Oldest BR loco still in revenue earning service?

sjp23480

• RMweb Gold

Hello Everyone,

Not sure if this has been asked before, but does anyone know which is the oldest loco (not multiple units) still in revenue generating/earning service?

I am not thinking of preserved locos that still run on the mainline, but those that are owned by the current rail operating companies.

Any thoughts?

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Depends what you call preserved...

West Coast, its a full time business, profitable entity, paid professionals,  generating income etc etc. Occasionally they use preserved locos, but their own fleet is commercial work horses just as any other locomotive.. i’d class 44932/45699/46115/48151/35018 etc as service locos myself, that just happen to use coal, just in the same way their 37/47/57 fleet are commercial work horses powered by diesel.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Yes, the distinction between "preserved" and "in service" has become very blurred in the last decade or so. Are the Pullman coaches on the VSOE preserved? I'd say not.

Sadly, there's VERY little of the original left in those Pullmans - apart from most of the interior trim - though those which were steel bodied retain more of the structure ............ the forthcoming 'new Brighton Belle' will be VERY heavily reconstructed too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 25901 said:

One of the LMS shunters that went to Italy was still working a few years ago in industry, 75 yrs service approx.

It wasn't in industrial use, but running on what the Americans call a 'short line' between Stia and Arezzo in Tuscany. The line had some very modern EMUs for the passenger service, but its freight was handled by the British 0-6-0, an ex-German military shunter, and a couple of electrics built in the early 1920s.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Sadly, there's VERY little of the original left in those Pullmans - apart from most of the interior trim - though those which were steel bodied retain more of the structure ............ the forthcoming 'new Brighton Belle' will be VERY heavily reconstructed too.

But that only adds to their patina.. it demonstrates use.

WCRC has a wooden bodied GNR saloon in the Queen of Scots set still running, though admittedly that set is “preserved” and doesnt see daylight that often.

Edited by adb968008