12 minutes ago, russ p said:

According to that article there are still 1000 350s in service! 

And left out how dreadful the 17s were that they often ran in pairs incase one went kaput. Kind of like asking Lucas to wire your house.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, russ p said:

Actually the article said, "Even so, some of the over 1000 derivatives are still in service today." (my bold)

Not sure what they meant by derivatives here?

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Welly said:

Actually the article said, "Even so, some of the over 1000 derivatives are still in service today." (my bold)

Not sure what they meant by derivatives here?

Agreed the grammar could better be.  ;)

I expect they are referring to the Class 08, 09, 10 and the 11s, at a push.

They're not that much of a problem to start. You just have to manually pump up the oil pressure beforehand if your doing it properly. At least I think it's the oil pressure, I've only done it once and it was a couple of minutes of pumping something and away it went.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

Agreed the grammar could better be.  ;)

I expect they are referring to the Class 08, 09, 10 and the 11s, at a push.

Handful of NS 600s as well.

2 hours ago, Zomboid said:

They're not that much of a problem to start. You just have to manually pump up the oil pressure beforehand if your doing it properly. At least I think it's the oil pressure, I've only done it once and it was a couple of minutes of pumping something and away it went.

Pretty confident it was a fuel pump. 

• Agree 1

I have an operational oo gauge diesel electric bo-bo loco, which I choose to call a 'class 18', entirely fictitious of course   The story being that a stretched 08 was offered first to the overseas market (some reality in there) and the prototype (only)  ''was eventually sold to BR''.  Two 08 bodies butchered of course,  etc etc  Looks quite good in fact 

08's were never a problem to start,

And yes the manual pump is / was (a lot of locos were  retro fitted with an electric pump) for  fuel and didn't need to be pumped before starting- unless of course the header tank had been allowed to run dry!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are two different manual pumps on 350s, the fuel transfer pump in the cab that takes fuel from the main to the header tank, and the oil priming pump in the engine compartment that should be used for a couple of minutes before attempting to start the engine. 

Andi

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

The issue with starting 08s, common to most 1st Gen. locos /DMUs, was the HP7 battery used.

Plus, in the case of shunters, often being outstationed at yards, they were remote from chargers / replacements if they failed to start.

The manual pump in the cab was the fuel transfer pump (main tank to header tank above it, which then gravity fed the engine) but IIRC, there was also another manual pump behind the front engine bay door for lub. oil priming

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, russ p said:

Also according to that article;

"the largest locomotive built in the UK in over 20 years."

Erm, no, that was Tornado

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 101 said:

08's were never a problem to start,

And yes the manual pump is / was (a lot of locos were  retro fitted with an electric pump) for  fuel and didn't need to be pumped before starting- unless of course the header tank had been allowed to run dry!

Mmmm so you must of known some of the 'old's hand drivers who use to allow header tank to drop to near zero...

Told on old Dodger on reliving me one day I had pumped it up to max! He made me a brew in mess room(never heard of!) And went out to shunt with a stride in his bowed out legs...didn't have the heart to tell him th 08 had been swamped for a pump fitted one...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Without wishing to go off topic, all your manual transfer pumps on an 08 

It takes a Peterborough Driver with ingenuity !!! open forward facing window attach strong twine or similar to window wiper. and turn window wiper on ........ voila, air operated fuel transfer pump that you don't need to touch all shift.

Edited by berwicksfinest
spelling
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, berwicksfinest said:

Without wishing to go off topic, all your manual transfer pumps on an 08 

It takes a Peterborough Driver with ingenuity !!! open forward facing window attach strong twine or similar to window wiper. and turn window wiper on ........ voila, air operated fuel transfer pump that you don't need to touch all shift.

Sorry but your 30 years to late..... got a left arm like popeye the sailor man! At least both arms match!

To be sat on the ' comfortable class 08 seat' only left arm could reach! I say comfortable.... no so much on a allerton to Chester and return 08 move...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Sorry but your 30 years to late..... got a left arm like popeye the sailor man! At least both arms match!

To be sat on the ' comfortable class 08 seat' only left arm could reach! I say comfortable.... no so much on a allerton to Chester and return 08 move...

Just make sure you had a wooden chair key in the cab. 

Andi