S & C

Hi, I'm new here, I'm just starting to build a layout (lockdown madness at 75?).  I've just bought my first loco LOL, even though I've no track!!  It's a Bachmann Super D.   I'm not too far from the S&C and I wondered if the Super D or the WD Austerity ran on that line.  I would imagine they did, they were quite widespread and there was plenty of them. but I've never seen any pic's of such.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

SuperD,

I believe there is a picture of one at Dent station in the early fifties in The Scenic Settle and Carlisle by Donald Binns.  It is the only picture I have seen of that type of loco on the line. 

Steve

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

WD Austerity 2-8-0s quite common; Super D's less so but not completely unknown. LMS 8F and 4F types were stock-in-trade for freight services on the route.

Of course, the WD type would only be seen post-war, ie BR era. You don't say whether your Super D is BR or LMS.

• Like 1

Gosh, you're pretty !! :heart_mini: Thank you very much, I am going to be predominantly BR (brought up in Wigan. 54/63, spotting days The usual mix of mainline, plus "the twins" and "Deltic".  Lots of very long coal trains, hence the loco's) with the occasional LMS train and, completely out of place the P2 with an NLER train.  I think the model is brilliant.  Bought a 4F today.

Super D don't be fooled by appearances he's a 20 stone brick layer during the week he only dresses like that at the week end but then again who doesn't?

Early 1950s would have seen black fives in charge of fast freight and local passenger workings.

Don't forget by the mid 1950s the standard types were starting to make there mark with the all conquering 9F eventually owning the line.

LNER4479 no offence my friend

• Like 1

On 07/02/2021 at 10:50, Londontram said:

Super D don't be fooled by appearances he's a 20 stone brick layer during the week he only dresses like that at the week end 

LNER4479 no offence my friend

Curses - rumbled!

Well, if you want a complete run down of BR steam era motive power, how long have you got?

Royal Scots and Jubilees for express workings. Joined in late 1950s by Britannias and even LNER A3 pacifics.

Occasional photos of BR 'Clan' pacifics on local stopper services.

For freight, add ex-LMS 'Crab' 2-6-0 locos.

Some of the older LMS 2P and 4P 'Compound' 4-4-0s about in earlier part of your time frame.

Various ex-LMS 2-6-4T and 2-6-2Ts on local services, eg Carlisle-Appleby and the famous Bradford-Hawes 'Bonnyface' service (till 1959)

Plenty to go at!

• Like 1