What is the correct ohm etc for resistors for led bulbs

Hi ..

Sorry as a novice in wiring up of a layout .. I come across difficulties ..

Wiring up the control board and house lighting etc I am using led's .. which need a resistor .. but which one ..

I know it is 1k .. but what ohm etc ..

It is such a minefield out there ..

Thank you for all information ..

This is not so easy to answer because it will depend on the voltage being used to supply the LEDs, the colour, the required brightness and maximum LED current rating. Also how the LEDs are to be connected needs to be considered (series/parallel). I'm sure by a bit of Googling you should be able to find some guidance. There is no simple answer to this question.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Chris_L said:

Hi ..

Wiring up the control board and house lighting etc I am using led's .. which need a resistor .. but which one ..

1k is 1000 ohms. 

Andi

If you are running them on 12volts 1 to 2K (1000 ohms to 2000 ohms) is a good ballpark figure. LED's are a current device and not all have the same current rating. The current rating on a LED should be treated as a maximum, they will all work with less current. Make sure you connect them the correct way round or they will be instant;ly destroyed.

I always run mine on 10 milliamps. LEDs once lit do not vary a great deal in brightness, so the actual value is not critical. The voltage drop across the LED is around two to three volts dependant on colour which for a twelve volt supply leaves about ten volts to drop conveniently requiring a one kilohm (1000 ohm) resistor. For a five volt supply the values are: three volts and 300 ohms. The nearest preferred values are 270 and 330 ohms (either will do). A ¼ watt rating is more than adequate.

Resistors are available cheaply direct from China on eBay (as long as you are not in a hurry!).

• Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, LimboBrit said:

Actually LED luminance is very roughly linear to LED current

Not according to this:

https://ledshield.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/led-brightness-to-your-eye-gamma-correction-no/

It is true that the actual luminance varies with current (approximately), but the human eye is not linear, so the perceived brightness varies much less.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

It is true that the actual luminance varies with current (approximately), but the human eye is not linear, so the perceived brightness varies much less.

That is correct but it is not true to say that brightness does not vary greatly witnessed by the functionality of LED dimmers.

3 hours ago, Chris_L said:

Hi ..

Go here: http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/calculator/v5/led.php

That will give you the suitable resistor value.

50 minutes ago, LimboBrit said:

That is correct but it is not true to say that brightness does not vary greatly witnessed by the functionality of LED dimmers.

That's because LED dimmers work with a PWM output to the LED. not by simply reducing current.

7 minutes ago, meil said:

That's because LED dimmers work with a PWM output to the LED. not by simply reducing current.

By using PWM you can change the current going through it and therefore brightness without changing the colour point of the LED

Edited by LimboBrit