Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2021 at 16:34, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I have made the case for the LBSCR Stroudley D1 , the more I researched them to fill out the form the more I fell in love with them! It's a real shame none survive. 

And the D1, an 0-4-2 for Surrey and Sussex, fits well with the bijou tank loco theme that has been a commercial success in 4mm RTR in recent times. Small locos are so good on confined layouts. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

And the D1, an 0-4-2 for Surrey and Sussex, fits well with the bijou tank loco theme that has been a commercial success in 4mm RTR in recent times. Small locos are so good on confined layouts. 

Apparently several were sent to Scotland in wartime so , something for the under represented Scottish modellers :p

• Like 1

On 16/02/2021 at 04:29, No Decorum said:

The Conflat P is a good suggestion. Wasn’t the Condor hauled by Black 5s and 24s once the 28s had disgraced themselves? That would make the Conflat P even more versatile.

I agree, a Conflat P would be an excellent choice, and sure to be a great seller! 

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/02/2021 at 15:29, No Decorum said:

The Conflat P is a good suggestion. Wasn’t the Condor hauled by Black 5s and 24s once the 28s had disgraced themselves? That would make the Conflat P even more versatile.

Its was often worked with Black 5s while the Class 28s were still booked on as they were often the standby for when one of them conked out.

Rumour has it they would couple the Black 5 inside the Diesel to make it look like the natty old steam loco needed saving :wink_mini:

• Like 1

On 10/03/2021 at 07:50, New Haven Neil said:

Did someone say FL9? :D

I did say CF7, but in 1:48 scale, 2-rail.  The reply was an unequivocal No - they will not be going into O Scale, and especially not American outline O. 

Oh well.... :(

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Aire Head said:

Its was often worked with Black 5s while the Class 28s were still booked on as they were often the standby for when one of them conked out.

Rumour has it they would couple the Black 5 inside the Diesel to make it look like the natty old steam loco needed saving :wink_mini:

Wasn't it generally done that way anyway to prevent nasty solid bits from the steam exhaust getting into the diesel engine?

On 11/02/2021 at 15:34, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I have made the case for the LBSCR Stroudley D1 , the more I researched them to fill out the form the more I fell in love with them! It's a real shame none survive. 

It is both a logical and charismatic choice that would stand well between the Rails Terrier and the Rapido/MR E1.

It's rapidly climbing to the top of my RTR 'most wanted' list, so I can understand your growing enthusiasm.

IEG and pre-WW1 umber to be included please.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tim Hall said:

Wasn't it generally done that way anyway to prevent nasty solid bits from the steam exhaust getting into the diesel engine?

I have also heard it was to do with coal not bouncing out the back of the steam loco and smashing windows in the cab of the Diesel but the exhaust reasons make the most sense to me.

I was joking about the making the steam loco look like it needed rescuing part

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Aire Head said:

I have also heard it was to do with coal not bouncing out the back of the steam loco and smashing windows in the cab of the Diesel but the exhaust reasons make the most sense to me.

I was joking about the making the steam loco look like it needed rescuing part

The Instruction was issued in order to avoid coal coming off the back of the tender hitting the diesel's cab windows although i don't definitely know if any windscreens had been broken by coal.  

• Informative/Useful 1

Done- put two forms in with these suggestions-

1895577862_5Majorforscrap.jpg.ca1d57120fc03b8e6e62e2777d17e0da.jpg

Kitson long-tank 0-6-0 as built for the Cardiff railway, the Manchester Ship Canal and the Beamish Railway.

1079125029_nehopper.jpg.096132b027da70e4ec87875f3b2f2a2b.jpg

NER 20-ton hopper wagon.

Les

• Like 4

On 10/03/2021 at 09:49, David Bigcheeseplant said:

I have suggested the GWR 517

Seconded.

I've heard naysayers claim that it's an unmodellable prototype, due to the myriad variations.

I think that is a fallacious view; no one called for every variant to be modelled, but with a judicious tooling plan, the main variants/conditions could be produced, provided you know what you're talking about.

The main objection is that it did not make it to BR days, or preservation, but, with the diversification of periods within the hobby, I think that is no less of a concern.

For much of the Grouping period, the 517 was the archetypal GW branch locomotive.  IIRC, a couple of 4800s went to Cornwall in the early thirties, but I don't think that the replacement class really established itself in the SW peninsula until the second half of the 'thirties.  Archetypal BLT Ashburton didn't see one until '36.  517s still typify the GW branch scene of the '30s, and it's not that anyone has ever yet made a pukka pre-War 4800 RTR, so an RTR 517 could be the best and only choice. 

