Preorder email

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

I have nothing personal against Hattons but I do find some of the comments re Hattons vs direct sales by Hornby a bit disingenuous. Hattons are fundamentally an internet-based box shifter. I used to visit their shop on Smithdown Road when I was in Liverpool but nowadays I am not permitted as a pedestrian to call on them. Since Rails stopped selling Hornby I do wonder what proportion of Hornby mail order business Hattons would hoover up if their supply wasn't limited?

Out of curiosity, is anyone willing to share why they originally chose Hattons for a pre-order rather than another model shop?

Good price (not RRP which is why never order direct from Hornby)

Dealing with them for 40 years

Always reliable ..............until now - but thats  only Hornby stuff 

Oh and as I've said I dont have a local model shop, there are none of any size in Glasgow , the nearest is Edinburgh , so essentially most of my recent business is with Rails (not Hornby obviously - did they see something coming?) or Hattons 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Me to. All my remaining Hornby orders now cancelled, all from the 2021 catalogue, including mundane items such as maroon Mk1 RB and BCK,  and Maunsell BR open third, which are hardly likely to be sold out early. Cleary there is a major issue between this supplier and Hornby. All of my seven were still available to order from Kernow  who had already received my 2020 catalogue cancellations by Hattons.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Out of curiosity, is anyone willing to share why they originally chose Hattons for a pre-order rather than another model shop?

I fancied trying the 'trunk' option to combine postage on items coming in at different times. It's a good idea, but it only works if the actual orders are honoured and can accumulate!

All my various liveried Mk.4 coaches have just been cancelled, so I'm off to order some of them elsewhere... I'll pass on re-ordering the A2/2 Earl Marischal elsewhere though - I don't need it, and several other things have been announced since then. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Looking at the Hattons website right now shows no sign of any 'New' Hornby items (Including those that were on there as sold out on pre-order) so I would assume Hattons are no longer Hornby stockists then given the rather wide ranging cancellations mentioned above?

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

---- snipped ---

For the specific items I had on pre-order via them my local model shop won't be stocking them; Rails don't do Hornby so I ordered from Hattons who I'd had previous items from. The item from Oxford probably due to inertia as much as anything. They have now dropped down my choices list below Kernow, Monk Bar & Rails (previous/recent satisfactory dealings) and the current trial of TMC as posted above. All subject to the item being available to order which of course excludes Rails for some items.

Also lost my only remaining Hornby pre-order at Hattons, the 2021 'Merry Christmas' wagon. (Requested by the Mrs, rather than for my own collection).

I too regularly use the Trunk system, so that I can build up enough for free shipping. It's a great way to add on all those 'bits and pieces' that aren't worth shipping individually at £4 a time, plus pre-owned stuff which you tend to have to leap on quickly if it's a rare item. Hattons have probably got a lot more money out of me as a result.

If any other retailers were able to introduce a similar system, it would be very welcome, but I appreciate it may not be as easy in a more traditional shop, rather than a warehouse-like operation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, RJennings said:

Looking at the Hattons website right now shows no sign of any 'New' Hornby items (Including those that were on there as sold out on pre-order) so I would assume Hattons are no longer Hornby stockists then given the rather wide ranging cancellations mentioned above?

It's also been a while since they posted any Hornby content on their Facebook page.

Edit: Where has the other thread gone?

Edited by Free At Last

Yup...my entire Hornby/Corgi pre-orders cancelled. My only conclusion is that Hornby have stopped supplying them. As people have mentioned some of the items ordered are from the obscurer end of things so unlikely to sell out so can only assume the total amount of items Hattons are receiving are 0!

• Friendly/supportive 1

45 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Yep also the entirety of my Hornby orders with hattons cancelled, something going on ,have hattons now lost Hornby as well as Bachmann? 
mark

Yes, my last ones went this afternoon as well - cancelled by Hattons. All were placed as soon as the respective models were announced.

Thankfully, I appear to have managed to place all 3 elsewhere.

