So what is the explanation for this method of loading?

cctransuk

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Does anyone know what station that is?

If the location has a loco shed, perhaps these might be Special Traffic Notices (STNs) etc destined for an MPD? The loco shows 'light engine' lamp code.

Empty water churns from Bruton Road Crossing were sometimes carried on S&D loco buffer beams.

Brian

55 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello everyone

Does anyone know what station that is?

If the location has a loco shed, perhaps these might be Special Traffic Notices (STNs) etc destined for an MPD? The loco shows 'light engine' lamp code.

Empty water churns from Bruton Road Crossing were sometimes carried on S&D loco buffer beams.

Brian

It looks like Banbury, in the north-facing bay; if so, it's the wrong direction for the shed, I believe.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Something to be dropped off en route - signal box or crossing keeper perhaps? Or something the crew are carrying home, no room in cab? I've seen bikes carried like that.

Stewart

edit to add - no room inside boiler or tender for the DCC chip?

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

Engines generally carried two headlamps, and it wasn't unusual when running light engine to, perhaps, a terminus station to work an express, to place one on the tender and the other above one of the engine's buffers. After hooking on, the fireman would remove the one from the tender and place it over the other buffer, ready to depart.

I'm not sure what class of train the Five is, presumably, about to work, but it could be a Class C parcels, so one in the middle, as seen, and the other over the right hand buffer.

Really, your guess is as good as mine.

• RMweb Gold

Makes me think of the Ivor The Engine episode where Jones is handed a parcel of fish to carry. He is told to be careful, she wants it fresh, not smoked. To which Jones replies that he’ll put it on top of the coal. “She can have it black”. 

Andi

14 minutes ago, Dagworth said:

Makes me think of the Ivor The Engine episode where Jones is handed a parcel of fish to carry. He is told to be careful, she wants it fresh, not smoked. To which Jones replies that he’ll put it on top of the coal. “She can have it black”. 

Andi

I was thinking exactly the same.

" is it coal you'll  be wanting?:

"Why what else have you got?"

" we've only  got  coal"

" we'll  have coal then"

Brilliant dialogue in what I think  was episode 1

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Possibly going to take them across to the offices in the Hump Yard?

I remember hitching a lift a couple of times, once taking a box of batteries out to a motor worked Distant signal and the other to do a repair on a pole route in mid section by that means. Much easier than getting it into the back cab of a diesel although the Coventry parcels pilot with its low sided wagon attached was commandeered to take an AWS magnet and our tools to a signal out towards Canley.

• Like 2