Preorder email

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I await a response from Hornby to my email cancelling my pre-orders with them. I didn't hold back with letting them know my level of discontent and, politely, told them that they were out of order.

It will make no difference, but my principles are important to me. 

Now, who can make a new Class 31 and 56?

Roy

Dont expect anything different to this...

Hi John 

I have cancelled the bellow orders as you requested. 

Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.  

Kind Regards,

Gillie Back

Sales and Customer Service Team Leader

about 7 locos and 12 coaches there binned without any care.

• Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Wolf27 said:

All those who are stating they will not buy from Hornby again are just sh*tting in your own nest. What are you going to do when Hornby announce something that you have been wanting for years? Do you want Hornby to fold and disappear? Perhaps stop your reliance on places like Hattons and look elsewhere.

I think Hornby needs us more than we need it.

Plenty of other manufacturers and not all of us are reliant on RTR.

Jason

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

All those who are stating they will not buy from Hornby again are just sh*tting in your own nest. What are you going to do when Hornby announce something that you have been wanting for years? Do you want Hornby to fold and disappear? Perhaps stop your reliance on places like Hattons and look elsewhere.

I will go without, and I told Hornby that. I am well aware that I may not get what I want now, but I am sorry, Hornby have treated customers badly and I will make my one person stand. Until companies feel the pain of bad decisions they will just keep making them. Hornby shafted retailers before, had financial issues, are trying to come through that and decide that shafting more retailers and the cutomer is the way to do it. Utter nonsense.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 6

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

To be fair, what do you expect a Customer Service person to do? Storm the boardroom and demand a policy change on the back of a cancelled order?

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Hornby have had many opportunities over the last 25 years to make hay from its International brands.

It has completely failed to achieve in this respect. A complete b****rs' muddle.

I might add that if I were one of the Hornby bean-counters, I would be taking a serious look at this. With so little generated by sales on International (despite having great brands like Rivarossi and Arnold), I would be looking to sell off these brands and tooling to someone else. No point in having valuable assets if they are not earning. It could go a good way to meeting the debt obligations.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

To be fair, what do you expect a Customer Service person to do? Storm the boardroom and demand a policy change on the back of a cancelled order?

Probably not Phil, but given John is not the only person who has cancelled giving this situation as a reason, it may be wise for somebody in a position to do so to draft a "company response" to be used.

Roy

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, Roy Langridge said:

Probably not Phil, but given John is not the only person who has cancelled giving this situation as a reason, it may be wise for somebody in a position to do so to draft a "company response" to be used.

Roy

Which, as @AY Modhas said, we have asked for.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jonnyuk said:

why? Hornby have their policies with the retailer, have their tier system, they will have a list of stockists (maybe that needs updating), if you want something call a retailer, if they don't have it, move onto the next retailer

And what are you planning to do when there are no more retailers?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I didn't know that Hornby made bellows.

If I might offer advice to Ms Back: Start looking for another job. Not because you can't spell but because you don't understand what "customer service" is about.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I might add that if I were one of the Hornby bean-counters, I would be taking a serious look at this. With so little generated by sales on International (despite having great brands like Rivarossi and Arnold), I would be looking to sell off these brands and tooling to someone else. No point in having valuable assets if they are not earning. It could go a good way to meeting the debt obligations.

two things on this:

1. What debt? It seems to have all been wiped out through share issue last year 

2. There’s about £4.6 million at risk on the balance sheet in respect of goodwill if they got rid of them... 

https://wp-Hornby-2020.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/media/2020/11/12114059/Hornby-interim-report-Sept-2020.pdf

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Call it "shitting in your own nest" if you like. I have some self-respect and would much rather miss out on a model than support the abuse by Hornby towards retailers*.  To paraphrase Don Howe when Arsenal treated him so badly: " I don't need anybody's model that badly".

* Declared interest: I am an ex-model railway retailer.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

It depends whether or not Hornby are likely to make anything  (as new toolings) that I want.  But look at it this way - i've done without it, or got there via another route, up to now and if one of my 'local' retailers can't get it for me (which could be unlikely - both have town centre shops) then I won't bother because it will be clear that Hornby have no wish to sell whatever it to me.  