For pre-Groupers, there is something to haul those Ratio 4-wheelers (or generic 4-wheelers if you prefer). 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hello Edwardian

The 517 has gradually - and consistently - moved upwards in The 00 Wishlist Poll (bearing in mind, though, that a number of the top-wanted GWR items have come to market, leaving 'spare space'' for it to move into).

In 2019 - the final Poll - it was the 9th most-wanted GWR loco. It was High Polling as well as being towards the upper echelons of that segment.

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Poll Team)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Seconded.

I've heard naysayers claim that it's an unmodellable prototype, due to the myriad variations.

I think that is a fallacious view; no one called for every variant to be modelled, but with a judicious tooling plan, the main variants/conditions could be produced, provided you know what you're talking about.

The main objection is that it did not make it to BR days, or preservation, but, with the diversification of periods within the hobby, I think that is no less of a concern.

For much of the Grouping period, the 517 was the archetypal GW branch locomotive.  IIRC, a couple of 4800s went to Cornwall in the early thirties, but I don't think that the replacement class really established itself in the SW peninsula until the second half of the 'thirties.  Archetypal BLT Ashburton didn't see one until '36.  517s still typify the GW branch scene of the '30s, and it's not that anyone has ever yet made a pukka pre-War 4800 RTR, so an RTR 517 could be the best and only choice. 

For pre-Groupers, there is something to haul those Ratio 4-wheelers (or generic 4-wheelers if you prefer). 

The 455 Metro class were rather pretty small engines that would also go rather nicely with the 4 wheelers. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

If we're talking about the GWR, I'd rather go for a bit of brute strength, like an ex-Rhymney Class R 0-6-2T, typical of South Wales right up to the mid 1950s. Or for something a bit more exotic, a Cambrian Jones goods 0-6-0, which also lasted until the mid 1950s.

• Like 1

If you want GWR and you want something iconic and off the scale, how about an RTR broad gauge set?  A pack like the Thunderbolt but obviously with some track... if you’re cunning in choice, some of the stock could form the basis of standard gauge models.   I’d have thought the extra width of broad gauge might make concealing a motor in the frames easier than some of these other pioneer rail locos?

• RMweb Gold

Just thinking about the NER "Aerolite" 2-4-2T in the NRM. Is this a class that lasted to LNER days, and what F class number did it get if so? (A "BTP" 0-4-4T (G6) would be even nicer, but less likely—manufacturers do like locos with preserved examples, which could be a problem with the GW 517 class, an excellent choice in every other way).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Just thinking about the NER "Aerolite" 2-4-2T in the NRM. Is this a class that lasted to LNER days, and what F class number did it get if so? (A "BTP" 0-4-4T (G6) would be even nicer, but less likely—manufacturers do like locos with preserved examples, which could be a problem with the GW 517 class, an excellent choice in every other way).

Even as a NER fan, I would struggle to justify such an obscure choice.

If manufacturers do not move beyond what happens to have survived in preservation, the hobby will never progress. 

3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

If manufacturers do not move beyond what happens to have survived in preservation, the hobby will never progress. 

On the other hand, it is much easier to go and measure something that still exists than to try and attempt to research and find accurate drawings to use as a starting point - and trying to go entirely from photos is even more problematic.

So it isn't a surprise that the easy route of preserved examples is frequently chosen.

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

On the other hand, it is much easier to go and measure something that still exists than to try and attempt to research and find accurate drawings to use as a starting point - and trying to go entirely from photos is even more problematic.

So it isn't a surprise that the easy route of preserved examples is frequently chosen.

Ah, the mysteries of RTR design.

So far I've seen a project where both the GA drawings were used and measurements taken from the prototype, another where the designer decided that the works drawings were simply not good enough and measured the prototype about 4 times, and a third where the designer used some 'modeller's drawing' without troubling to visit a preserved example, of which a number are extant.

There is no excuse for not researching a model, especially when there's some mug who'll do it for free!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Just thinking about the NER "Aerolite" 2-4-2T in the NRM. Is this a class that lasted to LNER days, and what F class number did it get if so?

Aerolite is a 2-2-4T, not 2-4-2, and under the LNER became the sole member of class X1. Class X served for all the single-driver locos inherited by the LNER in 1923: three classes of ex-NER 2-2-4 single-driver tank locos comprising all of four locomotives in total (!), and Class X4 comprising six ex-GCR 4-2-2 tender locomotives.  I have high hopes of Rapido filling in some of the gaps in rtr steam - perhaps even in N gauge - but optimist though I am I suspect it'll be a long time before we see any of these.

Except, of course, that Aerolite is pretty, green, named and could be sold as an NRM souvenir and to collectors, who seem to determine what gets made rtr these days, not people stocking actual model railways.

RT

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

There's hope - LNER 10000!

RT

• Like 1