Tarnhouse (Hallbankgate) Brampton Rly circa 1947

The Brampton Line or Lord Carlisle’s railway never had a proper name as it wasn’t built under an act of parliament. It was chiefly a mineral line running from Brampton in Cumberland to Lambley in Northumberland across some pretty wild country, on the way it served a variety of enterprises and over the years owned some obscure locomotive types including at one time ‘The Rocket’ which was spectacularly unsuccessful at hauling mineral trains.

I can do no more that recommend you read Lord Carlisle’s Railways by Webb and Gordon.

When I was young my parents had a cottage at the East end of the railway near Lambley and I used to roam wild along the formation of the line, I spent weeks once trying to haul a length of fish bellied rail back to my folk’s place and was always pestering them to liberate a stone block sleeper in the back of the car, no dice.

I think you get to a certain age and want to try and recreate your youth, so I thought I’d have a go at Hallbankgate, which is a small village through which the railway ran. It had a two-road engine shed a few coal sidings and one for the local Co-op which had merchandise brought in by rail. It was also at the head of a self-working incline that ran down to Kirkhouse, where there was brickworks, gasworks wagon shop and at one time loco works.

And so begins Tarnhouse a pastiche of Hallbankgate, Don’t hold your breath guys it will be a slow burn!

The building carcass is for Planhead brake house 

hallbank.jpg

Plan.jpg

Brake.png

• Like 13

We once owned a cottage on the side of this railway in the 50's. The track had gone by then, but I walked the line from Brampton junction to Tindale. The cottage site is still there on Google Earth, but has been rebuilt into a larger house. There were still a few chairs, sleepers, etc. around at that time. and some signs of wagon loading points.

13 minutes ago, Yardman said:

We once owned a cottage on the side of this railway in the 50's. The track had gone by then, but I walked the line from Brampton junction to Tindale. The cottage site is still there on Google Earth, but has been rebuilt into a larger house. There were still a few chairs, sleepers, etc. around at that time. and some signs of wagon loading points.

It's a fascinating place, with still plenty to see even now, in normal times we love going up there for walks and picnics.

DSC00708.JPG

DSC00711.JPG

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

There was what looked like a gate keepers hut at Hallbank Gate, still in existance in the early 60's. the course of the railway was clearly visible, but the track and gates had gone. Someone probably has photographs.

10 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I have the book on Lord Carlisle's railways and this looks an interesting project. Will you be scratchbuilding the locomotives?

Well, only two locos planned;

Naworth No 6

Tindale.

I know they ran at diff times.

Naworth a Hattons Barclay with correct cab and bunker plus dumb buffers. Tindale a CPS Avonside.  I would like a go at Dandie Dinmount on a B4 chassis.

I have scratch built some wagons, so I'm not going completely 'out the box!'

Uncontrolled tremor due to Dystonia makes scratchbuilding a bit of a challenge!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

6 hours ago, Ian Blenk said:

Well, only two locos planned;

Naworth No 6

Tindale.

I know they ran at diff times.

Naworth a Hattons Barclay with correct cab and bunker plus dumb buffers. Tindale a CPS Avonside.  I would like a go at Dandie Dinmount on a B4 chassis.

I have scratch built some wagons, so I'm not going completely 'out the box!'

Uncontrolled tremor due to Dystonia makes scratchbuilding a bit of a challenge!

I had the very same idea to make Dandie Dinmont myself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

I had the very same idea to make Dandie Dinmont myself.

Great minds!

I have a few projects on the go;

2NOL for South Gallions is about 3/4 finished

Harton No1 for Tynebank is nearly there

and of course the loco's for T'house, whether I will get around to D.D. I don't know, but I don't anticipate building any more layouts after this one.

I have a surplus of kits I need to get rid of as I will never get them finished!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Some work done on fretting out the carcass of the co-op. The railway pre-dates this building which was started in 1873 and completed a couple of years later by Naworth Co-operative Society  Limited.

The roof was altered after the railway closed in 1952. It is now the Hallbankgate Hub an excellent asset to the village. There were other co-ops at Tindale and Halton-le-gate which received goods by rail.

DSC00698 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3680.JPG

Chimney.jpg

Coop window.png

Edited by Ian Blenk
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

A railway that has interested me since I first saw trackbed and bits of infrastructure in the 70's.  Nothing much seems to have changed up there since, still plenty of remains to see and bits of the route are walkable, with some footpaths round Tindale now on the old trackbed. 

I'm guessing that those interested will have seen Ernie Brack's site on Flickr, if not he has an Album on the Brampton Railway with 30+ images. 

I'll be following progress. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Really interesting project and quick progress as well. I've long been interested in the Brampton and Lord Carlisle railways as well as my main interest in the M&CR and like others, spotted the similarity between Dandie Dimont and the M&CR's pair of 0-4-0t used at Maryport docks. I model in EM and hadn't thought of using a B4 as the basis of one of these engines. 

On 09/02/2021 at 19:50, Ian Blenk said:

The Brampton Line or Lord Carlisle’s railway never had a proper name as it wasn’t built under an act of parliament. It was chiefly a mineral line running from Brampton in Cumberland to Lambley in Northumberland across some pretty wild country, on the way it served a variety of enterprises and over the years owned some obscure locomotive types including at one time ‘The Rocket’ which was spectacularly unsuccessful at hauling mineral trains.

I can do no more that recommend you read Lord Carlisle’s Railways by Webb and Gordon.

When I was young my parents had a cottage at the East end of the railway near Lambley and I used to roam wild along the formation of the line, I spent weeks once trying to haul a length of fish bellied rail back to my folk’s place and was always pestering them to liberate a stone block sleeper in the back of the car, no dice.

I think you get to a certain age and want to try and recreate your youth, so I thought I’d have a go at Hallbankgate, which is a small village through which the railway ran. It had a two-road engine shed a few coal sidings and one for the local Co-op which had merchandise brought in by rail. It was also at the head of a self-working incline that ran down to Kirkhouse, where there was brickworks, gasworks wagon shop and at one time loco works.

And so begins Tarnhouse a pastiche of Hallbankgate, Don’t hold your breath guys it will be a slow burn!

The building carcass is for Planhead brake house 

hallbank.jpg

Plan.jpg

Brake.png

Just struck me that the layout of Tarnhouse / Hallbankgate is very reminiscent of all those US shunting planks layouts (aka 'switchman's nightmare'). 

13 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Really interesting project and quick progress as well. I've long been interested in the Brampton and Lord Carlisle railways as well as my main interest in the M&CR and like others, spotted the similarity between Dandie Dimont and the M&CR's pair of 0-4-0t used at Maryport docks. I model in EM and hadn't thought of using a B4 as the basis of one of these engines. 

I don't know whether I will get DD done I had only planned for Tindale and No6. I am hoping to make more progress with the buildings in a few days, I am waiting for some brass tube to complete the TOUs, In normal times I could have just gone to Wigton Model Shop! I put a snap of the M&CR Neilsons on RMweb a while back, Here it is again I don't  know where the print came from so cannot acknowledge it. They were replaced with a cut down L&Y pug.

image_1ev7jicbqt8e11m7170r1d1a1liac.png.b861df5cf51f62e2472161344d900e69.png

Edited by Ian Blenk
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Just struck me that the layout of Tarnhouse / Hallbankgate is very reminiscent of all those US shunting planks layouts (aka 'switchman's nightmare'). 

It is a very shortened version of Hallbankgate, I have missed out the general siding at the SE end. The model minus FYs is only 3' x 1' it fits under one of my other models 'Tynebank'

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...