Old coaches for sale - What are these?

Kris

• Kris changed the title to Old coaches for sale - What are these?

Cambourne & Redruth Tramways would be the nearest operator to that area and they had Milnes bodied passenger cars.

Nothing listed on the Railway Heritage Register Tram Survey Project for anything surviving from that system or anything in the Penzance area.

http://wpehs.org.uk/camborne-redruth-light-railways-tramway

The windows don't match though.....

Edited by Johann Marsbar
added link
  • Informative/Useful 1

I've just been looking up the book on the Cambone and Redruth Tramway (Cornwalls Electric Tramcars, L.Fisher Barham, Glasney Press, 1972).  The large cars only had three window sections, not four and the smaller cars had two.  The book states "... were all broken up and it was the company's policy that none should be sold partially intact to litter the district as sheds."

Plymouth's  cars are a more likey source. See: http://www.tramwaybadgesandbuttons.com/page148/page151/page336/files/p_00010_19330crop.jpg 

Car 24.

Edited by steve W
link added
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Cambourne & Redruth Tramways would be the nearest operator to that area and they had Milnes bodied passenger cars.

Nothing listed on the Railway Heritage Register Tram Survey Project for anything surviving from that system or anything in the Penzance area.

http://wpehs.org.uk/camborne-redruth-light-railways-tramway

The windows don't match though.....

My first though was of the Camborne and Redruth tramway. 

I've copied the original sale advert to the chap who runs the British Trams Online website, so the subject will no doubt appear on there in the coming days....

The LCC trailer at Canvey certainly seems to match the ones that are for sale - particularly the vertical planking on the side panels.   The LT Museum  seem to have parts for an LCC trailer in store as well.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
Extra info added
  • Informative/Useful 1

Having erronously  suggested Plymouth, I passed the query on to a friend who is very much a London tram enthusiast and he has now come back with a likely explanation:

"...........concerning grounded vehicle bodies in Cornwall: I have done some research and they are ex-LCC trailer bodies, the unusual ventilator arrangement, number and proportion of the windows and the straight matchboard sides are the indicators.  The LCC trailers were in operation 1913-24 on the south side when their use was discontinued as part of the drive to speed up services in response to growing bus competition, because they were withdrawn early they had a high residual book value so the LCC was keen to sell them intact rather than scrap them.  The reason that they made it to Kernow is that there were 150 of them, and in body only form they were easily transported due to their small size and light weight construction.  They were for their day technically quite advanced; ball bearing axleboxes and an ingenious automatic brake held off by spring pressure against drawbar pull, and if the drawgear totally failed on an upgrade a runaway was virtually impossible."

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

On today’s (20 March 2021) news on the CRS website:

”These vehicles were used as living accommodation at Kenneggy Downs for many years by Mr & Mrs Ned Thomas.  In the early 1960's the old tram bodies they were moved to another location in the area where they have remained until mid March 2021, however as building work was about to commence on this site these historic vehicles have been been moved and  placed into temporary storage locally by Mr Andrew Newport, a haulage contractor and a transport enthusiast of Penzance. Mr. Newport  would like to find a good home for these historic trams where they can undergo restoration. ”

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I didn't think that I would be adding anything further to this thread, however I went out for a walk this afternoon and happened to look across a field and noticed that both of these coaches have arrived there. Knowing the owner of the site, I would guess that restoration will be taking place, at what speed however is anyones guess. 

@pb_devon @Johann Marsbar

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1