Lathalmond (Dunfermline) Branch

The Lathalmond branch was part of the extensive West Fife Mineral Lines. Lathalmond itself was a MOD facility and the rest of the branches served numerous collieries in the area, the motive power being provided by Dunfermline 62C and its sub-shed at Kelty. So we would be seeing various ex NB / LNER J classes predominantly. My grandfather was a driver based in 62C and spoke about working the colliery traffic, but that was many years ago ( I would have been about 10! ). I’ve plenty of maps of the area - many of the branches are also now footpaths which I’m familiar with; but can’t find any photos or information about the actual operation of the lines. Anybody have anything? Thanks.

Edited by 56038

• RMweb Premium
On 07/02/2021 at 14:55, 56038 said:

The Lathalmond branch was part of the extensive West Fife Mineral Lines. Lathalmond itself was a MOD facility and the rest of the branches served numerous collieries in the area, the motive power being provided by Dunfermline 62C and its sub-shed at Kelty. So we would be seeing various ex NB / LNER J classes predominantly. My grandfather was a driver based in 62C and spoke about working the colliery traffic, but that was many years ago ( I would have been about 10! ). I’ve plenty of maps of the area - many of the branches are also now footpaths which I’m familiar with; but can’t find any photos or information about the actual operation of the lines. Anybody have anything? Thanks.

I wish I could find something in my "library" as I lived in Townhill for 12 months, just over 25 years ago.  I have an A4 book on the history of the village (published by the Dunfermline Museum) but although it contains some excellent map excerpts, it says nothing about the actual railway operation.  Other than a guess at what worked the lines from the allocations at 62C, there isn't much to go on.

I appreciate the difficulty of research, the railways of the West Fife coalfield must be some of the least-photographed routes of the UK.  My only suggestion would be to seek out some Bradford Barton volumes or any albums by Derek Cross, who I think (unlike most photographers who headed for the more scenic routes like the West Highland) photographed steam in the Lowlands and Central Belt.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've found one book I'd forgotten, "The Railways of Fife" by William Scott Bruce (ISBN 0 906664 03 9).  However, even this hardly mentions the freight lines around Dunfermline, although it's a useful general reference.

Edited by Northmoor
typo

Thanks for the info. I’ve got a fair number of books which include Fife, but somehow not West Fife Mineral lines.... plenty of coal traffic photos and info but always somewhere else! Maybe history of the actual collieries will throw up something.......

• Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry 

I don't have any answers but a few things i think maybe likely are most branches were 1 engine in steam if there was an extensive yard a shunting locomotive may have been present for most of the day 

Also consider slip working i am not sure how common it was as you needed double the amount of wagons but this did mean the train engine spent a short amount of time at the mine 

• Like 2

I read somewhere (possibly on RM web, but can’t find it!) that heavy trains - not sure at which point they are classed as “heavy” - from Townhill Junction to Lathalmond required a loco at the front and rear on outward run and both locos to be coupled at front on return to provide adequate braking.

These journeys cross the main spine of the WFM railway at Lilliehill Junction (Townhill) and the OS map from 1947 show some SPs (signal posts?) at this junction. Wonder if there was a signal box here, which would have provided section breaks? 
I also assume that most of the many pits would have a pug, or maybe even horse drawn, to run wagons to exchange sidings for the main spine.

Gets interesting this line, who knows where this is going to end up?
( not as a model for me, my line is based on the Highlands!)

Edit..... just found Lilliehill Junction on Railscot, good info and answered that there was a signal box here.

Edited by 56038
Update
  • Informative/Useful 1