Hornby and other manufactures appearances and references on British film and television.

RyanN91

List of Hornby and other manufactures appearances on Television I am sure there are plenty more but these are the ones I can think of at the moment I am sure there is  indeed plenty more despite the title this is just from Television programmes ,Drama, factual, News, Documentry, Children's Television shows and TV sitcoms. 

I was thinking about starting this Topic two days ago to gain interest and replies of other appearances. Well  yesterday evening I was watching Celebrity Pointless Child now adult star special. I was flabbergasted by who appeared on it it was one of the guest was none other than David Peachey now Dr as he is now a GP. who played the lead role Bernard. 

Are You Being Served? BBC BBC One BBC Studios 1972-1985.

Series 5 episode 2 1977 "A Change Is as Good as a Rest"  Original air date 4 March 1977 BBC One.

From the second episode of the fifth series in 1977 the plot sees the staff from the ladies and gentlemen ready made outfits department move to the Toy department in an experiment from Young Mr. Grace which sees the staff of the store work in other departs for a week. 2 1976 Hornby Intercity express train sets a BR Class 37 locomotive and 3 BR MK2 coaches are viable in the department. Also a Hornby model railway layout feature is prominently displayed in the Toy Shop operated by Mr. Granger who was recently joined Grace Bros as a Junior after resigning as senior for mistakenly  believing was being made redundant. 

Are You Being Served? "A Change Is as Good as a Rest" Series Five Episode Two March 4 1977.

This Week. Themes Television, ITV, ITV Studios 

Advanced Passenger Train | Tilting Train | British rail | Train of the future | This Week | 1983

A Hornby APT on a layout Feature with the real one. 

Last of the Summer Wine 1973-2010 BBC, BBC One, BBC Studios 

from the ninth series in 1986 this episode Go With The Flow sees the trio offer to volunteer for the local vicar to sell tickets for local production of Beatrix Potter. This episode pays homage to Rev Wilbert Awdry

OBE. creator of The Railway Series where at the begging of the episode  you see the vicars model railway layout a Hornby model amongst many other Hornby products feature plus a Hornby church a very sweet nod to this reference is also an Annie coach from Thomas and Friends. 

Last of The Summer Wine: Series 9 Episode 7 Go With The Flow 22 February 1986

How 2 CITV ITV TVS, Scottish Television ITV Studios 1990-2006.

I remember an episode of How 2 when I was really small I do not know which episode it was, or what the feature was about. But what I do remember was it was a feature with Carol Voderman so it would have been between 1990 and 1996, where Carol was standing at a model railway layout featuring an Intercity 125 train in BR IC Swallow livery, which she was operating on the layout. that's all I remember I  would love to see this again. 

No link

BBC Archives segment clip feature originally taken from The Money Programme 1966-2010 BBC BBC Two BBC Studios. 

original air date 17 December 1995  BBC Two "Model Railway's 1995". 

An interesting fascinating insight into Hornby's Margate factory from 1995 and and look at what the future holds into 1996  with the TrackMatTM launch, and beyond everything Hornby Hobbies Related including interviews including one with Simon Kholer,  included on this page below is a link for 1969 about Model Railways. 

BBC Archives Model Railways. 1995.

Bernard's Watch 1997 -2001 CITV ,  Central Television, Carlton Television, ITV  Studios. 

Hornby is featured  in an episode in the final fourth series of a CITV children's TV drama where a boy who owns a magic watch enabling him to stop time around him! The episode is entitled "Running on Time" which originally  aired on 4 December 2001, Bernard received a Hornby LNER Class A4 locomotive Mallard 4468 in the mail, but he did not have a model railway nor track to run it on so he used his neighbours Mr. Arnold ( without his permission but his anger soon turned to enthusiasm when Bernard was running the Mallard on his layout Arnold played by the late great Royce Mills), who had a very nice layout his in shed! among his rolling stock and features, It featured an original IC 125 shunting yards station tunnel etc.  

Bernard's Watch "Running on Time" Series Five Episode 7 December 4 2001. ITV Studios.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Wasn’t there a Midsommer Murders where there was a trainset involved ?  It might have been Morse , or even both ! 

Blue Peter , obviously , there’s a thread on here about it 

Dare I say it “Jim’ll Fix It” probably early 80s I remember someone visiting the factory and seeing the then new Class 52 in Maroon running round a large layout in the factory . 

• Like 1

Just watched drama Hinterland on Netflix and the detective identifies a loco as a Bachmann City Class and mentions his brother in law in into model railways.................

There is also a layout involved and much of it is shot around a station in Wales......can't say much more as it will spoil the story, but the layout does have some quite intricate details that would have required scratch building!

S1E4 for those with Netflix and 90 minutes to spare.

• Like 2

On 07/02/2021 at 11:47, Legend said:

Wasn’t there a Midsommer Murders where there was a trainset involved ?  It might have been Morse , or even both ! 

There was an Endeavour episode that involved a murderer who was a railway enthusiast.  He had a model railway in his attic.  Bearing in mind that the Endeavour episodes are set in the mid to late 60s, from my recollection the layout included Metcalfe buildings and a model of a Western locomotive with a high-intensity headlight...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2021 at 11:47, Legend said:

Blue Peter , obviously , there’s a thread on here about it 

Dare I say it “Jim’ll Fix It” probably early 80s I remember someone visiting the factory and seeing the then new Class 52 in Maroon running round a large layout in the factory . 

Yes there was this episode of Morse original aired in 1990 or 1993 the episode this series was filmed enterally on 16mm film a rarity of British Television programmes of the early 1990s as  this is of course fantastic in preserving the future of British television in digitisation ITV archives. I remember I watched this episode on ITV3 HD a few years ago  Which means that a high resolution of either standard HD 720p or full HD 1080, 1080i ,1441 or even ultra 4K UHD and 8K UHD 2160, 4320, 8640 leaving this final transfer in glorious detail in  HD! I remember seeing the Hornby Flying Scotsman. also Coronation Street has featured Hornby Bachmann Dapol and Heljan with David Neilson aka Roy Cropper with various layouts rolling stock etc since he first appeared in 1995.  I remember him in the cafe with a collection of BR Mk4 coaches a BR MK4 DVT  and a some BR Class 91 he must have an Intercity 225 set! and Norris Cole Malcolm Hebden had a LNER Class A4 Seagull and some LNER carriages from 2004ish! Also a few years ago Phil Michell bought a Hornby Flying Scotsman train set and the additional track packs and the building accessories to complete the layout.