Brighton East - EM Third Rail

kipford

• RMweb Gold

Thanks guys only problem with article is it shows the tamper viewed from a distance the public and me do not view at. Showscit has a s#@t paint job, was quite annoyed with it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not posted anything technical for ages. So something slightly different, I have been experimenting with Wireless Throttles running off either an I-Phone or Android tablet over the last 4 or 5 exhibitions and now have the set up nailed. It is a bit marmite for some people but it is very now and the kids are very impressed when you walk around in front of the layout with no wires connected. So this is a quick guide to what has been done. Now the first admission, this has all been put together by Nigel Phillips one of my fellow club members and regular operators. He is one of our resident computer geeks and a regular demonstrator on the MERG display stands. So what do you need. First you keep the NCE power cab. Next you get an NCE USB interface (which I already had). Then you get hold of a raspberry PI and let the clever clogs load up JMRI on it and do a couple of other things I do not understand. Now the PI has an on board wireless router so it can talk to any other device that has a wifi link, like an I-phone, I-pad, Android phone or pad. On the I-phone you get install a free app called WIThrottle Lite, on Android the similar app is called Engine Driver.

Photos 1 and 2 show my test track with a USB interface board built in. The USB board is plugged into one of the slave ports on the NCE power panel. The PI is connected by a printer into the other side of the USB interface.

post-1359-0-52360800-1494710016_thumb.jpgpost-1359-0-25620600-1494710030_thumb.jpg

Photo 3 shows the PI attached to a touch screen.

post-1359-0-11200600-1494710048_thumb.jpg

Photo 4 shows all the bits needed, Power Cab, PI, and an I-phone.

post-1359-0-40384800-1494710071_thumb.jpg

Photo 5 shows the WIThrottle app logo

post-1359-0-81335800-1494710087_thumb.jpg

Photo 6 the PI with JMRI running

post-1359-0-08496800-1494710101_thumb.jpg

Photos 7 and 8, the WIThrottle app. The first photo shows the view where you select the loco number and the stack. The second shows the throttle. It has a slider throttle and the function are in the panel to the right. Slideing the panel brings up all the functions up to F28.

post-1359-0-40525200-1494710121_thumb.jpgpost-1359-0-39904300-1494710395_thumb.jpg

The next step is to build the PI into the layout infrastructure which will be done for Southwold in August.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I was just directed to this thread and I have to say, it's a wonderful layout and is in fact very similar to my West Wittering terminus layout based just down the coast. Will this be appearing at any exhibitions in the coming future? Many thanks,

Rory

Edited by FJ1701

• RMweb Gold

I was just directed to this thread and I have to say, it's a wonderful layout and is in fact very similar to my West Wittering terminus layout based just down the coast. Will this be appearing at any exhibitions in the coming future? Many thanks,

Rory

Rory

I restrict the number of outings each year, 2018 dates are as follows:

Tonbridge Feb

Ally Pally March

Beaconsfield July

Uckfield October

Warley NEC November

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It has been a funny old day today, I retired from the corporate rat race! So time to properly start the 5" inch gauge loco :sungum:

One of my presents was this:

post-1359-0-88438800-1513969174_thumb.jpg

It is the 5 day clock from a Mig 29 fighter how cool! (I have worked all my life in Aerospace) Even my wife likes it. Matt would die for it.

Edited by kipford
  • Like 16

It has been a funny old day today, I retired from the corporate rat race! So time to properly start the 5" inch gauge loco :sungum:

One of my presents was this:

attachicon.gifIMG_15931.JPG

It is the 5 day clock from a Mig 29 fighter how cool! (I have worked all my life in Aerospace) Even my wife likes it. Matt would die for it.

Extremely pictersqueue Dave, but are you sure? It looks very much like the combined clock, petrol gauge and rev counter from my mate's Moskvich.

• RMweb Gold

Mike

Brand new this cost a lot more than a Moskovitch. I have the Russian Component Maintainence Manual for it by the way with all the internal details and a translation of how to operate it. The top dial indicates total flight time, the lower one is a stop watch. Supposedly my now ex Russian sales collegues meet some guy on a corner in Moscow to do the deal to obtain these! We did a similar one for our manufacturing plant Director who beat me to exit gate a couple of months ago.

• Like 3

Mike

Brand new this cost a lot more than a Moskovitch. I have the Russian Component Maintainence Manual for it by the way with all the internal details and a translation of how to operate it. The top dial indicates total flight time, the lower one is a stop watch. Supposedly my now ex Russian sales collegues meet some guy on a corner in Moscow to do the deal to obtain these! We did a similar one for our manufacturing plant Director who beat me to exit gate a couple of months ago.

Was that by Haynes?

Truly, you have a great present there - when does the rest of the plane arrive? If your contact can't do it, I think I know a chap who drinks in the Wellington who could do it, but get in there before they demolish it......

Edited by Mike Storey

• RMweb Premium

Looking through the pictures again this one stands out, no more until after the magazine article.

attachicon.gifFeature_5rm.jpg

PS I had to drop the resolution to upload it but the printed version is stunning, Thanks again Andy if you read this. 

You sure you didn't sneak out to local tracks and snap a picture of the real trains? Because that's what it looks like! :jester:

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have posted this elsewhere on here, and thought it may be of interest, as it covers the Kemp Town Branch, the inspiration behing Brighton East...

The Hospital on Brighton East is based on the Hospital in the area of the old Kemp Town Station. The Royal Sussex Hospital, which is in reality to the East of the old station, further along Eastern Road.

