Exley

random

That image is indeed an Anbrico bogie. The bogie pivot hole was smaller as cast to take a split pin ala Exley. Much later, Tony Colbeck came to an arrangement with Roy dock at GEM wherebye the latter used the sideframes to make Equispring bogies.

Thanks for the info Random.

Yesterday I received 2 Restaurant Cars as per photos.  One in LMS livery and the other in SR livery.  There are 2 distinct variations, one as Random says the roof with ribs on the LMS one and full length rainstrips on the SR one, but, the LMS one also has pressings above the door windows.  These coaches were very dirty and have cleaned up well.  One side of the SR has had a few little touch ups this morning having tried to mix a green to suit.  The LMS needs a scratch doing when I can get a reasonable match.  What was different to others is the bogie fastening, this time a tinplate and card strip with 2 pressed protrusions to support the bogie.  For some reason these were length ways which had the coach rocking so I have turned them 90 degrees to prevent this.  Both coaches now have Bachmann bogies fitted.

post-22530-0-60724000-1398349555_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-18381100-1398349567_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-32884300-1398349580_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

With reference to Ramdoms mention of the GWR Restaurant car here are photos of both sides.  The glass is still waiting to be removed and cleaned and odd bits touched up on the bodysides.  The bogies on this coach appear to be more GWR but they will still be changed for Bachmann ones.  It is a pity Exley used the LMS style windows as I thought it would have been relatively easy to use two top vents instead of the four.

post-22530-0-07759200-1398359041_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-52838200-1398359051_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a repainted GWR suburban coach.  I have 3 or 4 badly damaged ones, mainly paintwise, so thought I would ry a Blood and Custard livery on them. Unfortunately I thoght about painting each side of the black and gold line so instead of stripping I rubbed down the original colours.  This resulted in some of the door relief disappearing but I did not want to put black lines on, hopfully the impression is still there from the door handles etc.  I will strip the next one to see if the relief shows up better, also a thicker coat was put on as it was brush painted in stead of spraying.  I did hand paint the door handles to keep away from using lining tape etc.  The "Blood" is a nice rich colour but the flash has softened it a little.

post-22530-0-56643100-1399058066_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

With reference to Ramdoms mention of the GWR Restaurant car here are photos of both sides.  The glass is still waiting to be removed and cleaned and odd bits touched up on the bodysides.  The bogies on this coach appear to be more GWR but they will still be changed for Bachmann ones.  It is a pity Exley used the LMS style windows as I thought it would have been relatively easy to use two top vents instead of the four.

This appears to be based on the 1920s composite Restaurant Cars, so the correct bogies would be the 7' Collett type, as fitted to Hornby's version. I wouldn't suggest using their bogies however - ride height problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are 2 more "scrap" suburbans this time repainted in BR maroon.  As these were ex GWR (without the guards ducket) I gave them Western region pre-fixes.  From what I understand suburbans did not have the black and yellow above the windows, that was used on main line stock only.  The right hand coach is not mounted on its bogies yet and is a little high as I am waiting for some more bogie mounts.  This time because I stripped the coaches the door relief does show up although better when closer.  Still another couple to do.

post-22530-0-10808900-1399889970_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That is interesting information.  I am going back to the mid/late 70's when I was doing some old Tri-ang suburbans and as I was working at the carriage works in York I got my friend, a signwriter in the paint shop there, to find out and this is what he told me.  If "brighter" Crimson, more like red, then no lining at all but if the darker Main line shade of maroon then below windows only.  He also got me a tin of genuine BR maroon but it was too dark for models as you cannot scale colour down, if I remember it looked okay in the tin but was too dark on a 4mm coach. 

Here is some of that paint along with a full size transfer he "aquired" for me along with some gold size before explaining how to fix it.  I still have another somewhere and a North Eastern one although the last time I saw them they were badly cracked..  The drawer these were in was full of them but officially the foreman was told to destroy them but he was really against that sort of thing so "hid" them which was a good job.  From what I heard though when he retired they all went "missing".

post-22530-0-53100500-1399920035_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a couple of Southern railway suburbans in very good condition.  These are based on the LMS ones with the guards ducket but have the eliptical rainstrips instead of the cross ribs.  Unlike the 2 restaurant cars where the SR one does not have the pressing above the doors these do.  The glass has been cleaned and replaced and they are now waiting for some Bachmann bogies to be fitted before placing on the layout.  What does show up is where the paint tends to flow away from the raised pressings, this is more noticeable with certain colours than others.

