Cutting Circles in Styrene and Brass?

Guest WM183

Hi folks.

As my scratchbuilding ramps up, I find myself facing a new challenge - how do I cut perfect circles in plastic or brass sheet? is there a circle cutter or something one can use, or do I need to just trace a line with a compass and then try to file and fettle to the line?

Spinning in circles,

Amanda

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

That doesn't look such a convenient tool if the circle to be cut is of small diameter - say below 5 cm. For smaller circles in styrene, I have used a good quality pair of compasses to scribe the curve then snapped along it in the usual way - but still not ideal.

• RMweb Premium

Dividers.jpg.610d865375af1cf935eb0625085b962a.jpg

This is what I use for cutting small holes in paper and thin styrene sheet. A small pair of dividers with one point (uppermost in the photo) stoned to form a sharp blade. It will cut holes from 4mm diameter up to about 80mm. If I have to cut thicker plastic card, I use it to score the outline and then break out the hole in segments.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that the Olfa would cut any but the thinnest of brass sheet. It is a light-weight plastic job. You need to hold the centre pin steady and gently lead the outer cutter round. Push it too hard and your circle won't stay circular!

• Agree 3

While excellent for plastic, compasses and the various circle cutters will be useless for brass and are questionable for thicker plastic sheet, the line they make is 'V' shaped, so the hole or disc (whichever you want) still requires fettling to get a nice edge.

For brass, I think a fretsaw and patience are the best option, again requiring some attention to get round.

jch

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Kylestrome said:

Dividers.jpg.610d865375af1cf935eb0625085b962a.jpg

This is what I use for cutting small holes in paper and thin styrene sheet. A small pair of dividers with one point (uppermost in the photo) stoned to form a sharp blade. It will cut holes from 4mm diameter up to about 80mm. If I have to cut thicker plastic card, I use it to score the outline and then break out the hole in segments.

David

You have illustrated exactly what I was trying to describe. Nicely settable and stays set.

Ah, thanks much guys! I have an old Rotring compass someplace, I can give that a go. That circle cutter (the DSP one) looks like a good one to add when the budget permits, as I plan to start building engines too, which have lots of round bits! I'll stick with my fret saw and a good file in brass for now - a lathe will be arriving sometime, but unlikely to be soonish. As much of what I need to cut is smallish (cylinder heads, vacuum cylinder parts, etc) I do need a good cutter. If it's expensive but lasts a lifetime, it isnt so expensive after all.

Thank you again!

Amanda

Not sure how small you want to go but the following items may be of some use:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jewellery-Circular-Round-Disc-Cutter-14-Hole-Punch-Set-Metal-Punching-3-16-mm/252866258025?hash=item3ae000e469:g:hHwAAOSwls5Y8N1H

https://toolbug.co.uk/rotary-hole-punch-for-leather-working/

I have the second item and it can quite easily cut through thin brass sheet.

When cutting plasticard the cut out pieces tend to stick inside the cutting head but they can easily be prodded through from behind.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I use these for small circles they are not cheap though

0.5mm to 2mm in 0.1mm steps

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/punch-and-die-set-rp-toolz-rp-pd/

2mm to 4.5mm in 0.2 steps to 4mm then 4.5mm

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/big-punch-and-die-set-rp-toolz-rp-bpd/

RP Toolz also do hex punches.

No connection with the supplier other than as a satisfied customer.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus
Clarity