E140/E145 buffers

• RMweb Gold

I have been giving one of my B Set pairs an upgrade to the underframes, the incorrect located second battery box has been removed and replaced with a casting in the correct location. While a Frogmore equipment box was added to the other side.

I have a set of Comet buffers for the outer ends, but I am trying to confirm what should be used for the inner ends.  After trawling through Russell I havent managed to find a clear photo of the inner end of a E140/E145 but there is on of the E147 on GWR.org in Tim Venton's article showing the short buffers (circa 1ft2 in length).  My first thought was to reuse the original Hornby buffers, but they have a much smaller head (and I would assume they should have the same buffer head size as the outer ends.)  Are there any cast buffers available for the B Set (I havent had any luck finding any).

Rich

There aren't any commercial replacements for the short, stocky buffers between the coaches. It isn't impossible to build your own with some brass tubes. It does get difficult to spring them properly, but if you make your own coupling to go round your worst curve, that won't be needed.

Mike

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Taz said:

Hi Rich,

have a look at this post on what I did for a E147 pair. I modified some shock absorbing wagon buffers from MJT.

What size are the heads on those?

I think I have found my solution for this build at least, using the Hornby B Set buffers cut off the curved headstock, filed flat on the rear and glued in place.  However I am still trying to confirm if the buffer head is too small in diameter (given it is a lot smaller than the standard coach buffers the other end.)  I think that the inner buffers were a smaller diameter so its not a problem, but would like to be sure....

• RMweb Gold

The replacement heads are 18”, same as the outside end.

Not sure what the original ones were, much smaller standard wagon heads - 13”?

Edited by Taz

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Taz said:

The replacement heads are 18”, same as the outside end.

Not sure what the original ones were, much smaller standard wagon heads - 13”?

Thanks, that makes more sense.  I think I have a few 18inch heads somewhere so will drill out the short Hornby shank ready to fit them.