Brighton East - EM Third Rail

kipford

........All it needs now is some seagulls on the platform end, they are a nuisance in Kemptown...........

Plus the sound, the noise they make when disturbed is something else. 

I went to Kemp Town with Dad before I was at School.  Probably to buy coal.  All I can remember is the smell of creosote and coal on a hot summers day.

The 'Royal Sussex' brings back lots of memories, It's a real maze inside now...

Excellent model.

• 4 months later...

I suddenly realised the other day its 8 months since I last posted an update on Brighton! So what has been happening? Well my other modelling life has intervened, We have had the SHMRC layout, Hope-under-Dinmore on the road and won best in show at EXPO EM, then I had to write the article which is this months Railway of the Month in the Railway Modeller. My son and co-builder passed his finals and is now doctoring in Plymouth (so that involved a lot transporting things around). Plus of course I still have to earn a living.

Anyway things have moved on, they have to as we are confirmed to attend DEMU in 2014!

Scenics: The station building and canopy is basically finished and weathered, but not planted. I have also scratch built the digital clock so reminiscent of the period and the train indicator screens.

The Barry building has all its detail but needs weathering, again its not been planted. The terrace buildings are weathered but not planted. The hospital oxygen cylinders are finished and use home brewed transfers.

The tunnel mouth was supposed to be covered with scalescene paper, but a test piece showed for some reason that it just did not look right. So the bullet was bitten and it was re-designed with laser cut brickwork, I think it looks right now. It needs a bit more weathering but the surround chalk areas need completing first.

Stock:

Caroline is finished and made her exhibition at EXPO EM on Woodfield Road.

Although slightly tenuous we had to have a Thumper in Connex colours. It been EM’d and weathered and looks fabulous. A second 4-VEP has also found its way home. Its not been re-wheeled yet as the decision with this one is whether to keep it in NSE colours or to bite the bullet and re-spray it Connex!

Anyway enough rambling here are some photos of recent events.

Some shots of Caroline:

attachicon.gifIMG_0718a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0676.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0677.JPG

Tunnel Mouth

attachicon.gifIMG_0708.JPG

Shot down the platform 

attachicon.gifIMG_0688.JPG

Caroline, Thumper and 4-VEP

attachicon.gifIMG_0939.JPG

Station Building 

attachicon.gifIMG_0945.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0957.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0951.JPG

Barry building

attachicon.gifIMG_0952.JPG

Oxygen Cylinder 

attachicon.gifIMG_0955.JPG

Hi Dave, Re my PM earlier, this is weird, I was born in Plymouth, I'M NOT STALKING YOU, honest, hahha

Really great layout, I wish I had joined a Club when I was at W/ville, but I was also in a band and that took a couple of evenings a week and my mate George T on here and I would go to Eastleigh or Maritime, about once a week as well as he lived in Gosport.

Halfway through page 6 so not far to go to get to today's postings.

All the best,

Andy. :sungum:

Hi Dave, this is getting weirder by the Day, I have just been reading your article on Hope under Dinmore, and very good it is too, BUT its in the same issue as my O Gauge layout, Trebudoc.

All the best,

Andy :sungum:

• 3 months later...

Morning Dave, looking really nice, the rock / chalk face is really good and the grass makes all the difference.

I'm hoping to get time to pop into DEMU and just say Hello, Have a good show if I don't post on here before then.

All the best, Andy.

Superb! I've lived in Brighton the past 12 years and this oozes Brightonian atmosphere :) I thought that was Howard Place on the back scene at first, but its more likely to be Sutherland Road?

Would love to see this in the flesh

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave

I can only aspire to getting Tidworth to look this good, perhaps I should give up now, well done sir! I look forward to catching up with you and getting a closer look at DEMU.

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure Dave is delighted with the comments.  We are certainly delighted that Dave and Matthew are bringing Brighton East along to DEMU's Showcase!

<shameless plug>Roll up, roll up! Come to DEMU's Showcase exhibition in Burton upon Trent on 31 May and 1 June to see Brighton East in the flesh!</shameless plug>

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi David,

Only just caught up with this Topic. Would you be prepared to sell an HO version of the kit of the Plate Steel buffer stops and if so for how much? They are just like some I need for my Swiss layout.

Simon

No posts for a while as I (we) have been flat out getting it as complete as possible for DEMU. Mrs Kipford has made all the trees, 40 buddlea plants and flocked the cliff face. The base layer static grass was put in last night with the help of Grwat Shefford and his Noch Grassmaster. Suddenly its all comming together. There will be a few details missing for DEMU but the layout will be scenically finished, dispite the efforts of work to send me away on business! A couple of photos to show progress.

attachicon.gifRMDSC00958.jpg

attachicon.gifRMDSC00954.jpg

attachicon.gifRMDSC00955.jpg

attachicon.gifRMDSC00962.jpg

Amazing layout, really captures the look of Brighton and Kemp town

Thought would add one more picture that was forgotten of the hospital and the new back scene.

The depicted streets (allowing for artistic liscence) are Freshfield Road for the terraced houses, with the back of Evelyn Terrace over the depot, and at the other end is a general view over Eastern Road around where the Gala bingo is now equating to roughly where the station was...

post-11390-0-07463900-1400166666.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

To everyone who commnented yesterday, we were surprised, but non the less delighted at the reaction just adding a bit of greenery has had, thanks to you all.  

Hi David,

Only just caught up with this Topic. Would you be prepared to sell an HO version of the kit of the Plate Steel buffer stops and if so for how much? They are just like some I need for my Swiss layout.

Simon

Simon, I will have to say no. Whilst there would be no problem getting you a kit of parts, it would require re-modelling for HO as its not just a matter of scaling from 4 mm to 3.5 mm and work/other commitments means I do not have the time to do it.

Regards

Dave