Brighton East - EM Third Rail

kipford

• RMweb Premium

Believe it or not I`m a Brightonian and sure was born in that low relief backscene. My first love lived in an edwardian terrace just like the second from left in your superb model replica!  Just old enough to remember the old Kemp Town station too, seem to remember watching the demolition progress each week from a number 2A bus journey each Saturday with my grandfather. I also have a firm memory of a gronk inching its way across the Lewes road viaduct and also wondered what would have become of one of Englands shortest branch lines had it survived.

Good stuff this and I`ll be watching with anticipation.

Shaun. 

Edited by Sasquatch

• RMweb Gold

Colin

The colour is bang-on for the walls.  Have you turned the facade to face east? 

Thanks for you comments. The colour I forget what it is, is a B & Q emulsion tester pot. Yes you are correct the facade does face east! The building though, like the rest of the layout, is a pastiche of recognisable bits from the Barry building (soon to be demolished when they redevelop the hospital) but viewed from what is assumed to be the rear.

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hybridangel

The EMU (which is a DC Kits Sandite Unit, with a Blackbeetle drive) was airbrushed using Railmatch Railtrack yellow and blue. The Transfers were home brewed using crafty computer decal paper. The only problem withe transfers was the large green transfer had to be printed on white paper with a blue (the results of loads of test prints with different rgb settings to get the correct match) background, because of colour bleed through when printed on clear paper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I need some help, a while ago I posted in the questions/help part of the forum on what colour to paint the station? I had a couple of useful replies, but am still not sure. The period is 1999-2001 ish. I have almost decided that although if Kemp Town had survived it would have been mainly Connex trains, but because they were cheapskates the station would have remained in NSE livery but a bit faded. So NSE colours for canopy supports, doors, railing etc would be red. As the building is rendered that will be a dirty white (or magnolia?), window sills grey, but what about the rendered window surrounds and the frames also red? I have been searching the web for photos around that time but cannot seem to find anything suitable. Thanks in advance

Hi Dave

First time I've seen this question.

However, it looks like the windows would be white.

I found a couple of photos here http://www.networksoutheast.net/nse-survivors.html Although taken in 2008 it may help. The best picture I found was of Grange Park near the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

Ooh, Colin! You've made me come over all unnecessary! Much of the best crumpet in my skooldays used Leatherhead station!

Wikeley & Middleton, in Railway Stations Southern Region, have a very similar view, taken a decade earlier, and point out that the valancing style was relatively unusual for the Brighton, more common on the SER. ISTR the architect was C.H.Driver, who also designed Dorking, where I started my career!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

How about a spanner in the works? At the club last night discussing this issue, the local 'experts' suggested that it may still have been BR southern region green frames, white sashes and off white/distemper/creamy walls all weathered down. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! something to think about while I have dinner. SWSBO is out tonight and I have a free modelling night not to be wasted.

• RMweb Gold

how much did the emu kit and black beetle drive kit cost you all together? and is it a brass kit?

sorry for all the questions but i have never built a kit and only run rtr models and i want to dip my toe into the world of kits.

Terry sorry for not responding earlier. The EPB is a DC kits Sandite Unit, current cost is £30.64 from DC kits, you will need a motor bogie and 6 axles for the bogies. I used black beetle bits at £45 for the motor bogie and £1.84 each for axles. Paint will be extra but assume around £3.00 a tin. Decoders and lights are all extra again. Its not cheap but at the time it was the only route to a Sandite EPB. In EM it still works out cheaper than converting a Baccy unit.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

That Connex thumper is great! And Caroline steals the show. Am enjoying this layout immensely. All it needs now is some seagulls on the platform end, they are a nuisance in Kemptown. 

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 1