Waterloo Bay Platform / Parcels Dock

Calidore

Hello all,

A research question -- does anyone have good photos (or leads to the same in particular books, websites etc) of the bay platform at Waterloo, between platforms 11 and 12 as-were? I've been gradually collecting some as and when I've found them over the past year or so, but most follow the same format of a close crop focussed on whichever engine was present. It's one of those annoying places where you can try to piece together a picture from dozens of different images, but between them they don't quite all tell you what you want to know. Steam era would be ideal but it doesn't matter too much.

The closest I've come to an estimate is the photo here, which suggests the length of the platform (which conveniently stopped level with the start of the overall roof) must have been 4 CCT-length vans plus what looks to be a 3MT or 4MT tank. Would anyone concur or strongly disagree? https://flashbak.com/wonderful-20th-century-pictures-waterloo-station-59318/waterloo-station-from-shell-tower-c-march-1964/

Ideally I'd be interested in anything more side-on but wider at ground level, and anything giving a sense of the angle of the curvature either side as well. I've requested a couple of images from Britain From Above already, but thought I'd ask here as well in case anyone can recommend a good resource.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Edited by Calidore

• Calidore changed the title to Waterloo Bay Platform / Parcels Dock
  • RMweb Gold

Waterloo Station is just outside the boundary of the London Borough of Southwark, however its mapping service maps, for some dates, do reach over far enough. It takes a little while to load. Making sure that you have the default configuration showing, go to the base map drop-down layer menu near the top right of the page. There you will find maps and aerial views. The latter are mainly modern satellite views. There are no 3D or angled options. You can zoom in or out using Control + scroll .

https://geo.southwark.gov.uk/connect/analyst/mobile/#/main

Whether that helps or not I don't know

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Looking at one of the aerial photos above, it seems that the non-fouling capacity of the platform was five U-vans (or Cavells as they were known to the staff), or four with a pilot loco attached. Anything more, attaching a loco for example, would foul the adjacent platform but not (within reason of course) the throat and so could be allowed, but normally only briefly.

Does the BTF film "Terminus" provide any insight?

• Agree 1

These two photos probably come under the "closely cropped" category but I'll post them both in case there is anything of interest to you.

On 30th May 1967 80085 was in the bay

877413815_670530Waterloo80085.jpg.3041ac719f27f209818c624e2b0fa665.jpg

Just over a year later on 7th September 1968 E6012 was there.

88313425_680907WaterlooE6012K4_27.jpg.55175d5951038c04da71420a97790ffc.jpg

In my defence I would point out that I was 15 when I took the earlier photo and was more interested in recording the last knockings of steam in a London terminus.

Chris Turnbull

• Like 5

Wow -- even by RMWeb standards, that was a fast and comprehensive answer to my question! Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply, and for posting sources / images. I don't know how I didn't think of checking for a map, but that would have been rather an obvious place to look! 

@Nick Holliday you seem to have managed a much better resolution / clarity than I could when zooming on those aerial photos. Thanks.

Adam

It certainly is -- thank you @Wickham Green too! Even the geometry of the point seems to be slightly different from every angle -- although given the disc shunt signals have been replaced with colour lights this is presumably very late? So perhaps some realignment had actually taken place by the time of this photo. In most others it seems a fairly balanced 'y', perhaps if anything with the straight road and the diverging road slightly the other direction to what appears here. Trying to account for foreshortening and funny angles is a dark art in itself.

Edit -- checking some other photos again, the formation is definitely realigned. In earlier photos the road visible in the foreground here, and the point, bend towards platform 12 (on the right as viewed in your photo) rather than away from it and towards 11.

Adam

Edited by Calidore

7 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Note the stop-block on the near rail .......... not very common in British practise. 

Not very common in Southern practice, the LNER was a fairly avid user of them, calling them derailers.

The photo probably dates from the 1980s or possibly the late 1970s.

Here's another photo taken by a young Chris Turnbull on 30th May 1967 and, as far as I can tell, shows a view in the opposite direction to Wickham Green too's view.  It corresponds to the aerial shots posted earlier and seems to show that some track alteration has taken place in the intervening period.  82019 is on the left, 41298 on the right.

1219006097_67053082019(left)41298(right).jpg.a7c6d4b76b03a2ffa4a754e566822c6a.jpg

Chris Turnbull  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Depends on your definition of late ! .............. thirty six years ago tomorrow as it happens.

Note the stop-block on the near rail .......... not very common in British practise. 

Indeed -- there's something on the Waterloo signalling diagram marked 'rail scotch' at this position, one for each road on the dock, and I've always wondered what it was. Presumably these are the items in question!

@Chris Turnbull that's a very atmospheric photo and is indeed helpful re track arrangement. 82019 really gets in everywhere, too -- BRDatabase suggests she was allocated to Nine Elms from Nov 62 to July 67, but in that time seems to have appeared in almost every other photo taken around this area! Pilot at Waterloo, ECS workings to Clapham, and there's even a photo of her on the down goods road through Queens Road with a goods train, presumably having just departed the Nine Elms goods yard. As your photo shows she eventually had smokebox door hinges picked out in white so maybe she was considered something of a celebrity with crews by the end as well.

Adam

• 1 month later...