Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Model shops as community hubs?

• Administrators

Interesting piece from Toy News:

https://www.toynews-online.biz/2021/02/04/indie-insight-all-aboard-and-building-a-community-the-bus-stop-toy-shop-way/

An independent toy shop making a success of the business my encouraging customers to come in and play. Perhaps some ideas for model shops once they can open the doors again?

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

The model shop in Barnsley has a table in its centre and whenever I’m in there  there’s a game of some description going on. Sometimes there’s even a bit of modeling going on. It’s seem more related to fantasy war gaming as I think that’s what the owner is more interested in. I know one of our MRC members spends a bit of time there watching what’s going off. I don’t think he particularly interested but being single it’s a way of passing some time.

Robert

Following the warhammer and table top gaming approach which works exceptionally well.

I once looked into whether this would work for model railways - basically provide a small maker space for people to do some modelling, but the insurance was very high once you put out pots of plastic weld etc. The sales would have to cover this which meant having to charge full rrp on rolling stock. Also takes up space so has to generate a lot of extra sales to be worthwhile.

I’d be fascinated to see it tried out though.

David

• Informative/Useful 2

Around 50 years ago! this could be found in some towns with shops having slot-racing setups for customers to use. There was also a model shop near me that hosted a model clubs evenings. 

I have often thought that the Co-op approach might work for modelling. A groups of modellers get together to set, run and own their own store. With falling high street rentals this might also provide the group with the site for a club-house.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Perhaps some ideas for model shops once they can open the doors again?

So how's that going to work down at your local? :biggrin_mini2:

There are some shops that can't get rid of some people (self included in different times).

• Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Don't know if this was a national thing or not but my local co-op used to run Lego building competitions. Was great for Mum as she left me with them to build and went off shopping in peace!

I did win 3rd prize once, built a very large class 20 diesel, complete with a bit of track. Prize was a little lego plane, plus what I built. Wish I'd stuffed the empty body with loads of special bits LOL

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

This is the basic mod

1 hour ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Following the warhammer and table top gaming approach which works exceptionally well.

I once looked into whether this would work for model railways - basically provide a small maker space for people to do some modelling, but the insurance was very high once you put out pots of plastic weld etc. The sales would have to cover this which meant having to charge full rrp on rolling stock. Also takes up space so has to generate a lot of extra sales to be worthwhile.

I’d be fascinated to see it tried out though.

David

Something worth bearing in mind with the Warhammer model is that their shops are a loss leader for the company. Only a handful actually turn a profit, but that's all worked into the business model. The real idea behind the shops is to get people hooked on to the hobby - sure, they catch the eye, they carry supplies, but the real money comes from mail order. Games Workshop is all about vertical integration. They produce the miniatures, they publish the books and magazines, they sell paints, glue and tools, they run the shops. The whole hobby is based on that. Their painting guides, for instance, will specify the Citadel Miniatures paints (another brand owned by GW) that you can use to replicate the effects. So there's no risk that someone will come in, get into the hobby, then spend their money somewhere cheaper.

That's not to say that this kind of shop couldn't be imitated, but I think you'd need someone big behind it. My thought would be Hattons, who have a strong presence, stock more-or-less everything and can sell things cheaply. Or Hornby, whose direct sales aren't cheaper than the box-shifters, but who have brand recognition and produce just about everything you need to get started. You'd also need very good salespeople. At the risk of sounding cold-blooded, you need a way to convince people to spend money here, or at least with us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Interesting . Largs is not far away and I used to go there relatively often before lockdown . Its a nice wee coastal resort on the Clyde . Its not far away from Wemyss Bay that recently featured in the Railway Architecture TV series , although Largs station is no where near as nice . A class 318 that didn't slow down enough and went straight through the station , a neat trick as its a terminus , put paid to that . Fortunately no one was injured but I bet a lot of underwear needed cleaning !   However I wasn't aware of this shop . 

I'd often thought, or dreamed more like ,of opening a model shop or book shop when I retired . It would be like a meeting place for people and thought of combining it with a coffee shop /cafe . But the more you get into it the more involved it gets . Also while I have the capital , you are really putting it at risk by going into a venture like that at retirement .

There are so few Model Shops around that they could become destinations in their own right . Look at what Rails of Sheffield has done for instance . I bet they attract travellers from miles away just to visit their shop.  Before Covid I used to take trips to Edinburgh , nice train journey, but objective was to visit Wonderland and Harburn Hobbies . So model shop tourism could be a thing , especially if the destination had other things on offer ie a Coastal resort , nice walks etc . A combination Costa Coffee / Model Shop could work though , although you really need to encourage folk to part with cash and not just hang around .  On the plus side I can see initiatives to re fill the High Street with business rate relief  on the downside there are the increasing number of suppliers who will deal with customers directly cutting out retail . You can already see the trends. 

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

It strikes me with the amount of armchair modelling that a physical rather than virtual forum themed Pub or Costa / Starbucks type shop with a few models in the corner would be more likely to succeed ;)

1998 NG germany_02 (7)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 05/02/2021 at 12:57, MyRule1 said:

Around 50 years ago! this could be found in some towns with shops having slot-racing setups for customers to use. There was also a model shop near me that hosted a model clubs evenings. 

I have often thought that the Co-op approach might work for modelling. A groups of modellers get together to set, run and own their own store. With falling high street rentals this might also provide the group with the site for a club-house.

A slight aside of this is the Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway shop in the centre of town.  It is mostly staffed by railway modellers as such, but all of them are involved with the 'big' railway side, to varying degrees.  The shop originally started as a tourist Information Centre, and has been running successfully for 20+ years.  The modelling side of things grew organically, which is how most businesses sometimes grow.  The shop has grown, as the railway itself has grown. One major upside is that booking for big events, such as Christmas & Easter, routinely take place within the shop. Although not a stand-alone hub, the Railway shop is known as an integral part of slightly larger hub.  

• Like 1

On 05/02/2021 at 14:54, HonestTom said:

Something worth bearing in mind with the Warhammer model is that their shops are a loss leader for the company. Only a handful actually turn a profit, but that's all worked into the business model.

Whilst much of what you right is correct, this part is not, very few Games Workshop / Warhammer shops make a loss, most are quite profitable.

I play quite a lot of board game and board game shops (most of which are independent businesses) mostly have an area where you can go and play board games ( or table top games), often having a cafe or similar as part of the setup.  Given these are small businesses it is difficult to assess how profitable they are but many I use (or at least did until recently) have been in business for a number of years - so clearly had to making some money.

I think it’s a great way to support a hobby, but slightly more difficult to do successfully in the realm of model railways.