K18 Full Brake Photos in the 40s

• RMweb Gold

Having finished building the body of my K18 full brake, I am now trying to plan for its finishing.  Unfortunately after combing through my copies of Russell there is only photos of the similar K19. Does anyone know of any published photos of the K18, ideally post war, from which I can determine if it should be in chocolate and cream or all over brown.  In the case of the former it will have to wait until I can airbrush again in the spring, but with the latter I have a suitable aerosol which would mean I can get it painted sooner...

In addition, were any K18 given the "to work between" branding, or used on the Penzance - Kensington milk during that post war period?  As far as I can see in my working timetable nothing is listed (although at the moment I can only find the formation for the empty return working for the Milk.) 

I did a similar search for photos of these vehicles a couple of years ago - they seem to be particularly camera shy!  I eventually found one view of one in BR Crimson and Cream and another - which appears to be the same vehicle - which is so grubby that it is impossible to determine what the livery was.  The pattern of replacement panelling by steel sheeting suggested that the photos were of the same vehicle but I was unable to reach a conclusion regarding the livery.

Sorry not to be more help but they are very elusive!

Gerry

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that, if I don’t find anything better I think I will go for all over brown (purely as it will look a little different to the majority of my coaching stock).

looking again at the instructions a photo would have been handy to confirm if it had steps at both ends still (though I don’t know how I’d have adapted the end to remove them )

• RMweb Premium

Here's a K22 I did in brown livery, in 3mm/ft:

Dscn0006b.jpg.fea4c4f71cb95da0dee8a445d9812b26.jpg

This was from Worsley Works etchings. Floor and sides came as one unit (I believe the original artwork came from Wright), but I separated them out and applied them, pre-painted, to a plastic shell. I used brown livery because, as I understood it, in the 1930s run of the mill full brakes were brown and the choc & cream ones were mainly those assigned to expresses and the like.

Nigel

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, NCB said:

as I understood it, in the 1930s run of the mill full brakes were brown and the choc & cream ones were mainly those assigned to expresses and the like.

Generally yes, although there's a well-known colour pic (probably now by Colour-Rail) of a Castle or King heading into Reading on an up express in 1946/7. The leading full brake is in brown and cream and is I think a K22.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Generally yes, although there's a well-known colour pic (probably now by Colour-Rail) of a Castle or King heading into Reading on an up express in 1946/7. The leading full brake is in brown and cream and is I think a K22.

I was in 2 minds about it and still am. After that I went on to start building a rake of late toplights (still in progress) in 1930s livery, and rather wish I'd painted it in brown and cream to match :(

Nigel