Preorder email

Hilux5972

I've had my entire LNER MK4 and Farewell HST rakes cancelled. I ordered as soon as the items appeared on the website so this makes no sense.

My order for 2007 is still standing and the order for 60026 was not mentioned in the email.

Cheers,

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 60800 said:

I've had my entire LNER MK4 and Farewell HST rakes cancelled. I ordered as soon as the items appeared on the website so this makes no sense.

My order for 2007 is still standing and the order for 60026 was not mentioned in the email.

Cheers,

Yep I did the same with mine as soon as they appeared. My 2007 still remains as preorder too. Bloody frustrating 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, 60800 said:

Cheers,

From Hattons or from Hornby direct?

2 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Just received an email from Hattons saying they are unable to fulfill my preorder of Hornbys Grey Streamlined W1 and one of the Clans. Anyone else had a similar email?

I've had in the main good service from Hattons over the years.

However, with regards to Hornby, they've let me down so many times on pre-orders.

This started a few years back with the two Brits Lord Kitchener and Earl Haig.

• Agree 1

Same here, e-mail informing me they're unable to fulfil my Rocket train pack pre-order. The wording of the e-mail does indeed seem to suggest it affects multiple items in the range. Clearly it's outside of Hattons' control, but it does make you wonder what point there is in pre-ordering an item if there's no guarantee your order's going to be fulfilled. I wonder how they choose which orders to cancel, it'll be first come first served I'd imagine...

As a kick in the teeth to Hattons and presumably other retailers, Hornby are still accepting pre-orders for the same item on their website. So that's where my money's now going, unfortunately for my favourite and previously-local retailer.

Alan

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is what the email said. 

“Hornby have provided us with an update on their newly announced range of items for 2021. 

We are very sorry to let you know, we are unable to fulfil all pre-orders you have placed. The table below shows what you had on pre-order from the new range and what we are able to supply.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.”

• Friendly/supportive 2

Just now, jivebunny said:

Same here, e-mail informing me they're unable to fulfil my Rocket train pack pre-order. The wording of the e-mail does indeed seem to suggest it affects multiple items in the range. Clearly it's outside of Hattons' control, but it does make you wonder what point there is in pre-ordering an item if there's no guarantee your order's going to be fulfilled. I wonder how they choose which orders to cancel, it'll be first come first served I'd imagine...

As a kick in the teeth to Hattons and presumably other retailers, Hornby are still accepting pre-orders for the same item on their website. So that's where my money's now going, unfortunately for my favourite and previously-local retailer.

Alan

2 minutes ago, jivebunny said:

Alan

Try Derails of Coleford who may be able to assist you.

Dan is totally upfront as to pre-orders and his customer service is second to none.

I tried to order both forthcoming Hornby Dublo Merchant Navy class locomotives with him as soon as they were released. 

He wouldn't take a firm order as Hornby wouldn't commit to an allocation.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

21 minutes ago, jivebunny said:

Alan

If you're after R3956, this set is still available to pre-order at Derails.

I gave up pre-ordering Hornby items from Hattons after they were unable to fulfil pre-orders for the Maunsell pull-push which was a must have model for me as I am modelling the Swanage Railway and I could not get one anywhere.

I pre-ordered R3632 35024 East Asiatic Company from Rails only to receive a note a year later telling me that my pre-order had been cancelled as they were no longer dealing with Hornby so I cannot win.

• Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Just received an email from Hattons saying they are unable to fulfill my preorder of Hornbys Grey Streamlined W1 and one of the Clans. Anyone else had a similar email?

35 minutes ago, JackB95 said:

A few others have had similar by the sounds about other ranges they've preordered... 

Have Hornby and Hattons fallen out?.. 

There has been speculation here on RMWeb that Hattons might oversell their preorders, or otherwise not get the allocation that they were expecting.

I second the suggestion of Derails, and would also add KMRC to that.

Edited by truffy
emphasis
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Probably the not exactly uncommonl Hornby problem - unable to meet all retailer pre-orders so they impose rationing which means that potential end customers (as here) suffer.O I am of course assunming that Hattosn order place with horn ymatched/exceeded the number of pre-orders they had taken from end customers.

Regrettably it is hardly a new occurrence and hattons are not the only retailer who - over the years - have had customers who suffered from Honrby's inability to meet orders.  it would make a lot more sense for Hornby to advise retailers that quantities will be limited when they take the initial orders but maybe they like to have an excess of orders just in case there are any cancellations by retailers. laced by retailers.  

And oddly people wonder why some retailers turned to doing direct commissions with factories (and in at least one case I understand it was largely because Hornby's supplies were unreliable and at the same time they were reducing trade discounts).   Hornby regrettably, and to some extent, has only its past history to blame for what one might regard as more mainstream models being taken on as retailer commissions.  And alas they won't get more of what is now a much more diverse cake of suppliers  if they can't  balance supply and demand.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

There's clearly something going wrong here . I don't know if its Hornby finally confirming orders and they are giving a lower allocation to retailers or if its the retailers overstating their allocation in the first place , but given that the press and retailer preview was before Christmas they really should sort out allocations before offering these for pre-order on the 5th of January . If they cant do it in that time frame then defer announcements until they can finalise quantities .   What's happening is people preordering when there is, in fact, no allocation . Not at all good and of course people lose confidence in the whole system. Big box shifters would be more likely to be affected because thats usually where pre order from 

Of course this isn't the first time . There was the Rocket and Duchess of Atholl last year 

What is annoying , obviously , is having possibly restricted retailers allocations these items are available direct from Hornby .  Doesn't sound like a company supporting its retailers .

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, truffy said:

There has been speculation here on RMWeb that Hattons might oversell their preorders, or otherwise not get the allocation that they were expecting.

Add to that Bure Valley Models of Aylsham.

A big plus with this outlet is that apart from competitive prices you'll be supporting the narrow gauge railway.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, truffy said:

While it doesn't prove anything, I can't help but note how few people seem to get cancellation emails from Derails, Kernow, AC Models, etc, etc. Whenever a rash of cancellations happen, it always seems to be the same two retailers. Whether that is coincidence or not, I avoid buying from both now, just in case.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I posted yesterday on the 4-6 wheel coaches on that thread. As first advertised on Hattons website, they were all due out January/February, so I immediately pre-ordered two NBR ones. The other week I was advised that the 6 wheel brake was ready, so promptly paid up and received it as quickly and as efficiently as ever. There was no word at all however of the 6-wheel compo and when I looked again at the catalogue, estimated delivery dates for all of them had shifted in some cases to December-January. Then this very day I had a notification that the 6-wheel compo is ready to go.

I really can't complain, both pre-ordered items have become available at the predicted time, but it really does look as though  there are problems with stock coming in from Hornby.

Clan cancelled, order shifted to Kernow . Am now concerned for my other 2021 pre orders

EDIT: have now shifted my orders for 2007, the Bristol peckett and the NCB brake van to Kernow. My W1 is still with Hattons - I hope that there isn’t another revision 

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1