LMS wooden coaches in 1968

Fredo

Hi, since Bachmann have announced they are going to make a model of a LMS portal coach in Blue and Grey does anyone know where I can find a list of which LMS coaches were still in service (not departmental etc) in 1967/8. Thanks Fred

• RMweb Gold

Most remaining pre-nationalisation design coaches were withdrawn from revenue service by the end of steam, although a few soldiered on in special roles.

Robert Carroll's "BR Loco-hauled Coaching Stock 1948-97" page on groups.io  has a list of coaching stock transferred and withdrawn in 1968. This lists a large number of LMS coaches as withdrawn that year. It also has a list of pre-nationalisation coaches which were repainted blue/grey.

If not already a member you will need to join to access them.

• RMweb Premium

Robert Carroll  (robertcwp on RMWeb) has also published pictures of a "porthole" CK in Blue Grey.. lots of 12 wheel Stanier sleeper cars were repainted blue grey, along with the odd 50' BG. There was more than one BSK in blue grey too.  That is where I got the numbers for these

1992499592_BluegreyBTK.JPG.2bf1d9ac7cc1752b9a18a7e0bd41bc2a.JPG

and

168456098_BlueGreyTK.JPG.c36e2359077f73fd8e10a024152ab423.JPG

as used on the layout of Shap from LNER 4479 om here.

Baz

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I rode in a daytime relief train from Dundee to King's Cross (presumably originated Aberdeen) at the end of Easter 1976. The coach in the loco-hauled set was a porthole painted blue and grey - I recall that I was surprised to see such stock at that date. The relief ran about 10/15 minutes ahead of the service train - I also recall the very young lad with mother in the seat opposite was distraught at riding in such an old train, rather than waiting for the regular service. My suggestion that he could ride in new stock anytime, but that this was historic didn't impress him

7 hours ago, Fredo said:

Hi, did any LMS 1st Class coaches based on Bachmann 39-456 survive until 1968, does anyone know. Thanks Fred 

This recent book shows the condemnation dates of individual coaches, and what further use some had. 

image.png.168dc73aa24966965e8caf5c00c3d2fd.png

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul