Preorder email

Hilux5972

I've been carefully re-reading posts from @AY Mod and @Phil Parker looking between the lines.

I've come to the startling conclusion that the reason for the cuts is because production slots have been set aside for a return of this:

image.png.0f266818e28b9dfc771e4d11eae81335.png

They have all the bits - scenics, battlespace, a class 31 and Mk2s - they just need to put them in the right order as Andy states.

• Like 4
  • Funny 6

• Administrators
3 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I've been carefully re-reading posts from @AY Mod and @Phil Parker looking between the lines.

I've come to the startling conclusion that the reason for the cuts is because production slots have been set aside for a return of this:

They have all the bits - scenics, battlespace, a class 31 and Mk2s - they just need to put them in the right order as Andy states.

If you are right, I'm happy and will be preording right now! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I accept Paypal, full deposits now being taken.

If Simon Kohler pre-orders a set from you, wait a few weeks then tell him it's been cancelled!

:wink_mini:

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Trying to take over the world by parking a vehicle on a level crossing in front of a Class 31? Last time that happened it didn't end well. I even have proof (copyright BBC)!!

DrX.JPG.57e407fb25765d855c039ad1e8f42e46.JPG

• Like 2

For a period of time I was a Hornby shareholder and I don't think that the financial figures identified which items contributed what to the overall figures.  Nor would they sensibly admit to making x% profit on Hornby, y% corgi, z% Airfix etc...  Most declare a figure before tax which is standard practice.

Investment companies used to buy a single share in each company listed on the Stock Exchange so that they could assess the reports before deciding to purchase large quantity of shares.  Because of the figures you will find that the likes of Hornby have fewer major corporate investors than say Tesco.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AMJ said:

For a period of time I was a Hornby shareholder and I don't think that the financial figures identified which items contributed what to the overall figures.  Nor would they sensibly admit to making x% profit on Hornby, y% corgi, z% Airfix etc...  Most declare a figure before tax which is standard practice.

Investment companies used to buy a single share in each company listed on the Stock Exchange so that they could assess the reports before deciding to purchase large quantity of shares.  Because of the figures you will find that the likes of Hornby have fewer major corporate investors than say Tesco.

But there are people who do know. It was common knowledge at work for salespersons to push certain accessories, as these had a much bigger margin and certain product groups traditionally also had better margins for all manner of historical reasons. The opposition must know the true story so I am rather surprised that the figures have not been leaked. Or are they regarded as being of little general interest?

Bernard

• Administrators
20 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

If we're going down the path of providing evidence for every thing we see and hear, many of these threads will dry up quickly. 

I'm quite sure GWR-fan is not the only contributer to have reported a rumour, 'my sources say', 'word has it that'?  

So you are suggesting that people should be allowed to make stuff up and then claim these as facts?

Quite frankly, if some of the threads based on fantasy "facts" dried up, this would be a good thing and wibble could be replaced by more modelling to the benefit of the forum. It would also save the mods having to chase around to find some actual hard facts to bring to the discussion.

Put yourself in any manufacturers position - there is the biggest model railway forum full of people making up falsehoods about your firm, which are then commented on and exaggerated by other members of the forum. How would that make you feel? I know some will say, "They should come on here and correct us" but that assumes they wish to dedicate staff members to sitting on said forum 24 hours day commenting on stuff that's only been posted for sport. Those staff members would have to be paid, pushing the price of the trains up, leading to more postings about the price rises which will need more staff to firefight, leading to more price rises...

To pick up another "fact" from here. Amazon do buy in stuff and sell it themselves. I'm told that they first bought stock from Hornby to re-sell in 2008, to sell at full RRP unless the product wasn't moving. That's an American thing apparently.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Ive noticed a concurrent theme in the last two pages of 31’s and crash scenes.

Are we being fed a subliminal message on how to up cycle some of those mazak rot old 31’s ?

Or is it 31’s are the Model Railway equivalent of Top Gears piano crashing Marina’s ?

Recreating the Cricklewood bridge prang wouldn't be too hard from some of what I saw on ebay.

31’s need loving too you know.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

On 10/05/2021 at 17:58, caradoc said:

You are very fortunate ! Like Legend I live near Glasgow, a very large city, yet my nearest model shops are in Edinburgh and Carlisle, both around two hours away (and one is in another country !) So, along with Covid knocking exhibitions on the head, mail order is my normal route these days. 

Like Legend and caradoc I'm sure, in the Glasgow area, it's down to the annual visit of Model Rail Scotland if you want to buy things direct in person. So it was doubly hard as it has been cancelled and the venue used as a hospital. Hopefully back with vengeance next year.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 17/05/2021 at 08:15, Phil Parker said:

Quite frankly, if some of the threads based on fantasy "facts" dried up, this would be a good thing and wibble could be replaced by more modelling to the benefit of the forum. It would also save the mods having to chase around to find some actual hard facts to bring to the discussion.

^^^ this

As with "mvwilson" I too have had a whole swathe of Hornby orders at Hattons cancelled  -  I assume that this is Hornby's responsibility.

I will try ordering from a more local retailer.

This whole problem is giving Hornby a bad reputation.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Similar to the above,

Just had my preorders for the following cancelled by Hattons:

R3985 Class P2 2-8-2 2003 "Lord President" with streamlined nose in LNER green - 2021 new tooling
R3984 Class P2 2-8-2 2002 "Earl Marischal" (original bodystyle) in LNER green - Era 3. 2021 new tooling
R3981 Standard Class 2MT 2-6-0 78054 in BR black with late crest
R3983 Class P2 2-8-2 2007 "Prince of Wales" in LNER green

By my reckoning that's 8 I've lost this year so far.

• Friendly/supportive 3

I have nothing personal against Hattons but I do find some of the comments re Hattons vs direct sales by Hornby a bit disingenuous. Hattons are fundamentally an internet-based box shifter. I used to visit their shop on Smithdown Road when I was in Liverpool but nowadays I am not permitted as a pedestrian to call on them. Since Rails stopped selling Hornby I do wonder what proportion of Hornby mail order business Hattons would hoover up if their supply wasn't limited?

Out of curiosity, is anyone willing to share why they originally chose Hattons for a pre-order rather than another model shop?

• Like 2