Preorder email

Hilux5972

It’s a shame - there is no actual evidence that anything here is the fault of Hattons, but if it affects me getti by my model trains then I’m afraid that action must be taken.

thats £500 from my wallet not going to Liverpool at a time when I’m sure that they could use it.

as I said, my W1 is on order and has been for many many months without incident, but I shall be most miffed if anything happens 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Edge said:

It’s a shame - there is no actual evidence that anything here is the fault of Hattons, but if it affects me getti by my model trains then I’m afraid that action must be taken.

thats £500 from my wallet not going to Liverpool at a time when I’m sure that they could use it.

as I said, my W1 is on order and has been for many many months without incident, but I shall be most miffed if anything happens 

I love Clans, but I'm taking this as a sign that that £200 can stay in my pocket because I don't actually *need* one.

My A2/3 remains on order with them, and some Genesis coaches. The only other thing I have on pre-order with anyone else is a Precedent with Rails (where I'm hoping, perhaps foolishly, that being the 'manufacturer' I stand a decent chance of getting it...).

But not impressed. I don't know why really, given it's not the first time, but something's wrong somewhere isn't it? 

Edited by Helmdon
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

I've ditched the rest of my pre-orders from Hattons too - there was only 2007 and 60026 left anyway. Put pre-orders in with other retailers instead. 

I've only ever had cancellations from Rails and Hattons - the only stuff I order from Rails now are their own limited editions / exclusives - I'll be doing the same with Hattons from now on as it's happened too many times.

Looking back, my last successful pre-order from Hattons was in 2013, that being 4489 Dominion of Canada - another model which had major allocation issues. 

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Is it possible that Hornby are applying some sort of algorithm to stop large retailers taking up too much of the pre-orders and placing a ceiling on them?

Might explain why Hattons is unable to supply everything ordered but you can still go to other retailers and pre-order.

It also may be that the ceiling isn't finalised to Hattons until late on in the process when perhaps Hornby audit numbers against production slots.

Or simply Hattons over order and wait to see where Hornby cut them off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

This seems to be getting far too common with Hornby preorders and is generally assumed to be the main reason Rails stopped dealing with them.

Unfortunately us mere mortals will never actually find out the whole truth of the matter but its fairly likely there is only two valid options:

1) Hattons assumed they were getting X amount of stock and sold on that basis only for Hornby to now confirm they are getting Y amount

2) Hattons were told they were getting X amount and sold on that number only to be told, sorry you are getting Y amount instead.

Oddly enough either Hornby's own website will still have stock....

If it is Hornby's fault then it is a very curious way to be doing business for a company having cash flow issues over the past few years.

For want of being shot down by admin again, I do find the automatic Hornby bashing quite interesting when funnily enough, no one seems to be mentioning Hornby pre-orders being cancelled by any other retailer.

Edited by robf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

2 minutes ago, Kaput said:

This seems to be getting far too common with Hornby preorders and is generally assumed to be the main reason Rails stopped dealing with them.

Unfortunately us mere mortals will never actually find out the whole truth of the matter but its fairly likely there is only two valid options:

1) Hattons assumed they were getting X amount of stock and sold on that basis only for Hornby to now confirm they are getting Y amount

2) Hattons were told they were getting X amount and sold on that number only to be told, sorry you are getting Y amount instead.

Oddly enough either Hornby's own website will still have stock....

If it is Hornby's fault then it is a very curious way to be doing business for a company having cash flow issues over the past few years.

Hatton's do not allow a pre-oder to be placed once the allocated stock has been ordered as shown below. I'm not sure what you mean by 'assumed'.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/513737/hornby_r3898tts_class_08_3817_in_br_blue_tts_sound_fitted_sold_out_on_pre_order/stockdetail.aspx

3 minutes ago, robf said:

For want of being shot down by admin again, I do find the automatic Hornby bashing quite interesting when funnily enough, no one seems to be mentioning Hornby pre-orders being cancelled by any other retailer.

Are you suggesting bashing the retailers too?

• RMweb Gold

What I mean is for example if Hattons assume they are getting 100 of those and take 100 preorders only to then be told once things are confirmed by Hornby that in fact they are only getting 80 they have a problem.

The question (and one nobody will ever officially answer) is which party is responsible because its just as possible that during the launch/reveal stuff Hornby said you are getting 110 of these only to say 6 months later you are in fact only getting 90 after Hattons has taken orders based on the previous number.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

Either way they need to start sorting themselves out or Hattons will be next.

I'd be extremely surprised if Hatton's stopped dealing with Hornby simply because after them losing Bachmann they'd have no major manufacturer left. The next biggest ones are really Heljan and Dapol and compared with Hornby and Bachmann they are fairly tiny.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Kaput said:

I'd be extremely surprised if Hatton's stopped dealing with Hornby simply because after them losing Bachmann they'd have no major manufacturer left. The next biggest ones are really Heljan and Dapol and compared with Hornby and Bachmann they are fairly tiny.

Hatton's 'lost' Bachmann? 

• Funny 1

9 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Had my Clan cancelled too.

Will probably buy another Manor instead now rather than get a Clan

That is indeed my plan.

Accurascale who are now doing steam locomotives will now get the lion's share of my yearly spend.

The Dapol Manor is also looking good.

One of each I think.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

i noticed in early Jan Hattons were accepting unlimited orders on some of the 2021 range.

Sadly I called this on Jan 12th, and @Steamport Southport called bs on me.

its here...

And verified here

whether that was by accident or design, I do not know.

it could be they were just soaking up as much demand as they could, in absence of a known total or to stress competitors demand and hence grab a better final total share for themselves, or simply they just didnt put an upper limit to orders by mistake... I dont know..

But ..

Today is obviously the tidy up, and now the scramble starts.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

55 minutes ago, SteamingWales said:

Had my Clan cancelled too.

Will probably buy another Manor instead now rather than get a Clan

Funnily enough I’ve just used some of the Clan-cancellation-saving on a second hand County 4-6-0 (from Hattons)

given I model the Northants GC, and it was County of Northants, it seemed like a sign....

Edited by Helmdon
  • Like 2

I'll say this, as I had asked Hattons about this (thankfully I didn't order from them this year). They said some items they are only receiving 29% of what they ordered from Hornby, but would not go in detail. That's all I know, don't ask me anything else.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

i noticed in early Jan Hattons were accepting unlimited orders on some of the 2021 range.

Sadly I called this on Jan 12th, and @Steamport Southport called bs on me.

its here...

And verified here

whether that was by accident or design, I do not know.

it could be they were just soaking up as much demand as they could, in absence of a known total or to stress competitors demand and hence grab a better final total share for themselves, or simply they just didnt put an upper limit to orders by mistake... I dont know..

But ..

Today is obviously the tidy up, and now the scramble starts.

I called BS on you being able to add more than a certain amount of items to your basket and then pay for them.

You were making out that you could add 500 to your basket by showing a screenshot of items in your basket. You can, until you need to pay for it. It gets refused when you go to the next page.

Somehow I doubt you tried that.

I wasn't commenting on whether Hattons would fulfil orders or not. That is irrelevant to me.

But I fail to see why I'm being dragged into this conversation....