Given it's an issue that only appears to be affecting Hatton's, at least to this degree of severity, I would be absolutely amazed if any new orders for Hornby get placed with them. It's just asking to be let down.

I agree with what at least one other has said - something's going on between Hattons and Hornby - and out of respect for their customers we should be given at least a basic outline of what that is.

Edited by WisTramwayMan
Poor grammar
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rubber duck said:

Yep, just had the dreaded e mail,  seems the only guarantee is to order from Hornby direct.......

Other retailers are available…

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, phil gollin said:

This whole problem is giving Hornby a bad reputation.

I agree - I feel this reflects far more and very badly on Hornby, rather than on Hattons who have continued to give excellent service throughout.

I have no intention of ordering from Hornby direct; in my view they should stick to manufacturing and be sure they get that right and not try to take on the customer base of retailers who have supported them through bad times as well as good.

I feel this is an error of judgment on Hornby's part.

• Agree 8

• Moderators

Any cancellation of pre-orders doesn't appear to be due to any overselling by Hattons, I've spoken to Hattons before and they've clarified that they do not pre-sell over the quantities they have on order. 

This is evidently down to non-delivery of orders placed with the supplier. 

• Informative/Useful 13

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Any cancellation of pre-orders doesn't appear to be due to any overselling by Hattons, I've spoken to Hattons before and they've clarified that they do not pre-sell over the quantities they have on order. 

This is evidently down to non-delivery of orders placed with the supplier. 

Can you get a quote, or statement, from Hornby ?    Not so much about their contractual arrangements with Hattons, but more will they be able to fulfil all their orders with other retailers (including the "overflow" from the cancelled Hattons' orders) ?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

When I messaged Hattons customer service to say I was surprised at the complete cancellation of all orders, they replied apologising and saying they are still a Hornby stockist and still have a contract with them.

• Agree 1

Just look at there future releases on there website regarding Hornby. All there 2021 and what’s left of 2020 have  gone. That tells me that they have had enough of being messed around by Hornby. Also something to do with the genesis coaches direct competition. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Other retailers are available…

Some of whom are also suffering from Hornby cuts, as reported in this topic. Are there any that aren't affected by this?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I personally do it because it is a good price and also fairly cheap shipping to New Zealand. Now I have ordered the W1 direct from Hornby because I don’t want to miss out on it. Looks I may well have to do that with 2007 and 92220 as well. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Nile said:

Some of whom are also suffering from Hornby cuts, as reported in this topic. Are there any that aren't affected by this?

I certainly know of at least one that will be honouring it’s pre-orders… 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

I personally do it because it is a good price and also fairly cheap shipping to New Zealand. Now I have ordered the W1 direct from Hornby because I don’t want to miss out on it. Looks I may well have to do that with 2007 and 92220 as well. 

And that’s exactly what Hornby want . No reflection on you , if it was a model I absolutely wanted I’d have to order it direct too .  But I think it’s absolutely deplorable that Hornby can accept an order from a major retailer then simply not supply , assuming the account is in good order. I will have to buy Hornby at some stage , so I’m not going to cut my nose off the spite my face and say I’ll never buy again., but I’ll only order Hornby through a retailer , hopefully at a discount.  I’d rather not deal with an organisation that treats the obligation through accepting orders in such a Cavalier fashion .   If they were going to change basis of supply then this should have been thought out by the 5th January not 5 months into the year.

And as for other retailers , some others have been affected, but Even those who are saying they are not , how can you confidently predict what will happen next year , when presumably the volume that was in Rails (up to 2020) and Hattons moves elsewhere . How do you know you won’t be next ? It seems placing orders with Hornby is no guarantee they will be honoured. 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

Well I have quite a few pre-ordered models with a retailer. If any get cancelled because of Hornby not supplying, that will be the end of any future purchases of their products, it is not critical for me. 

Whatever some say on this forum it is obvious Hornby are trying to bypass the retailers by selling direct. This will affect model shops badly and eventually reduce the amount of advertising in the Model Railway press. Bearing this in mind I am surprised that not one of the major publications has queried with Hornby what they are playing at.

• Like 2