Have your say with Rapido

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Edwardian said:

If manufacturers do not move beyond what happens to have survived in preservation, the hobby will never progress. 

How so?

I think you are confusing two things here. Retail gratification, which is manifestly attractive to many, is at best creatively neutral, whereas our Hobby is a wonderful and creative activity that operates on multiple levels and is available to anyone with curiosity and interest.

No price tags attached either....

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

How so?

I think you are confusing two things here. Retail gratification, which is manifestly attractive to many, is at best creatively neutral, whereas our Hobby is a wonderful and creative activity that operates on multiple levels and is available to anyone with curiosity and interest.

No price tags attached either....

Probably an unnecessary post, which does not seem to me to advance matters, but I will do you the courtesy of responding to it anyway.

I do not apprehend the slightest risk of confusion on my part.

I meant what I said.  The context is RTR, so my comment should be understood as applying to that sector. For modellers to be encouraged to explore other periods, easing them in with RTR can be important. Sensible choices of subject aid that, rather than the current practice of manufacturers to produce apparently random stuff, some of which is useful, some less so.

Aerolite might be an attractive choice for a collector, but can hardly be a priority for anyone with an interest in the NER but who may lack the time, resources, tools and skills from fashioning it all out of brass sheet. More useful choices help to progress the hobby. I thought that, in context, I had made that point clearly enough without the need to repeat and elaborate. Obviously I was mistaken in that.

Edited by Edwardian
spelling!
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, so many EMUs to consider.  GFor me it would be the Clacton Units on the GE Mainline as a starting point. 

But then they could consider the Class 32X series giving rise to OHL and Third Rail operation, not to mention a multitude of liveries.  Could be in N and 00.

Well we can but hope.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

A former neighbour of mine was very fond of her as she was his regular engine for some while when he was a Fireman.

Yes. Apparently there are a lot of common parts to the 48xx locomotives, and (so I'm told ) the 54-64xx motion parts. 

If the Clean Air Act doesn't trample all over it, then we are advancing ever closer to replica locomotives of extinct types becoming an everyday occurrence.  Saint, 47xx, Grange, a working Dean Goods, The list is longer than my wallet.... 

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Deltic said:

Oh, so many EMUs to consider.  GFor me it would be the Clacton Units on the GE Mainline as a starting point. 

But then they could consider the Class 32X series giving rise to OHL and Third Rail operation, not to mention a multitude of liveries.  Could be in N and 00.

Well we can but hope.

Revolution are doing 320 and 321 in N, is that not Rapido? Really need them in OO too.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Legend said:

Still would be nice in OO 

Spent years travelling in 321s up and down the GEML and would definitely buy one to recreate the experience!

Loads of livery options, still in use including potentially fast parcel services, and growing interest in electrics.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Made two suggestions- the D49 and the C12.

The D49 is the LNER's equivalent to the GWR Manor- widespread, numerous and very well proportioned. Rapido might well shy away from it for fear of provoking Hornby to upgrade their Railroad model but it's definitely time a new one was available...

As for the C12, well, it was more widespread and therefore more useful to the modeller than the J70 which seems to have been a success.

Edited by nathan70000
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

Made two suggestions- the D49 and the C12.

The D49 is the LNER's equivalent to the GWR Manor- widespread, numerous and very well proportioned. Rapido might well shy away from it for fear of provoking Hornby to upgrade their Railroad model but it's definitely time a new one was available...

As for the C12, well, it was more widespread and therefore more useful to the modeller than the J70 which seems to have been a success.

D49 is a Hornby model . Simon Kohler will have had the revised version under development for about 2 months prior to Rapido starting it .    He will still be smarting as they pinched the Titfield Thunderbolt rights from under his nose . 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Provided we can have pre-Grouping/as built versions, of these suggested GNR locos, I'm all for it. 

I think that the GER T26, including their later careers, including more northerly postings, as LNER/BR E4s, would be an exceptionally popular choice. But we really do need one in GER ultramarine blue. Iresistable!

GER_T26_LNER_E4_Bressingham.jpg.237d89672e5513cfa383febcad35b410.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

8 minutes ago, Nile said:

Both locos in that photo please.

Frankly, I'd subscribe to a Rapido season ticket for Bressingham, 'cos while they are there measuring up the T26/E4 and the LT&S tank, they could take in the Buck Jumper and the Klondyke. 

Link

Ssssh, don't tell Mr Copy-Cat of Margate!!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Frankly, I'd subscribe to a Rapido season ticket for Bressingham, 'cos while they are there measuring up the T26/E4 and the LT&S tank, they could take in the Buck Jumper and the Klondyke. 

Link

Ssssh, don't tell Mr Copy-Cat of Margate!!!

Do I get the impression that you have something of a bias towards railways on the eastern side of London but south of The Wash ? :jester:  Oh and just to upset the rest of your day I saw a certain ex GER 2-4-0 while it was still in traffic in BR days and, gravitating northwards, I had a number of D49s underlined in my ABC as they were very much North Eastern area (and Scottish) engines.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Do I get the impression that you have something of a bias towards railways on the eastern side of London but south of The Wash ? :jester:  Oh and just to upset the rest of your day I saw a certain ex GER 2-4-0 while it was still in traffic in BR days and, gravitating northwards, I had a number of D49s underlined in my ABC as they were very much North Eastern area (and Scottish) engines.

But really,the gap in the current NE catalogue is surely the B16 ? :senile:

• Agree 1