The Southwold Railway - 4mm - 00n3

Lewis Cree

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Lewis Cree said:

I never realised they did those.

No 8.0mm 6 Spoke though. As I want to be awkward and be as prototypical as possible. 

I may get some of the 8.0mm 8 Spoke ones though as they were used as the pony trucks on the loco's, and not 6 Spoke which I'm using at the moment. 

Lewis

They do the 8mm 6 spoke I must have missed it off when copying on this phone.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Asterix2012 said:

They do the 8mm 6 spoke I must have missed it off when copying on this phone.

Ah, no problem. I shall have a look. Might be able to sort all the wheels for the rolling stock after all! 

Just started the transfers for the coach. 

IMG_2614.JPG

• Like 7

Starting to put the transfers on the high end 3 plank goods wagons. There were 8 of this type altogether, number 7 and 8 are still drying from being painted.

Just need to add the SR lettering and dull down with a bit more weathering. 

IMG_2654.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Current progress of my Southwold stock.
Coach No.1 is almost done. Needs interior and roof fitting. There will be six coaches of this style altogether, plus five of the rebuilt ones. Plus an extra No.2 balcony coach. This was the only coach not rebuilt, but it had its lettering changed from black to white. So I won't to Model both so I can run a No.2 coach prototypically with both rakes of coaches. 
The high end wagons, Numbers 1-8 are almost complete. Two planks, No.9-10 are in the works. Number 11 is complete, number 12 in the works. Lower ended Wagons numbers 15-23 are also in the works, with No.15 and No.23 complete.
Three more MOY wagons to finish, and I will be making two pairs of the vans, 13 and 14. Both original and rebuilt versions. 

The 15 extra SR 6 wheel coal wagons are still yet to be ordered, and will probably be the last sets of rolling stock I will complete.

IMG_2682.JPG

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Added a tarpaulin to wagon No.15.

If you look closely it has lettering on it, although I have seen pictures where the wagon numbers didn't match their tarpaulin numbers...so they must have used whichever was to hand? I know it was different for the major railways where the tarpaulins had their own numbering system. 

But it seems as if the Southwold had a numbered tarpaulin for the numbered wagon...
Will be adding rope next to make it look a bit more realistically secured. 

IMG_2699.JPG

IMG_2700.JPG

IMG_2702.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Couple of shots of the coach. Still need to acquire the hard to get transfers to finish it...then I can weather and varnish it. And afterwards I can fit the glass and interior and paint/fix the roof. 

IMG_2723.JPG

IMG_2728.JPG

IMG_2729.JPG

Edited by Lewis Cree
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Fabulous stuff Lewis.

One point about the coaches, some had the toplights panelled in and painted a white/cream colour.  This is quite clear in many photos, but what ISN'T clear is when this was done, or for how long, and if thy were all done.

This photo SR on Alamy shows the toplights on the south side panelled over, but through the end window you can see that the toplights on the north side are not covered.  So maybe this was done to reduce the heat or brightness inside?  This photo on this page shows a similar situation:  https://halesworthtosouthwoldrailway.co.uk/about-us/rolling-stock/   The opening toplights stand out in some photos, as they are still clear glass.

This photo of Blythburgh shows panelling on the north side:  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Blythburgh_railway_station_(postcard).JPG

The well known early official photo on this page shows all the toplights in clear glass:  https://lightmoor.co.uk/books/the-southwold-railway/L8429

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, DLT said:

Fabulous stuff Lewis.

One point about the coaches, some had the toplights panelled in and painted a white/cream colour.  This is quite clear in many photos, but what ISN'T clear is when this was done, or for how long, and if thy were all done.

This photo SR on Alamy shows the toplights on the south side panelled over, but through the end window you can see that the toplights on the north side are not covered.  So maybe this was done to reduce the heat or brightness inside?  This photo on this page shows a similar situation:  https://halesworthtosouthwoldrailway.co.uk/about-us/rolling-stock/   The opening toplights stand out in some photos, as they are still clear glass.

This photo of Blythburgh shows panelling on the north side:  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Blythburgh_railway_station_(postcard).JPG

The well known early official photo on this page shows all the toplights in clear glass:  https://lightmoor.co.uk/books/the-southwold-railway/L8429

Cheers, Dave.

