Ks motor replacement

Having had experience of Anchoridge and similar replacement motors I would suggest if it has a K's Mk1 or Mk2 that you have it rebuilt or get another one off eBay.  We had an Anchoridge to replace a K's mK2 in a K's 28XX and three motors later its back with a K's Mk2. The Dukedog still hasn't been fixed  But I am looking for another K's motor.

K's have much better, more robust brush gear than Anchoridge etc and  tolerate much more abuse.

Hi David,  thanks for your thoughts.  I am attaching a pic of the motor.I'm not sure if it is a Ks Mk 1 or Mk 2....maybe you can help me on that. (The loco has the usual rusty wheels!).

From what you say, it would appear I need a new Ks motor.....are they still available?

I have a Ks motor that works OK in a Ks Fowler 2-6-2 tank engine ....but that needs to stay where it is!

Again, thanks for your ideas

John

E5A17C39-C13D-4141-9107-FB1FA157F3A1.jpeg

That is a HP2m nothing like mk1 or mk2 which were larger and longer lasting than that THING !

anything from a modern supplier will improve your model

depends on your skill level comet gearboxes are fairly easy to build I think DJH gearboxes might be to big for a terrier, Highlevel probably your best bet but a bit more fiddly if you have never built a gearbox before, the highlevel website has a useful gearbox size chart to give you a clue

personally if they are OK I would reuse the wheels to keep it as period piece fancy wheels would be a waist of money as the cost would go a long way to better detailed rtr model and take away from feeling of a K's kits

Edited by Graham456

Hi il Grifone and Graham 456...thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.  I thought I might just try a replacement motor.  Using the same worm gear set. Any thoughts on a Mashima for instance?  I've just got to get this loco moving again!

Edited by Chalk Farm
Spelling error

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, russell price said:

If you still want a replacement Ks HP2M i have several new ones never fitted to locos as we used Portescaps instead.

PM me if you still need one and we can sort you out.

An HP2m won't pull the skin off a rice pudding. It might just about manage to drive a cosmetic fan on a diesel loco.

You mean you used motors instead.

On 07/02/2021 at 18:20, Chalk Farm said:

Hi il Grifone and Graham 456...thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.  I thought I might just try a replacement motor.  Using the same worm gear set. Any thoughts on a Mashima for instance?  I've just got to get this loco moving again!

You'd be better off with a twisted elastic band than a K's anything. Check out the High level Kits website as others have suggested. When you've tried a proper motor and gearbox you might feel you need to replace all your others though.

Hi Russell,

thanks for your positive reply. Much appreciated.

I'm just back from a week away walking the Thames Path and I'm a little befuddled!!  I will reply to you tomorrow with the details, once I've had a good night's sleep.

Thanks again

John (aka Chalk Farm)