New Hornby Code Numbers, a new era?

robmcg

10 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Actually the original R. Number system was not as quoted above...

The original Train Sets were numbered, without the R.

No. 0, No.1, etc. Similar to Hornby (Meccano) O Gauge models.

Later R.0, R.1, etc.

R.1X was the same set as R.1, the Black Princess with two R.21 B.R. 7 inch coaches in Carmine and Cream, but whereas the plain numbered sets contained a Battery Box developed from the original Rovex M&S set Battery Box, the X suffix sets contained a speed controller, later called a circuit controller. Plus the track of course...

The No.0, and R0 sets were the Tri-ang Railways equivalent of the Rovex M&S sets, the Black Princess, with two R.20 LMS 6 inch coaches, and the Battery Box. Plus the track of course...

Later sets used letters.

RA, with the X suffix set being RAX.

Then Sets had the RS prefix....

In the late 50s, Triang also produced starter sets in the "Primary" series with the RP prefix.

• Agree 1

Ruffnet Thorston's post was very interesting.  The R044 black point motor passing contact switch, R046 yellow two way lever switch and 047 green two way lever switch date right back to early Tri-ang days in the 40-49 series for switches etc when they were R44, R46 and R47.  I think that they are the only items that have survived largely unchanged since the 1950s and comparing the original prices to their present prices is a good way of judging model railway inflation.

Yes, the lever frame switches haven’t changed much at all.

R.44 became RT.44 as it could be used with the OO/HO and TT Gauge ranges.

R.044 from C1973. R 044 since the . After the R was dropped...

I have edited my previous post to add the Primary Series sets, and a few other additions, including photos.... :)

2 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Yes, the lever frame switches haven’t changed much at all.

R.44 became RT.44 as it could be used with the OO/HO and TT Gauge ranges.

R.044 from C1973. R 044 since the . After the R was dropped...

I have edited my previous post to add the Primary Series sets, and a few other additions, including photos.... :)

I think you mean after the T was dropped but it was interesting that RT. 44 could also be used with the TT gauge range.  Tri-ang introduced R.44 in 1955 for 5s 10p or 25.83 pence.  Hattons are now advertising it for £9 which is 34.8 times the original price.  This is not far from Simon Kohler's Mars bar analogy which cost 2.5p around 1960 and costs £1 now so he thought prices had risen by 40 times since 1960.  

10 hours ago, Robin Brasher said:

I think you mean after the T was dropped but it was interesting that RT. 44 could also be used with the TT gauge range.  Tri-ang introduced R.44 in 1955 for 5s 10p or 25.83 pence.  Hattons are now advertising it for £9 which is 34.8 times the original price.  This is not far from Simon Kohler's Mars bar analogy which cost 2.5p around 1960 and costs £1 now so he thought prices had risen by 40 times since 1960.  

Nope...after the full stop (.) after the R was dropped...I don’t know when, but comparatively recently to me! ;)

• Informative/Useful 1