Through engine shed on goods siding

TomJ

I’m modelling a layout very loosely inspired by the Wantage Tramway but as if it had been taken over and ‘modernised’ by the GWR. 

One odd feature (amongst many) was that access to the gasworks was through the engine shed - the siding running right through. I’m trying to decide whether to keep this feature - perhaps with a corrugated iron GWR replacement). Were there any other example of goods wagons being shunted through?

I do know of the Bakerloo line running through Queens Park shed. Not quite what I was thinking of!!

Some only moderately informed musings.

A question, I suppose, was whether there was a rational alternative, and how much the shed was used. Regular traffic through a shed that had people working in it full time would surely be a very bad thing, but if there were no full time staff working in the shed and/or two trains a week to the gasworks, and if there was no alternative site without buying up more land then it might be least worst option. 

The GW quite often put up new sheds in a different position to the old one which has obvious advantages and might be another thing to consider if it were practical on the site. 

• Like 2

I can think of examples where the track extended through an engine shed, but usually only as a short extension without leading to anything else. For example Aldeburgh but I've no idea what the extended track was used for or whether wagons were shunted through it.

At Lydney Junction the Severn & Wye engine shed had access from both ends but that's not the same as shunting wagons through a shed.

Winchester - see photo? Sorry, I didn't make a note where the image comes from. Probably an ebay item.

Lydney Junction.jpg

RWY1977-1953-Locomotive-30083-WINCHESTER-Railway-Yard.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. That’s enough examples that it’s definitely plausible for me. And conveniently screens the fiddle yard exit. 
As the disused stations site quotes

’The shed, which contained a pit, just visible, was fairly unusual, but not unique, for a branch terminus in that it was double-ended and sat astride a through road’

Not unique will do for me!

Edited by TomJ
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/02/2021 at 13:05, Zomboid said:

There's a strange shed structure over the track just west of Blake Hall on the Epping Ongar railway. What purpose it serves I have no idea.

Again not what you're looking for...

Only just seen this thread... I also volunteer at the EOR and personally cant wait to get back down there ASAP.

There are 2 sheds down at Blake hall which look very similar to the one at north weald.  The one closest to the railway has got the owners busses in but i heard that maybe it will soon be used as dry storage for some of the rolling stock. And I think the 2nd shed down in the valley is going to be were the busses will be re-homed. As I said I'm not 100% sure if this is correct hope this helps?

Edited by Highgale station