The Heljan 47xx or a new Hornby large prairie: which to get?

Hello all,

Im considering getting one of these.

Either the Heljan 47xx, pictured below, or the Hornby large prairie. One big factor is cost, as I’m in the USA the cost of a Heljan 47xx is over $200. 

61A20093-BB75-4E60-B003-0C79C0FC69E1.jpeg.41b9d84c215101c59c4f5c0ae0fe7cf1.jpeg

(Credit)

32EDAE18-874D-49F4-9197-D3FC07EF3E5E.jpeg.2ee4da2c4616f6ca510b1d18d59a643a.jpeg
(Credit)

So, the big question. Which one is better value for money, or just better overall?

Douglas

• RMweb Premium

I am a big fan of Consols so I would get the 47. You do not say what the Prairie costs but if it is more affordable, go for it. It has its own charm and would fit your layout scheme better than the 47. Of course, if you really want a 2-8-0, Bachmann does offer a PRR H-10. I almost bought one until I realized that it is HO and not On2½. :(

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s a difficult question to answer. The prototypes were designed and used for very different traffic, and you don’t indicate how much that factor is important to you. Both locomotives were ‘mixed traffic’ designs so could be seen on freight or passenger work. The 47xx was primarily used on main line routes and is most associated with night freight working. The Prairies were  used on a wider range of routes and traffic from commuter and cross country/branch line work to freight. So the Prairie is more flexible in its operating applications.

Both models are well regarded, I’ve no experience of the Heljan 47, however there’s a review of the prairies here that may help https://albionyard.net/?s=R3723&submit=Search

• RMweb Gold

There were 210 locos of the 5101 and 61xx classes that can be represented by the Hornby large prairie model, and they were spread  over most of the GW and BR Western Region, having 'blue' route avaiability.  The only difference between a 5101 and a 61xx is the latter's higher boiler pressure, which of course is not a visible difference.  The 47xx numbered 9 locos and were even more route restricted than the Kings; Paddington-Plymouth via West of England main line or Bath/Bristol, and Birmingham direct route as far as Wolverhampton. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 1

The chances of getting a 47xx Stateside in one piece is negligible.

Packaging is junk.

I've had two here in Canada that arrived in more pieces than the average kit!

For that reason alone the 61xx is a safer bet. ( my model of that loco arrived perfect!)

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Hello all,

Im considering getting one of these.

Either the Heljan 47xx, pictured below, or the Hornby large prairie. One big factor is cost, as I’m in the USA the cost of a Heljan 47xx is over $200. 

61A20093-BB75-4E60-B003-0C79C0FC69E1.jpeg.41b9d84c215101c59c4f5c0ae0fe7cf1.jpeg

(Credit)

32EDAE18-874D-49F4-9197-D3FC07EF3E5E.jpeg.2ee4da2c4616f6ca510b1d18d59a643a.jpeg
(Credit)

So, the big question. Which one is better value for money, or just better overall?

Douglas

I would go for the large prairie personally. Apart from the QC issues with the 47xx there are some pretty basic errors in the model.

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The 47xx numbered 9 locos and were even more route restricted than the Kings; Paddington-Plymouth via West of England main line or Bath/Bristol, and Birmingham direct route as far as Wolverhampton. 

They also worked through to Birkenhead, passing through Wrexham around 7.00pm on a fast freight (meat?) to London I think (Smithfield?).

Kings could only work as far as Shrewsbury in those days due (I think) to weight restrictions on the viaducts etc. between there and Chester.

Edited by 5050
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, 5050 said:

They also worked through to Birkenhead, passing through Wrexham around 7.00pm on a fast freight (meat?) to London I think (Smithfield?).

Kings could only work as far as Shrewsbury in those days due (I think) to weight restrictions on the viaducts etc. between there and Chester.

The 47xx went on a few lines where Kings were not allowed, including as you say The Meat from Birkenhead to Acton. The biggest problem was getting them into yards because of the fixed wheelbase rather than weight.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The 47xx numbered 9 locos and were even more route restricted than the Kings; Paddington-Plymouth via West of England main line or Bath/Bristol, and Birmingham direct route as far as Wolverhampton. 

The 47xx were a small class built for a specific purpose. The trains worked by them required what was available in traffic except at weekends which led to them appearing on holiday reliefs. 

They were permitted via the Oxford route to Birmingham and the OWW,  indeed the local restrictions for Worcester listed roads in Worcester shed and yard over which they were prohibited. 

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

A case where a smaller wheeled 4-6-0 could do the work just as well with much better route availability and versatility. After trials with the rebuilt Saint Martin all new construction was Halls instead, with the Granges appearing later.

So whilst they weren't failures it was their limited route availability that meant no more were built.

As for the model. There's something about it that just doesn't look right to me. Can't quite put my finger on it though. Pity as the LNER O2 is a cracker and amongst the best of my bigger freight locos.

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Depending on which livery is of interest, Kernow currently have 4782 Heljan 47xx Class Steam Locomotive number 4707, in GWR Green livery with GW lettering, listed at £129.99:

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55165/4782-Heljan-47xx-Class-Steam-Locomotive-number-4707-in-GWR-Green

cheers,

Keith

• Informative/Useful 1