Ex-GWR 2906 'Lady of Lynn' - livery circa 1948-1952

Henry 84F

Hi all, 

I'm looking to determine the paintwork applied to 2906 'Lady of Lynn' between the years of 1948 and 1952.

I'm in the final stages of fusing together an SE Finecast Saint body with the chassis of a Hall and the wheelsets of a Castle to create 2906 'Lady of Lynn'. I've modified the running plate under the cab and have some outside steam pipes on order. I'd like to model 2906 in her short stint under British Railways. From the few photos out there, I have been under the impression that 2906 was work-worn and grubby enough to be considered black - was the paint also black underneath the grime? If so, was 2906 black for the entirety of its BR career? I can also determine, from some pictures, that the Canton cleaners polished her up for her final day/s in traffic, revealing a faded G W R on the tender. I'm really looking for an excuse to get the green paint out but hope someone can confirm that my understanding of the plain black is correct.

Thank you for reading,

Henry

saint.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I don't know what date this is, but it looks in good nick here, with I think post-1945 G W R on the tender:

2906-1.jpg.8b08a890c75547b7b69cd8aba6d16b7f.jpg

Thank you. One of the few photos of what I believe was its final day. Green or black though - what do you think?

Much appreciated,

Henry

Edited by Henry 84F

If that is anywhere near August 1952, it would definitely have had a post-1945 repaint. 2906 did not receive BR lined black. That means it is showing a pre-1949 repaint. The condition in that picture looks too good to be a pre-1945 repaint. That means it is in green. Possibly unlined. Possibly repainted in 1948.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is also this, in August 1949, if you have not already seen it:

…https://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffsimages/22649488024

(link posted with dots at the start to stop the software embedding the image instead of the link)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Photo of it with G crest W on it's tender as well. 

Interesting - the pic I posted earlier could be G crest W. Or it could be a different tender of course!  Edit: it is a different tender!!

Here's 2906 at Birmingham SH, undated, reasonably clean loco but indeterminate tender insignia:

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/GWRSteam-1/Churchward-Locomotives/Churchward-Assorted/Churchward-2900-Saint-Class/2901-2910-Lady-Series/i-JnsQH7Q/A

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the links to photos. There are a handful out there of 2906 in her BR days and I think I might have accumulated many hours over the last few weeks trying to work out whether she was green or black!

Anymore suggestions as to what colour I should have on her would be much appreciated. 

Outside steam pipes arrived today!

I seem to remember reading that just before withdrawal the shedmaster at Canton had her specially cleaned so that she could go out in a bit of style. I think the first photo from Miss Prism may show her at that time. 

She does not seem to have been repainted by BR but if she had been repainted post war by the GWR she would probably have been repainted in lined green. So it is possible she retained wartime black until withdrawal. If I were building her I would probably paint her black.

2 hours ago, sandra said:

I seem to remember reading that just before withdrawal the shedmaster at Canton had her specially cleaned so that she could go out in a bit of style. I think the first photo from Miss Prism may show her at that time. 

She does not seem to have been repainted by BR but if she had been repainted post war by the GWR she would probably have been repainted in lined green. So it is possible she retained wartime black until withdrawal. If I were building her I would probably paint her black.

Thank you for your insight. I do seem to remember a photo caption somewhere of 2906 described to be in 'austerity black'. I wonder then if the G W R lettering I have ordered is incorrect and should be the non-shaded variation using during the war. 

Much appreciated, 

Henry 

• RMweb Gold

She looks clean black to me in those photos taken during that last week, on shed and at Leckwith Jc.  The G W R on the tender was shaded; the unshaded 'Grotesque' lettering was a feature of Caerphilly Works output, which was entirely tank locos at this time though the works did repair tender locos including Trematon Castle during later BR days.  2721s, 57xx, 8750, 56xx, 42xx and 72xx were among the locos that recieved the 'grotesque' austerity livery at Caerphilly between 1942 and 1945; there may well have been others but I have seen photos of the above classes with the livery, both in unlined green and unlined black variations.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, The Johnster said:

She looks clean black to me in those photos taken during that last week, on shed and at Leckwith Jc.  The G W R on the tender was shaded; the unshaded 'Grotesque' lettering was a feature of Caerphilly Works output, which was entirely tank locos at this time though the works did repair tender locos including Trematon Castle during later BR days.  2721s, 57xx, 8750, 56xx, 42xx and 72xx were among the locos that recieved the 'grotesque' austerity livery at Caerphilly between 1942 and 1945; there may well have been others but I have seen photos of the above classes with the livery, both in unlined green and unlined black variations.

Thanks for your response. I'm glad I've ordered the correct transfers to fade into the paintwork. Black she will be then.

Much appreciated,

Henry