Rail built signal pictures

Look out for a copy of George Pryer's book "Southern Signals" published by OPC. There is also a drawing of a rail built signal and detailed instructions in the book "Modelling Semaphore signals published by "Book Law". Mick Nicholson.

ive been searching all over google and the internet for pictures of rail built signals just wondered if anybody could help me out

cheers dave

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Now if you had said before I visisted the Kent and East Sussex. I may have one or two on the camera will have a sort through.

A good plan wouldbe a trip to the Mid Hants, Bluebell and Kent and East Sussex.

Donw

• RMweb Premium

Google ? google images "rail built signal". As always, a bit variable - you'll need to ignore the photos of models, and no doubt some of them happen to be pages with all three words (double quotes used to work reliably, now they can be a bit iffy).

Actually, when you exlude the models, it's just signalbox.org and bluebell-railway.co.uk.

ĸen

• 9 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just come across this topic.  

So,  did the southern paint the spectacle plates of stop signals red or black? I can find examples of both on line, and the one above at Amberley seems to be weathered to be midway between the two.

It seems that the ones painted red are more of a red oxide colour rather than signal red.

Distant signals appear to always have black spectacle plates.

Any comments?

20 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Just come across this topic.  

So,  did the southern paint the spectacle plates of stop signals red or black? I can find examples of both on line, and the one above at Amberley seems to be weathered to be midway between the two.

It seems that the ones painted red are more of a red oxide colour rather than signal red.

Distant signals appear to always have black spectacle plates.

Any comments?

The answer is not quite that simple :-)

Firstly, it varied between LQ and UQ arms, given that the different style of spectacle plates affected the overall length of 'arm' that required to be red. Secondly, the official SR paint spec required the bottom half of UQ plates to be red, but the upper half to be grey.

To a large extent it 'all depends' upon who painted it, and when, and whether to 'local' or regional specifications. Further complications of course on ex-SR lines west of Salisbury once BR(W) took control.

And for finials it gets even worse......:-(

• Like 1

The Southern Railway painted the spectacle plates of its signals, rail-built or not, mid-grey. However, this wasn't always adhered to by the painting gangs and one could find examples of black (or very dark grey) spectacle plates in the same way that one could find similarly painted caps on rail-built signals (which should have been white).

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, RailWest said:

Secondly, the official SR paint spec required the bottom half of UQ plates to be red, but the upper half to be grey

Hi Chris, I don't quite understand this bit...

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, bécasse said:

The Southern Railway painted the spectacle plates of its signals, rail-built or not, mid-grey. However, this wasn't always adhered to by the painting gangs and one could find examples of black (or very dark grey) spectacle plates in the same way that one could find similarly painted caps on rail-built signals (which should have been white).

Plenty of pictures of red ones online such as this...https://images.app.goo.gl/dr8mXCg7kddr68rM7

Is this wrong?

27 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Plenty of pictures of red ones online such as this...https://images.app.goo.gl/dr8mXCg7kddr68rM7

Is this wrong?

Not according to the specification (as taken from the HMRS Register) :-)

Bottom half of the spectacle plate red, upper part Grey No 8.

But then, there are always photos to be found of ones that were different...

1712368298_LSWR-SRsignalpainting.jpg.e527f766587fb262d5ec14d2767d596d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Chris, the Southern Railway didn't use the HMRS livery register as it's specification, not least because the HMRS publication is much more recent! The Railway did, however, have its own paint specification sheets (which didn't look like the HMRS one), although, as I have pointed out, not every painting gang religiously followed the specification. I can also think of at least one location where space considerations meant that a pair of signals consisted of no more than the spectacle plates - and even they were painted grey.

• RMweb Gold

These are what I can round up, mainly from preserved lines, but some photographed just before they were replaced near here - Newhaven & Bexhill. It is only the short one on the right that is rail-built at Horsted Keynes, I think.

Haven Street signals backs 31 5 2013.jpg

Haven Street signals front view 31 5 2013.jpg

Horsted Keynes signals 19 4 2011.jpg

IOW Steam Railway No11 & vintage train Haven St 19 7 2018.jpg

Newhaven Marine's rail built semaphore signal 4 2 2016 4net.jpg

Newhaven signal 9 4 2010 & 15 10 2011.jpg

Semaphore signals before replacement Bexhill 20 1 2015.jpg

x SR 462 34018 Axminster Southampton 1 5 1965.jpg

2 hours ago, bécasse said:

Chris, the Southern Railway didn't use the HMRS livery register as it's specification, not least because the HMRS publication is much more recent! .....

Quite true of course, but I simply used the HMRS page as it was the easiest 'quick reference' to hand. Mind you, it is the original not the later version .

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, phil_sutters said:

These are what I can round up, mainly from preserved lines, but some photographed just before they were replaced near here - Newhaven & Bexhill. It is only the short one on the right that is rail-built at Horsted Keynes, I think.

Haven Street signals backs 31 5 2013.jpg

Haven Street signals front view 31 5 2013.jpg

Horsted Keynes signals 19 4 2011.jpg

IOW Steam Railway No11 & vintage train Haven St 19 7 2018.jpg

Newhaven Marine's rail built semaphore signal 4 2 2016 4net.jpg

Newhaven signal 9 4 2010 & 15 10 2011.jpg

Semaphore signals before replacement Bexhill 20 1 2015.jpg

x SR 462 34018 Axminster Southampton 1 5 1965.jpg

My photos of Havenstreet and on the Bluebell taken a year or two ealier agree with yours.  I  would have beeen able to ask people who knew the Isle of Wight ones from when they first took it over.  We moved there to look after the in-laws and I then discovered the IOW 0 gauge group met just up the road from our place. I am not sure Marion believed it was serendipity.

Don

• Like 1