Brighton East - EM Third Rail

kipford

The tunnel signal is complete and planted. The position and design was based on the signal at the western exit of the tunnel to Southampton Central, then using the RGS documents on position and visiblity requirements as a guide. Its position is still not completely legal but the yard entry prevents me from doing anything else. Because of its position the signal is non operational (phew!). The gantry itself is scratch built from evergreen strip. The ladder is mix of an MSE ladder and with the safety cage built from brass strip. The signal heads and theatre indicators are 3D prints I had done by Shapeways a couple of years ago, they were designed to have LED's fitted and I have enough spares for the Platform signals which will be operational and are next on the build list.

First photos are of the signal heads and Theatre Indicators as recieved from Shapeways, not fettled, just given a quick coat of primer so they photograph.

attachicon.gifP9080155_edited-1.jpg

attachicon.gifP9080159_edited-1.jpg

Second two are of the finished gantry. The signal reference number we know would be Three Bridges, but the number is made up.

attachicon.gifDSC01151small.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01152small.jpg

Finally planted on the layout.

attachicon.gifDSC01153small.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01155small.jpg

fabulous work Dave. Could I just ask what made you go to Shapeways rather than Absolute Aspects. for example, who could have done all of this, with the indicators and signals already fitted and working, or as much as you required? I have no connection with either of them, but having considered Shapeways, I was put off by the huge postage costs, which made the AA products look like a comparative deal.

• RMweb Gold

Mike

To a certain extent it was because I can. Also at the time I was originally planning the signals it was the change over period from Roger Murray and theree was no detail around on what was available pricing etc. The platform signals and the shunt ones will be operational. The ground signals will be proprietry and I am coming around to using propretry heads on my own gantry for the signal, if only because I am liable to run out of time before the next outing at Southampton in January.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

New addition to the fleet. One of Great Sheffords tampers. Its been built since Christmas (it was the first production unit built to proof the assembly instructions). It 99.9% there. Some weathering need but more important the photographs have shown up a fit problem with the cab roofs I did not notice. It will be fixed though! Also the Thumper got a Lego Biffoman sound chip which is awesome.

post-1359-0-20407100-1410982796.jpg

post-1359-0-58937700-1410982803.jpg

Edited by kipford
  • Like 17

Hi,

Just wandering about the signal gantry at the tunnel, surely where you've placed it, the drivers wouldn't be able to see the signal on the approach, more likely, as the points are so close to the tunnel entrance, the signal would actually be in the tunnel, within a recess.

It's a nice model though, and the 3D printed heads look good!

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 1

I think this has been asked above but I can't find it.  Are you planning on selling the buddleia at all, such as on eBay?  It is just what I need for my latest layout and I'm sure there'd be lots of interest as it's found just about everywhere! 

Just wandering about the signal gantry at the tunnel, surely where you've placed it, the drivers wouldn't be able to see the signal on the approach, more likely, as the points are so close to the tunnel entrance, the signal would actually be in the tunnel, within a recess.

No problem, there's a prototype for that, the one at the country of Saltwood tunnel in Kent is in a similar position but the signals are visble right through the tunnel.

• RMweb Gold

Simon

As mentioned earlier the protoype for the location was based on the gantry at the western end of the tunnel leading to Southampton Central station. I checked the position for the Brighton gantry in line with the guide lines in the railway standards and with a bit of artistic licence it is just about correct. I agree the points are bit close to gantry and I thought long and hard about the position, but hey the whole layout is a compromise and I liked the idea of a gantry.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It may have been back in 2010 that you posted it (post #4) but I thought that I'd drop a post in here to let you know I've copied your Kadee electromagnet mounting approach on my Doxey End layout and quoted your thread in mine. Most of what I am doing is copied from elsewhere, but I like to give credit where I can. So thank you for that idea, and also an inspirational layout and thread that was a joy to read with some fantastic pictures!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

First non Brighton Buddlea for delivery to Maggie and Alan of Warren Lane at the SHMRC show tomorrow. Mrs Kipford has been busy.

Spent the day with Alan and Mags and Oldshaw and came to an arrangement whereby some of the buddlea will appear on Tidworth. Big thanks to Mrs Kipford and Alan!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Mike separate pm on it way. An interloper appeared on Brighton today. The Craftsman T1 in the photo was my first etched loco kit and has been squirreled away for a few years now after being part of the loco roster for Peter Bailey's Otterbridge. I thought it should see the light of day again and after being chipped duely duely made its debut.

post-1359-0-04493500-1417378458.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Signals:

With the Southampton Show in January rapidly approaching I thought I had better finish off sorting out the working signals. Ground signal for the yard exit and the gantry for the platform starters.

The ground shunt signal is a CR Signals one. Good value,quick and easy to install, see the photo below.

post-1359-0-03985200-1418320009.jpg

The platform signal is a much more complex affair. Based on a gantry at the end of one of the platforms at Waterloo (see next photo). I could have used two single post signals here, but preferred the look of a more complex gantry.

post-1359-0-90566800-1418319952.jpg

The next picture is the CAD model, It was designed around using a scratch built brass gantry with 3D printed signal heads and theatre bodies fitted with LEDS.

post-1359-0-19141200-1418320112.jpg

For DEMU I built a non-working gantry as a stop gap. The gantry, signal heads and theatre bodies were 3D printed, the lattice cross braces were laser cut from 0.5mm phenolic paper , Soldered brass wire handrail and plastic ladders fitted, see photo below (the plastic extension was a dimensional Cӣ$K up on my part hastily rectified at DEMU.

post-1359-0-85148900-1418319974.jpg

With the success of the 3D printed version and being inherently lazy, A working 3D version seemed appropriate. I decided not to make up my own signal heads and theatre bodies, instead splashing the cash on again CR Signals 3 aspect signal heads and two working theatre indicators from Absolute Aspects. The 3D printed version for DEMU was a bit chunky so I thinned out the sections as far as I dared without compromising the structural integrity (big hand breaking it). The printed gantry frame is shown in the above photo. Spot the problem, the thinning out of the sections is resulting in warping which requires the use of brass section to keep it straight, this was also compromising the amount of space available to run the wiring and still looked a bit chunky in section.

So I bit the bullet and went back to basically what I originally planned. The next photo, where I am to date shows the scratch built gantry frame, I think the ability to use thinner brass section and the inherently better surface finish makes a much nicer product. Plus it will be much more Dave proof. The gantry lattice will still be laser cut though. More photos as it progresses.

post-1359-0-08062800-1418319988.jpg

One more picture totally off topic. Another project I am working on – 4mm scale LNWR crane tank and shunting engine. These will multi-media kits (etched brass, resin casting, brass castings etc). It will be subject to a separate thread when I get a bit more

post-1359-0-82001100-1418320035_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

Truly excellent. Every time I look at pictures of Brighton East, I spot things I hadn't noticed before... the attention to detail is outstanding.

• RMweb Premium

Your layout makes me feel a bit home sick Dave, it's that good!

Are you going to paint some of the seagulls  light brown to represent chicks? Or will they be the blue and white striped variety??

Regards Shaun 

• RMweb Gold

Sean

Seagulls are painted as the Heron Gulls that scavenge your your food and keep you awake at night with their raucous noise!

Mark

Phew, just hope it lives up to expectations. Please introduce yourself if you go.

• Like 1