Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Layout in a heated conservatory. Would you?

Del

Evening all,

We finally completed our house move, and will eventually be sorting the garage into the modelling den. But until then, the domestic authorities have suggested that the conservatory might be a good home for the layout.

It has underfloor heating, and is quite warm in the current weather, so I wouldn’t be too concerned about this time of year, but it did get very toasty in the summer. Would it get too hot in there for trackwork?

The conservatory is basically floor-to-ceiling glass leading to the garden, and has a translucent roof.

I'd worry most about too much daylight making colours fade on the scenery. But as a short term solution, it would probably be fine. You might need to sort out the ventilation, though, if it does get too hot in summer.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't put model railway stuff in our conservatory permanently. Although it has coated glass the light on a sunny day will fade anything. The heat will distort plastic and the track will expand. Wooden baseboards will shrink and expand with changes in heat and humidity with possible distortion.

I do use our conservatory for modelling work as the daytime light is very good for detailing work and if building boards and laying track it's big enough to set up a section and access it from all sides.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Don Rowland built a successful P4 layout in his conservatory so it can be done. His choice was based on the fact that a conservatory was permitted development on his new build whereas an extention would have required a full planning application. The only issues mentioned in various MRJ articles over the years were steel track going rusty (not necessarily anything to do with it being in a conservatory) and having to have two lifting sections to maintain access to the garden. 

It sounds quite pleasant to me, you can always cover it over when not in use to stop it fading. 

• RMweb Gold

If the conservatory can be shaded, somewhat defeating the object of a conservatory in the first place, you may be able to reduce the fading problem.  Some conservatories have Venetian Blind or similar shading.  The heat issue can be addressed by opening doors, vents, and windows, but a portable airco unit might be a worthwhile investment.  Perhaps you could shade the layout area, if the conservatory is big enough for only a part of it to be used for the layout.  The position relative to the house is relevant as well, as if it is northeast facing the problem will be very much reduced!

Keep an eye on humidity, as plants in a conservatory need to be watered, and even cacti or desert plants need misting.  Another problem to consider is security; your precious models will be on full view to anyone who robs an adjacent house and cases yours while they are there, and glass is easily smashed while you are out of the house.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A conservatory is also quite good at letting people outside see what is inside. Consider security, as potential break ins often follow a quick recce around the back. A model railway in view with grabbable locos and stock in plain view might be a catalyst.

• Agree 1

I misread the title. I thought it was layout in a heated controversy and hoped it might be the hobby’s answer to that virtual council meeting which went viral on social media.  Oh the bitter taste of disappointment.....

Duncan

• Funny 5

I left my 009 layout in our conservatory during the summer a few years ago. My youngest went to give the locos a spin and came back saying they kept derailing. On closer inspection the heat had buckled the rails. I had to replace 25% of the track.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Strikes me as similar to a layout in a shed.  Potential issues with heat, cold, damp & security.  Various measures you can take to mitigate each of these problems, but the bottom line is we have to build layouts in whatever spaces are available.  A garage or even a cellar or a loft often has most of these problems to some extent.  And we would all prefer to have a bigger (longer) space than the one we have got.   

• RMweb Gold

I've just been in our conservatory and it is B!***y freezing. I use it for modelling sometimes especially painting or soldering, but I don't think solder will melt in there tonight. 

Although you say it has underfloor heating the amount required to get it comfortable is a consideration. Ours is about 150 sq ft and is on the side the weather is coming from tonight. It would need both of the 2kw heaters on for about half an hour before going in there to get it even lukewarm.

On 06/02/2021 at 20:13, Happy Hippo said:

A conservatory is also quite good at letting people outside see what is inside. Consider security, as potential break ins often follow a quick recce around the back. A model railway in view with grabbable locos and stock in plain view might be a catalyst.

I personally doubt that petty thieves would know the value or where to sell them on.....jewelry, cash, mobile phones, tablets and maybe tv's are what they're after.  But putting a drop cloth over the layout would keep off dust and sunlight as well as keeping it out of sight.....

I do have the makings of a layout in a conservatory.  The conservatory has a radiator and sometimes an extra convection heater for in winter.  It has been very hot in summer, and rather chilly in winter at night (like now).  I've used a modular approach so I can move it (to clean the windows, for decorating, parties if they ever happened, etc).  Construction s of 9mm ply and backboard, with bracing underneath.  Rigidity gained from the backboard screwed onto a baton along the back of the baseboard, and another strip of ply screwed along the front baton.  The platform is made of a B&Q floorboard so that helps too.  Touch wood, the baseboards haven't warped.  The only warping is on one of the backboards, at the top . I do think that bit of wood was a bit warped when I bought it though.  I've since added bracing along the top, which doubles as a wider rest for the top perspex sheet, and potentially for an LED lighting strip (and maybe a flying spitfire), but all in good time.  The base and backboard are all well varnished, or painted and lacquered.  This is to protect against errant condensation from the glass.  It all seems fine.  I have recently added a frame of strip wood over the top, and added a perspex sheet as a top to protect against dust and sunlight.  I also have front sheets as well.  These are attached to the wooden frame with magnetic strip as for secondary glazing.  In time, I'll get some fancy wooden facia to go over the bits where the magnetic strip are, for aesthetic purposes.  The overall effect when fully screened up is like a museum.  Actually, the initial reason for the front sheets is to protect against my brother's dog's destructive tail, and little fingers of our friend's 3-year-old.  But apparently, the perspexx has good UV protective qualities, which is reassuring.  I did find with the first scenic work I did that there was some fading due to sunlight, so I'm glad I got the perspex ready for spring and summer.  I would say though that the sun fading actually did me bit of a favour by nicely subdueing down the colours, especially of the foliage, so it wasn't an entirely bad outcome.  So far, I haven't had any issues.  Hopefully it will survive for many more years to come.  I've only built a bit of it, however.  Photos of the initial catalyst for a layout are below, using old train stuff I found in a loft from when I was young.  And then a shot along the set to give an idea, although the front perspex isn't on, and one of the top perspex sheets isn't on.  I took them off to work on the track laying. 

IMG_4228.JPG

IMG_9268.JPG

• RMweb Gold
On 07/02/2021 at 07:55, drduncan said:

I misread the title. I thought it was layout in a heated controversy and hoped it might be the hobby’s answer to that virtual council meeting which went viral on social media.  Oh the bitter taste of disappointment.....

Duncan

This is a bit like my friend Nial's little girl, now grown up and very embarrassed to be reminded of the story.  The family were getting ready to go away for their summer holidays and I asked little Emma, 4 years old and so cute she sh*t kittens, what would happen to the cat while they were away.  'I expect she's going to be put into a category' was the magnificent response, beyond discussion or argument and displaying complete logic.

9 hours ago, didcot said:

I left my 009 layout in our conservatory during the summer a few years ago. My youngest went to give the locos a spin and came back saying they kept derailing. On closer inspection the heat had buckled the rails. I had to replace 25% of the track.

This problem destroyed my teenage layout in the attic, 'converted' for the purpose by Buffalo Bill Enterprises PLC, aka my dad.