That's really odd/interesting. I assumed from photos that that may have just been reflection of the Sun/light on the windows. Strange how it's not mentioned in any of the books as you would have thought it would be a significant change.

I will be adding the frosted glass detailing to the balcony doors, and also the curtains, although they were only added to the platform side of the coaches. 

IMG_2231.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Lewis Cree said:

That's really odd/interesting. I assumed from photos that that may have just been reflection of the Sun/light on the windows. Strange how it's not mentioned in any of the books as you would have thought it would be a significant change.

I will be adding the frosted glass detailing to the balcony doors, and also the curtains, although they were only added to the platform side of the coaches. 

That's what I thought as well to begin with, until I looked a lot closer.  This is further emphasised by the fact that the curtains only covered the main windows and not the toplights.

The frosted glass looks excellent, how are you doing it?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

26 minutes ago, DLT said:

That's what I thought as well to begin with, until I looked a lot closer.  This is further emphasised by the fact that the curtains only covered the main windows and not the toplights.

Maybe this is what we're seeing? Apparently they had advertisements on them? So that could explain why not all were covered? 

I have it printed out to scale and then will be photocopying it onto that overhead projector transparent paper you can get. 

IMG_2737.JPG

Edited by Lewis Cree

1 hour ago, DLT said:

You can just see one of the advertisements on the top light in this photo.

Could have been a similar texture/style to the door window, hence the colouration on the photos.

IMG_2739.JPG

Edited by Lewis Cree
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Asterix2012 said:

What type of couplings are you using Lewis?

I'm just going to be using the Greenwich ones. With a little magnet under spots on the baseboard to enable uncoupling.

Ive not found any of the prototypical chopper type couplings that are to scale. 

IMG_2752.JPG

Edited by Lewis Cree
  • Like 4

Coach No.1 is now a 1st and Third Composite Brake. Just need to add the sections inside the interior. 

I had originally modelled it as an all 3rd brake, as that was how it was originally delivered.

The reason for the change is because of the layout I am building, which is the Hrbour junction section, which wasn't built until around 1914. Whereas the conversion of coach No.1 from a third to a first/third composite was around 1911/1912. 

So it's safe to say you would have never seen No.1 running as a full 3rd during this period of the layout.

(I will be modelling No.1 as a full third in the future) 

IMG_2742.JPG

• Like 5

First attempt at making the frosted glass pattern for the Balcony door window.
Not completely happy with the print so I may re-do it to higher resolution.
Please ignore the imperfections, it's far from finished and there is a lot of touch ups to do, and the roof needs finishing as well as fitting proper windows. 
Windows will be going in last after the interior is finished. 

IMG_2760.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2763.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Test fitting the seats for the coach interior. You can just see the white plasticard that will become the 1st class Partition inside the coach once it's detailed and painted with the frosted glass windows.
I've looked through the coach plans and it appears as if coach No.1 had two partition walls, one at each end? Can anyone else confirm wether this is true? Or was there just one partition section?
Im also aware that the strange toplight is one top light too far across for modelling coaches No.1 and No.2. This was because the etch of the original plans has been flipped and not amended. Although the etch is right for Coaches No.3-6.

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I do apologise for the the lack of updates recently.

Baseboards finally arrived a few days ago, and I couldn't resist placing the raised trackbed and some polystyrene down to get a visual on the how the embankment might look. 

Hopefully once I have wired up the track and fixed the trackbed, the scenery shouldn't take to long to Model. Lots of static grass for the salt marshes.

IMG_3010.JPG

IMG_3037.JPG

IMG_3038.JPG

IMG_3039.JPG

Edited by Lewis Cree
  • Like 16

Decided to use this dreadful bank holiday weather as an excuse to stay inside and experiment with static grass and ballast colours.

I think I've come close to the colours I want, albeit still need weathering and blending and much better lighting.

IMG_3167.JPG

IMG_3168.JPG

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

IMG_3172.JPG

IMG_3174.JPG

IMG_3175.PNG

Edited by Lewis Cree
  • Like 10