Brighton Works 377S - transfer options?

Jack P

Hi guys, 

I've got my hands on one of Hornby's 'Brighton Works' terriers, however it's going to need backdating to SR condition, with the running number 377S. 

None of the available LBSC transfers seem appropriate, in-fact the closest I've got are numbers from the HMRS Maunsell Coach sheet, the only issue is i'm not sure if they're supposed to be gold or yellow. If they're yellow, I can modify an 8 to look pretty close to an S, if they're gold, there's already one provided. 

I've enquired about having my own transfers made up, but the people i've spoken to so far don't believe it's possible with the photos that are available.

Does anyone else have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance 

Looking at photos of 377S, and, although it had only been allocated that number in 1947, it retained it (rather than DS377) until at least 1954, it would appear that the numbers and letters, including "BRIGHTON WORKS", were all the same size and had a distinct shine. That suggests that they were "gold" rather than yellow, and yellow probably wouldn't have stood out sufficiently against the Brighton "yellow" paint scheme anyway. The originals were almost certainly sign written by hand.

There are TWO colour photos of this loco taken within minutes - or even seconds - of each other in 'The Big Four in Colour' ........ take your pick whether you reckon the Kodachrome or the Dofaycolour is more accurate but they both show a distinct difference between the lettering and tank/bunker colour - and a HINT of a glint. According to 'Southern Style part two' lettering would have been "gold with emerald green shading" - though 'gold' can always be interpreted as 'old gold' or deep yellow. Best thing is to find lots of photos of "Boxhill" which was painted at the same time - and even "Gladstone" which was almost contemporary ..... I don't think either has been comprehensively repainted since..

18 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

There are TWO colour photos of this loco taken within minutes - or even seconds - of each other in 'The Big Four in Colour'

OH! I'd forgotten about these ones. My copy is still out on lend.

Generally it looks like the shading on the numbers is the same as the letters. I'm still undecided on font style, I think it looks like the numbers on the far right:

https://www.fox-transfers.co.uk/sr-maunsell-loco-lettering-numbering-62091

But in gold, with green shading - I would assume that it also has the white upper and black lower shading too?

I'm pretty confident there aren't any transfers readily available, so I will explore other options.