Railway & Modelling Obituaries

• RMweb Gold

I'm really sorry to hear this, I spend a couple of exhibitions helping him out with layouts, and especially remember operating The Sub-Wealden Gypsum Company for longer than he did on one day of the Uckfield show a few years ago (2016, how time flies!). It nearly made me get rid of all my 00 and replace it with 3mmFS.

He was a very talented modeller, and great guy, and shall be missed.

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I knew Peter Bossom only through his modelling and I recall both Hoath Hill and Whatlington very well.  The former seemd to have a permanent role as the ambassador for 3mm scale for several years. The latter created a very convincing and compelling ambience, the use of end backscenes being very effective, and if not unique then certainly unusual.  I found a short video of the layout by an RMwebber that gives a good impression of it:

• Thanks 2

What sad news.

My most sincere condolences to his family.

I recall a couple of hugely-enjoyable occasions when I popped down to Sussex to photograph two of his layouts for BRM in the earlier years, spending a week's cottage holiday with my family at the same time. The layouts were exquisitely-observed and ran perfectly.

Another top modeller gone. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

When I saw Thunders Hill in the mid 1980s at the Chatham Show it struck me as a delightful masterpiece and the charm of its concept has stayed in my memory ever since. Another sad loss to not only his family and friends but to the hobby too unfortunately.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear this sad news. Many a time I've spent helping behind Peter's layouts at exhibitions - usually over lunch time.

Being fairly local, Peter was kind enough to bring many of his excellent creations in both 12mm and 14.2mm gauge along to the Uckfield Exhibition. These included in recent years:

Bulverhythe

Hoath Hill Sidings

Thunders Hill - aka "the play pen"

Hoath Hill Halt

Whatlington

Sub Wealden Gypsum Co.

He was due to return this year with his latest layout Alfriston which made its exhibition debut back in March 2020.

Peter_Bossom_2020-03-07.jpg.42c806db126e29cd9a472d50f0fbee15.jpg

He was a very talented modeller and a friend who will be missed on the exhibition circuit.

My and the Uckfield Club's condolences to his wife and family.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Am really sad to read this too.

My first memory of Thunders Hill was seeing it in an old Model Railway Constructor Annual but was lucky enough to see it in person at one of the Burgess Hill Model Railway shows one year.

Peter would attend and bring a different layout bi-annually to the show and he was always so kind, friendly and easy to talk to. I especially liked his BR blue layouts and would always leave the exhibition thinking ‘maybe I should move up a scale from 2mmFS to 3mm’...

Very inspirational modelling and lovely bloke.

RIP Peter and my condolences to his family.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear this. I had Peter exhibit with us at Brighton on several occasions and he was certainly a friend of the club. 

Will be very much missed. 

Nestor 

• Agree 2