GWR recessed door handles such as used on B set and Centenary coaches

I have been given a Comet coach kit D109 to complete.

As the door handle positions have an etched hole and the sides were originally intended to use Airfix/Hornby B set coaches as donor vehicles I presume you are intended to use the plastic moulded recessed door handles with these locations.

If you have no donor model and intend to build it as a straight brass coach kit how do those who are much more experienced at this do these handles.

The same recessed handles appear on a lot of GWR coaches built in the '30s  (eg Centenary stock) so how are they achieved on other manufacturers kits?

Does anyone do an after market pack of detailing similar to buying 'T' door handles and the curly style from earlier coaches?

Thanks

Edited by GWRMember
Requested by a contributor to clarify topic

Many thanks for the suggestion of scrap etch from behind. I will try that.

I must look up my Wild Swan book on building coaches to see if the issue is addressed there.

The Comet kit is a D109 Collett non-corridor Brake 3rd kit W23 which has etched holes as per the example above.

Regards

• GWRMember changed the title to GWR recessed door handles such as used on B set and Centenary coaches

I’m currently putting together a K40 full brake which has the same arrangement.

There’s no argument that soldering in some scrap brass behind the apertures as Taz illustrated is the “proper job”, but being fundamentally lazy I have glued some Plastic to the back as I find it is much easier to drill out for the handles etc. Fine drills tend to skid around on brass when in my hands!

Which ever way works for you…

• Agree 1