The old station was on Coalbrook Road, which has been replaced by Freshfield Way, which is a side road, parrallel to Eastern Road, one road in!

The station site was re-developed into an Industrial Estate, with a new road called Stephenson Road!

Site of Kemp Town Station...Where Jewson is now!

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8220273,-0.1203772,431m/data=!3m1!1e3

The tunnel mouth is visible in this shot from Streetview...

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.822819,-0.1227241,3a,15y,22.29h,90.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2DfsHvWGTSRmlIoMK8Zm9A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I can actually remember the old Kemp Town station, before it was demolished....I have also walked the lengh of the tunnel, which was single track, and not so far short of 3/4 of a mile long!

Google maps measurement, a straight line (The tunnel had a curve, so was longer...there were at least 2 quarter mile posts still inside the tunnel...)  .Total distance: 901.93 m (2,959.08 ft) (0.6 Miles approx...)

As the far end had been capped, and burried, it was a return trip to the far end, with a good light!

Site of the Lewes End of the tunnel....By Elm Grove Primary School. (When the line was running, the tunnel mouth was below a wall on one side of the playground!) The round feature is almost on top of the tunnel mouth...and the Netball (or basketball?) pitch is on the line of the cutting, which can be followed to Hartington Road...

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8321189,-0.1229037,116m/data=!3m1!1e3

The actual line ran onto the Brighton to Lewes line towards Brighton,  just on the Lewes side of the London Road Tunnel...there could have been a tri-angular junction there with a line towards Lewes, without too much hassle, as the area was not very built up...OK, there has been some new building since I was last there! Another industrial estate on the site of a large, once rail served, coal yard...on the new Hughes Road...

Site of the Junction...

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8377935,-0.1298676,223m/data=!3m1!1e3

There were intermediate Stations at Lewes Road, just before the now demolished viaduct (Which crossed Lewes Road, and cut across Melbourne Street), where Sainsbury's is now...and Hartington Road Halt, just after the also demolished bridge over Hartington Road....where the cutting leading to the tunnel began.

The site of the viaduct and embankment can be spotted by the gap in the older housing, now filled with a new school, St Martin's. The site of Hartington Road Halt is now the site of the Anchor - Old Viaduct Court development.

The filled in and landscaped cutting is now partly William Clarke Park...

In it's short length, the branch was almost all either on a viaduct, embankment, bridge, or in a cutting or tunnel....

The Signal Box at the Junction survived for a long time as a "Summer House" for the residence of a BR employee off Princes Road...it looks like new houses are there now...

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still alive but working on the 5" gauge and bits for my sons layout, Brighton just keeps going with only the odd bit of maintenance needed. Anyway we are at Warley in a couple of weeks time, stand D58 if anyone wants to say hello.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello,

I've just finished reading this topic and it was great to finally see this at Taunton today.

As a converted EM'er (September 2016) myself, it was nice to see a layout from a finer scale attend the show.

I hope you don't mind me sharing a couple of pictures.

IMG_20191026_164642.jpg

IMG_20191026_160548.jpg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am still alive! Done a little bit of work on Brighton. First I got an Anycubic Photon for my birthday, great piece of kit. A challenge from Great Shefford of this parish to produce some patio able and chair sets for his Phwelli resulted these, I had to have a set for myself. The second photo shows a boiler for my LNWR shunting engine, I was well impressed. Anyway if you see us at exhibitions, I will have a few patio sets with me at £5 a set.

IMG_1426a.jpg.81e0e39a1ad99236dca0adfb23be3122.jpg

The rigors of exhibiting had also taken its toll on the yard crane gantry safety guards for the steps. As these are part of the Ratio kit I design some new ones and 3D printed them. coloured them a different colour to make it look like they had been repainted. They were more difficult to fit than anything.

IMG_1346.JPG.09fcceaecfeb287541b9fa7a54fea25c.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG.bf47506fe96c6abbe49ec684cf29e5d6.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG.eaa40e85ecbaef42f537f491443377c3.JPG

Next I decided I need some lighter stock boxes. The current boxes are made from softwood and MDF so are a tadge heavy. So after a chat with Tim Horn at our club show I designed some new boxes and got Tim to laser them. The result is shown below.

IMG_1518.JPG.b2a7e6ce55ae7c095f312efac07d8559.JPG

IMG_1520.JPG.1b620dadcf2137c819d94f8c5dac3346.JPG

IMG_1521.JPG.ae5d3fd6efcfdc6ec6b10fb61c398479.JPG

With the foam inserts added and loaded with stock.

IMG_1522.JPG.2373f310c8027295744dc20894a41fde.JPG

Exhibition wise Brighton is at the attending the following shows this year:

18/19 Jan, City of Canterbury MRS, St Anselm's School, Canterbury

8/9 Feb BRM Doncaster

14th March, 7th Chris Kedgley skills day, Didcot Civic Hall

23/24 May, Railex, Stoke Manderville,

17/18 October, Post Modernisation Exhibition, Lincoln and District MRC, Newark Showground

If you are at any of these come and say hello. 

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

I saw this layout at Doncaster on the quiet Sunday a couple of weeks back, and have really enjoyed reading through this and seeing it come to life. You spent ages with my son shunting a train, and he really enjoyed it. Thank you for that - it was a highlight of the show.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Great to see Brighton East again at the EMGS/S4Soc skills day in Didcot yesterday. 

One question, if I may. The postiche you used for the excellent brambles, do you have a source/link, please? I've tried googling and searching amazon / ebay, but all I get are full wigs/hairpieces. I'm guessing I'm not being specific enough. Tia.