Bachmann GWR class 57

Shoey

Good evening, I’m just wondering whether anyone has purchased and received the latest GWR 57. The reason I’m asking as I already have the first release which was 32-756 57603 ‘Tintagel Castle’ but this latest release being 32-756A 57602 ‘Restormel Castle’ looks a different green and finish. I’m just wondering if anyone can confirm this as I’d like to have them running double headed but feel it’ll look a little odd if they are of a slightly different colour and finish.

Many thanks in advance.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi rob D2, I didn’t think to look at Kernow’s website but I just have now and it certainly is the case that this current version is a different finish compared to the previous release. Colour is difficult to tell from pictures but I’d imagine it will differ ever so slightly due to the finish. Hmmmm what to do now??

Interesting to see that the west coast 57 is more expensive than the GWR and Arriva Wales version.

7 hours ago, Shoey said:

Hi rob D2, I didn’t think to look at Kernow’s website but I just have now and it certainly is the case that this current version is a different finish compared to the previous release. Colour is difficult to tell from pictures but I’d imagine it will differ ever so slightly due to the finish. Hmmmm what to do now??

Interesting to see that the west coast 57 is more expensive than the GWR and Arriva Wales version.

Licensing the logo cost more ?
 you say you  are worried as you want to double head them , but did this ever happen or do you just fancy it ?

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Shoey said:

Buy 57604 (hint hint) and am about to list a mint unused version on ebay ^_^

Roy

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, vlvstvir said:

I just ordered one of these from Kernow - now I just have to try and track down some mk3 SLEPs to go with it, which is proving near on impossible!

I was going to order the GWR 57 too, but having searched Kernow themselves and Ebay for the GWR Green Sleeper MK3s, Kernow appear to have sold out and their are none on Ebay either. I think this will be an issue regarding how many people will buy this loco. The loco is available currently with many retailers in large quantities, but the coaches are very thin on the ground. With this in mind I have decided not to buy the GWR 57. 

I also think that their will be a similar issue with regards as to how well the 57314 loco sells in Arriva Trains Wales Blue livery. I don't think that any Arriva coaches have ever been produced in ready to run form in OO Gauge, and 314 has worn West Coast Railway Maroon livery for years now, and typically works the Northern Belle luxury train. 

I suppose this is the issue when producing locos which in reality have run with a limited amount of stock, so to be prototypical in model form, this also means that their are limited items of rolling stock available to buy and run with these locos. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

3 minutes ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

I was going to order the GWR 57 too, but having searched Kernow themselves and Ebay for the GWR Green Sleeper MK3s, Kernow appear to have sold out and their are none on Ebay either. I think this will be an issue regarding how many people will buy this loco. The loco is available currently with many retailers in large quantities, but the coaches are very thin on the ground. With this in mind I have decided not to buy the GWR 57. 

I also think that their will be a similar issue with regards as to how well the 57314 loco sells in Arriva Trains Wales Blue livery. I don't think that any Arriva coaches have ever been produced in ready to run form in OO Gauge, and 314 has worn West Coast Railway Maroon livery for years now, and typically works the Northern Belle luxury train. 

I suppose this is the issue when producing locos which in reality have run with a limited amount of stock, so to be prototypical in model form, this also means that their are limited items of rolling stock available to buy and run with these locos. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Admittedly if you want to model the Night Riviera accurately, it would involve a fair bit of modifying and respraying, as the RFM and BSO aren't available RTR.  I think the Hornby packs just use a TGS?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a note on top and tailing...

but dont they do this every morning and every evening between Reading and London ?

saves a driver and a path, by adding it to the rear of the inbound in the early hours, and dragging the inbound loco with the stock back, and in reverse in the evening, with the ECS to London.

or has this practice stopped ?

regarding the sleeper stock, the “day” coaches (FO etc) you can use sLam door Mk3 HST counterparts, and railtec do replacement transfers. The print on the HST coaches practically falls off by rubbing your fingers its so easy.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

regarding the sleeper stop, the “day” coaches (FO etc) you can use sLam door Mk3 HST counterparts, and railtec do replacement transfers. The print on the HST coaches practically falls off by rubbing your fingers its so easy.

The only problem with doing this, is that the matte band that wraps side, is actually different - on the sleeper it’s on the left, on HST stock it’s on the right! 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, vlvstvir said:

Admittedly if you want to model the Night Riviera accurately, it would involve a fair bit of modifying and respraying, as the RFM and BSO aren't available RTR.  I think the Hornby packs just use a TGS?

That's true, I had forgotten about that. Yes I'm pretty sure that the Kernow sleeper packs that have been available in both FGW and GWR liveries have used the TGS tooling, and that the RFM and BSO coaches have not been produced. 

Have you managed to find any MK3 sleepers in GWR Green? I haven't managed to find any. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

4 hours ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Regarding the ATW 57, There's a few options with this although Arriva Stock itself is limited - If you can get hold of the Hornby Mk3 RFM, then you would need to repaint 3 Mk2s for an ATW Rake. They have also worked with Anglia Mk2s on the Cardiff - Taunton FGW Hire ins, and occasionally the Night Riviera Sleeper (as I've modelled mine on). 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, vlvstvir said:

The only problem with doing this, is that the matte band that wraps side, is actually different - on the sleeper it’s on the left, on HST stock it’s on the right! 

Given all the rest of the inaccuracies and compromises, I dont think it matters. Its between that and nowt until someone expands the mk3 legacy stock range.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Just a note on top and tailing...

but dont they do this every morning and every evening between Reading and London ?

saves a driver and a path, by adding it to the rear of the inbound in the early hours, and dragging the inbound loco with the stock back, and in reverse in the evening, with the ECS to London.

or has this practice stopped ?………………

No it still happens, it’s standard routine.

5C50 Reading TCD - London Paddington (2x57 TnT)

1C50 London Paddington - Penzance (2x57 TnT as far as Reading, rear Loco detaches (0C50) and either stables in the Station or drops onto the TCD. 1x57 continues forward.)

1A50 Penzance- London Paddington (1x 57 as far as Reading, 0A50 drops onto the rear, 2x57 TnT forward)

5A50 London Paddington - Reading TCD (2x 57 TnT)

sometimes if one of the 57s is required at Long Rock (for exam as an example) it will be put on the train as the pilot Loco but instead of detaching at Reading , the sleeper will carry on to Penzance TnT.

(vice versa the other way too)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vlvstvir said:

Going back to the Bachmann model - am I right in thinking the lights at each end should have black surrounds, rather than yellow as depicted on the model? 

AFAIK 57602 is the only one that doesn’t have the black surrounding the lights. Previous Bachmann GWR 57603 model had black surrounds.

Edited by Shoey