Brighton East - EM Third Rail

kipford

• RMweb Gold

That is excellent, but in your assembled shots, the buffer stop rail tops should be flush with the running rail top.

Thanks but Its only temporarliy layed on a piece of spare track and has not been fully pushed home.

Regards

Dave

Edited by kipford
  • Like 1

Good to see CATIA being put to good use for once, makes a change from planes and F1 chassis! Are you managing it in SmartTeam too? lol

Who knows, I might have even trained you on V5.

Great bit of modelling going on there, look forward to seeing more.

Adriano

• RMweb Gold

Adriano

Nice to hear from a fellow high end CAD fellow. I must admit in my current position as Chief Designer for an Aerospace company I do not get the seat time I used to, so modelling projects keep my hand in. Do not mention smarteam, the only piece of CAD software where the time taken to produce a model and drawing at least doubles in time and crashes with monotomous regularity :nono:

Regards

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Only just found this thread. What a superb project and so wonderfully described and illustrated. Prototype is relatively local to me so it'll be nice to see the development continue.

Thanks.... Jon

I've just read through this thread from the beginning and I have to say I was impressed enough before you got to the buildings and buffer stops. very nice work. I can't wait for the station buildings and canopy to be done. :)

Great modelling. Having always been a drawing board and craft knife type it really impresses me with what can be achieved with the newer technology. Try dentils or corbels for the projections under the roof line. No doubt someone with more architectural knowledge than me will be able to elucidate further.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments guys, its really appreciated I have only just noticed, due to pressure of other things! Latest (additional) project, its too cold to undercoat the station building at present, is plate buffer stops for the running lines ala Brighton. Pete Harvey does a very similar one in etched brass but they are in OO and will not do an EM version unless he gets a minimum of 12 to make the etch viable which is fair. So I have done my own version using a mix of laser cut parts and Evergreen section. Two are part assembled and it all seems OK so far. The difference with these from other laser cut parts is that Jonathan of the laser cutter now has a phenolic paper, basically that used for transformer laminations, which is available in 025 mm and 0.5 mm thickness, this is now opening up a new level of fidelity which was not available with Romark. I will post some pictures when I get the first one assembled.

Hi Kipford,

That is a mighty fine production of a buffer stop. There are some similar ones in Aberystwyth and they have some clamps on the rails behind the stops. I suppose these are a last line of defence if the stop is moved backwards.

Thought I'd mention it as you are the sort of modeller who would include details like that. The station building and canopy are also so evocative of the Italianate style used by the LB&SCR. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I have a copy of the track plan of Kemptown. They certainly squeezed a lot of track into a small space on the real thing!

I must say that the EMUs at Brighton are a lot more colourful than when I was last there as a passenger in the mid-seventies.

All the best,

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Colin

Thanks for the comments. Ref the clamps I agree I need check the stops at Brighton, we normally go to Brighton train to see my Son. For various reasons this year we had to drive each time so I have not been able check for myself and I have been unable to find a photo on the interweb of the stops taken from the opposite way to those above.

Thanks for the offer of the Kemp Town track plan, I actually have a copy in the Peter Harding book on the branch. Brighton East was never meant to be a copy of Kemp Town but is an in the spirit of. The track plan although short in length, a similar setting to Ventnor, appears to require wide base boards. I must admit though it does cross my mind every so often to build Kemp Town and set it around 1960-1962 ish but assuming again the passenger service had remained open and been electrified. I think I will spend a few lunch time hours setting it out on Templot to see how much room it really needs and report back. Shunting a 4 way point with the toe located in the tunnel mouth, would be interesting, see the photo below, a case for Alex Jackson couplings me thinks.

post-1359-0-92297000-1355599020_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I have spent a couple of lunchtimes with the real track plan. Here is the fruits of the labour. In 4mm scale without any compression the length is only 14 ft (very usable) howver the width!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8ft. Would be an interesting challenge because it remained pretty much as drawn up to closure.

post-1359-0-31721800-1356024817.jpg

What do you think Colin?

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with an 8'-wide layout is reach, obviously. You might be able to reach 4', but sustained work at that reach can be very tiring on the back etc. I prefer a layout at 4' or more elevation, and that could be quite tricky with so wide a board. You would also need to be able to get round all three scenic sides during operating sessions. Not recommended.

Hi Kipford,

Sorry I didn't see this post yesterday. Rather distracted by Hornby 2 BIL discussion!

Re. the plan, that is certainly an interesting piece of work. I haven't looked at my copy of the original LB&SCR plan for a while, so it was a surprise to see how wide the site was. There was a remarkable amount of trackwork for the area and the running line is dead straight. It almost looks like a model railway! Given that you used an automatic coupling system, it would be entirely possible to operate a layout of this width - unless there was a derailment.

It throws up the question though: How would the baseboards be designed? In a radical departure from conventional layout building, it looks as if seven 8' x 2' boards transversely arranged would be best in avoiding joints through pointwork. But what about that four-way point? Just imagine: the whole layout relies on that point functioning correctly. Rather you than me Kipford!

Given that EMUs were stored in the tunnel during WWII, a point (no pun intended) could be stretched to model Kemptown with 3rd rail electrification. In fact a couple of 2 BILs wouldn't go amiss if you did!

This reply is a bit off-topic, but we can all see now how you developed your ideas for Brighton East from Kemptown.

All the best,

Colin

Edited by Colin parks

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Andy

Did you simulate the clamps, and if so, how?

Thought about it, using something like a thick thread and cyno, but as you view from 2ft away you will be hard pressed to see it and life is just to short!

• Like 3