Hornby rocket

Just bought a Hornby r3810 rocket and one of the wires between loco and tender has come off.

Much too small for me to solder and as I bought off Ebay return not possible.

Any suggestions?

Update. I have just received my repaired rocket back from Hornby. Repaired under warranty, thank you Hornby.

Edited by Zachariah

I had to fix mine - it arrived with a broken draw pin.  Hornby sent a replacement tender body which required soldering then re soldering the tender wiring.  Re soldering is doable with household soldering irons, but does require patience, good light and a steady hand.

• Like 1

Likewise, I had t resolder one wire after it dropped off from handling when putting the locomotive away. As hap said, it "does require patience, good light and a steady hand",and I would add that a fine soldering iron tip and an Optivisor or similar magnifier of some sort also help considerably.

A longer term plan on my radar would be to replace the rather stiff Hornby wire with some more flexible DCC decoder wire, which would also go some way to alleviating the problem of the wires lifting the front wheels of the tender off the track a bit, improving the overall electrical pickup of the loco and tender combination.

• RMweb Premium

It's a common problem. There is a long running topic in the Hornby section, this post is relevant:

If you are not confident at soldering it yourselfthen find someone who can, there must still be people doing repairs.

As for return not being possible, was it sold as a working model? You still have rights, even if the seller says no returns.