I missed the hair on the right hand end of the top one coach, it is not a scratch.

post-22530-0-67906300-1400187674_thumb.jpg

Griffin, here is another GWR info sheet that states some Maroon coaches did not have lining above the windows.  Look at the last paragraph of the 1956 timeline.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriescoach1948.html

There are always exceptions to trap the unwary.

I can't remember ever seeing any with only waist lining.

Edited by Il Grifone

Here are 2 more "scrap" suburbans this time repainted in BR maroon.

I do like the way you have used a nice gloss finish. I find that one of the attractions of the original finish.

Paint flowing away from raised areas is quite common on Exleys. Sometimes where the paint is rather thin, you get almost a metallic effect with the aluminium showing through on maroon coaches. The Southern brake suburban coach is sometimes found with a Romford or Zenith motor bogie to make an EMU if it is one with windows in the end. Although Exley probably did make suburban EMUs, I think that some were homemade adaptations. They do look quite good as a suburban EMU though - a good use for a couple more scrap brake suburbans with one or more ordinary subs as centre cars.

Hi Random, The finish is what drew everyone to Exleys I think before the fact they looked better than any other model of the day, and still do.  The gloss was as straight from the can thankfully as paint gloss seems better than varnish gloss.  The paint running from edges is always an issue especially if a primer is not used.  I doubt I will get to make an EMU as not enough "scrappers" come about.  I only have 6 but always on the look out for more.

• 7 months later...

I have just received a few Exleys in very good condition but surprised at their build style and or livery as these are different to any others I have.  The two "modern" Stanier coaches are the wooden floor ones but the lining is early LMS with Yellow/Black/Yellow around the windows.  They also have wire fillers fitted on the roof.  Were these standard models produced or painted specifically like this for a customer?

The single coach has the new last style separate floor with plastic underframe but with a one piece shell, that is the sides and roof are all one.  The windows are still glass and the seats are glued to the base as opposed to a separate channel.  The window style is different to other coaches too.

The remaing two coaches are constructed as per the single one with folded tin base, plastic underframes and glass but have yet again different window styles, different lining and, all three are different lengths.

post-22530-0-66261800-1419458386_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-49098200-1419458408_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-86751000-1419459147_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-46409800-1419459163_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-98722100-1419459186_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-58434200-1419459209_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here are 3 LMS Engineers saloons I have obtained and each one is different as the photos show.  One coach has a different roof pressing pattern which is not reversed and has the vents spaced closer together than the other two.  All 3 have different "frosted" glass panels and again all 3 have different numbers.  The ends are all different, one has no detail although replacement buffers, the other 2 have the same end casting but one has wire replacements along with wire on the roof.  One end has different sized windows.  Was this all a factory fitted option/modification or by a previous owner as his one does have steps on the solebar and a wire handrail from the centre door.

Please note none of these have been stripped, cleaned and polished like the previous posted coaches.  One has already had Bachmann bogies fitted making it slightly higher.

post-22530-0-46971000-1419536078_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-31395000-1419536098_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-73041100-1419536116_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-18541100-1419536126_thumb.jpg

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Like 4

Very nice to see the fully lined examples. I expect that fully lined coaches with the extra detail were made to a special order although I do not know whether Exley kept a stock of common models ready to run anyway. The models with rectangular almost square windows corners (without toplights on corridor stock) are not often found. Exley coaches seem to have gone through quite a few tooling changes where the same part looks similar at first glance but is different when examined with others together as with the inspection saloons.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a GWR sleeping car I have just aquired.  I knew Exley made LMS ones which I have so far been unable to obtain but this is a nice little model and will do as a single coach added to a main line rake as and when required.  This has been cleaned and polished up along with Bachmann Collett bogies fitted as usual.  It does have a very small chip in the cream which will be left for now as I have not got a good mix together for this colour.  The sleeping compartment windows were brown on the glass but this came off too easy when I was cleaning the glass so I repainted it with my own "Toilet" green/grey colour.   The small black flecks in one window are on the outside and not where I missed painting inside.  Now to look out for an LMS one (or two).

post-22530-0-09691700-1421004359_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-91095800-1421004436_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Here is a GWR sleeping car I have just aquired. I knew Exley made LMS ones which I have so far been unable to obtain but this is a nice little model and will do as a single coach added to a main line rake as and when required. This has been cleaned and polished up along with Bachmann Collett bogies fitted as usual. It does have a very small chip in the cream which will be left for now as I have not got a good mix together for this colour. The sleeping compartment windows were brown on the glass but this came off too easy when I was cleaning the glass so I repainted it with my own "Toilet" green/grey colour. The small black flecks in one window are on the outside and not where I missed painting inside. Now to look out for an LMS one (or two).