That choice will have been made by Hornby - not by me - in just the same way that they might have chosen to order fewer models from the factory than they sell to retailers.  The choice lies entirely with Hornby and another r-t-r manufacturer/commissioner or South Eastern Finecast will no doubt be more than happy that they will get my money instead of it going to Hornby (or it would be spent on something else entirely.

As for a statement coming from Hornby it would be very interesting to see what they have to say but above all they need to make clear whether they did or did or did not accept more orders from retailers for various models than the quantity of those models they had ordered from the factories.  This whole business stems from inability to supply the volume of product hat had been ordered by retailers - beyond that it is really only  managing how the suffering of 'allocation' is spread around.   And when you think about it having a policy to deal with 'allocation' isn't such a bad idea if that is what you are going to have to do. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

May be do some Customer Service? Which for any competent organisation is a two way process. Simply allowing customers to cancel decent sized orders without any feedback process, attempt to get them to change their mind (not like Sky obvs), offer encouragement to re-order?

No upsell, no effort to keep the customer or keep the order (and I'm not talking about hard sell), no attempt to get feedback or if that had been provided promise to pass it on? Nothing to turn a negative interaction into a positive? That is a fundamental issue for Hornby across the board, they have little idea about customer service from sales to spares to the website.

As I said, saving for the next fire sale.

Edited by ruggedpeak
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Clearly some do.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Probably not, Phil. And yet what is the point of having "customer service" people if they do not feed back to the decision makers. They might do it, even if only to have some confidence in their long-time employment prospects.

Plenty of companies suffer from this phenomenon of not enough communication between the "troops on the ground" and the High Command. The boardroom is a "bubble".

Personally, I have always escalated negative feedback to my managers, whether they wanted it or not. To be honest, didn't do a lot for my career. Too many Peter Principle managers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, amwells said:

two things on this:

1. What debt? It seems to have all been wiped out through share issue last year 

2. There’s about £4.6 million at risk on the balance sheet in respect of goodwill if they got rid of them... 

https://wp-Hornby-2020.s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/media/2020/11/12114059/Hornby-interim-report-Sept-2020.pdf

That's very interesting and I should probably have clicked on the "thought provoking button".

I think that a well-organised break-up sale (oh look a flying pig!) could well generate in excess of £4.6 million.  There's a lot of good tooling there.

2 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Other retailers also happily ship overseas...

Yes but I recently ordered from Kernow, VAT deducted,  but postage option now only with DPD at £12.00 with no Royal mail option like there used to be.  With DPD I had to pay VAT @ 23%  handling charge of €5.00 + VAT.   If items were in stock at Hatton's postage would have been about £5.00 with all VAT etc paid.  (Could Kernow look into how they ship overseas? )   

Back on Topic,  We are quite often reminded about using or loosing our 'local' model shops.   This new arrangement by Hornby does not sound good at all.  I personally not a fan of pre-ordering, but with the limited batch production done these days it is looking like to be the only option.   I do hope that this does not have a drastic effect on model shops for when we can eventually get out and about again to have a browse and an 'impulse purchase'.   :)

• Agree 3

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Probably not, Phil. And yet what is the point of having "customer service" people if they do not feed back to the decision makers. They might do it, even if only to have some confidence in their long-time employment prospects.

Plenty of companies suffer from this phenomenon of not enough communication between the "troops on the ground" and the High Command. The boardroom is a "bubble".

Personally, I have always escalated negative feedback to my managers, whether they wanted it or not. To be honest, didn't do a lot for my career. Too many Peter Principle managers.

How do you know nothing has been fed back to the decision makers?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Phil Parker said:

How do you know nothing has been fed back to the decision makers?

I know you are trying to get a statement and we do appreciate your efforts, but given the wall of silence from Hornby so far, it is easy to assume the worst...

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I know you are trying to get a statement and we do appreciate your efforts, but given the wall of silence from Hornby so far, it is easy to assume the worst...

Roy

What I asked, is how anyone knew the much maligned Customer Service advisor hadn't fed back. @Joseph_Pestell seemed certain that they hadn't.

5 hours ago, Downer said:

One could make a killing selling Tier One tee-shirts to the lucky proprietors.

More seriously, the overall lack of transparency at work here is an insult to the consumer.

Transparency at work ??  Are you saying this business with the retailers is a wet tee-shirt competition?