That's very nice Golden Fleece. I need a couple of GWR sleeping coaches for my layout and wondered how accurate the Exley models are. I don't have my GWR coach books to hand at the moment but if anyone can shed some light on this, I would be very grateful. I've just seen that there's another example on ebay at the moment, and it appears to be first class with a different window arrangement:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371232029061?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

(No connection to the seller)

Edited by BenL

Hello Ben, I have no idea on accuracy, especially as most of their GWR ones are based on Stanier designs, but, I just like Exley coaches.  These sleepers are different to the usual Dublo ones and they match the other Exley rakes for colour.  Obviously the window design is not Stanier in this case so maybe it is correct?  I have seen the other one and thought that was maybe second class example with windows close together giving 10 compartments compared to this which has 7 but the doors say Third on mine and what does look like First on the other one, maybe the Firsts had two windows per compartment? .  I do know they kept changing styles etc, the Engineers saloons are one example but I have recently collected 2 SR unmade kits (now made and running) and these are shorter than the standard coach with the roofs having vents only and no ribs.

Edited by Golden Fleece 30

Here are the two Southern kit coaches I have obtained.  These were the self assembly ones but minus seats.  They are shorter than the normal Exley mainline coach and based on the shorter Suburban size.  The green is a bit lighter and I would have preferred it to be like the older darker ones but I guess in the last years things like this changed due to supplies/availability etc.  The roofs have no ribs on but do have the vents pressed out as usual, the older SR ones had the long arc shaped ribs. The open brake for some reason is missing its painted door handles and these are not even pressed out.  Bachmann bogies are fitted as standard by myself. It has never ceased to amaze me with all these differences cropping up but it does make it interesting.

post-22530-0-89215600-1421180206_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the 1st class sleeping car recently aquired.  I have not cleaned or polished this coach as yet, this is straight from delivery but there seems to be a small dust mark around the window perimeters.  Both sides have different amounts/sizes of windows compared to the 3rd class one earlier.  Once stripped and cleaned I will decide on painting the compartment windows in the same shade as the toilet ones as these look brown too and may come off when being cleaned.  There are a couple of small chips to touch up but nothing major.  After that it will be the Bachmann bogies to fit then ready to couple up to a train.  Still looking for LMS/BR maroon ones.

post-22530-0-82912700-1421848454_thumb.jpg

post-22530-0-21720300-1421848571_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Tony, I take the floor out by undoing the 4 underframe clips in the solebars then the single link couplings are thrown away.  The glass is removed and the clips holding it in position are thrown away too.  The ends are left in place and the sides/roof washed and polished.  The glass is washed and dried then glued back in place with Evo-stick.  The floor and underframe are put back and the bogies removed.  I glue on my own etched mounting plate and fasten Bachmann bogies to the coaches and away they go.

If the paintwork is poor then the ends are taken off and the body stripped and re-sprayed etc as the two BR maroon ones.

I have most of the various different ones I own on here but still looking for more even though I have too many for the layout already. I do try to keep away from the ones without the window vents where these are painted on the glass but do have some etches to use if needed to fit as well as new etched underframes if required.

Kind regards

Garry

Hi Tony, I take the floor out by undoing the 4 underframe clips in the solebars then the single link couplings are thrown away.  The glass is removed and the clips holding it in position are thrown away too.  The ends are left in place and the sides/roof washed and polished.  The glass is washed and dried then glued back in place with Evo-stick.  The floor and underframe are put back and the bogies removed.  I glue on my own etched mounting plate and fasten Bachmann bogies to the coaches and away they go.

If the paintwork is poor then the ends are taken off and the body stripped and re-sprayed etc as the two BR maroon ones.

I have most of the various different ones I own on here but still looking for more even though I have too many for the layout already. I do try to keep away from the ones without the window vents where these are painted on the glass but do have some etches to use if needed to fit as well as new etched underframes if required.

Kind regards

Garry

Hi Garry.

Seems like you have it down to a fine art.

I've never taken one apart even though I have quite a few.

Here's one I just took out to photo when I got your reply.

Its GWR 4 wheel luggage van No 17.

IMG_2670.jpg

• Like 1