So just got perspective, do you preorder from:

Accurascale

Revolution

SLW

Realtrack

Cavalex

Planet Industrials

KR Models

If so, why is placing an order directly with Hornby any different?

(I happily buy direct from the top 6, no7 isn’t yet doing anything I need). I have also bought trains from Hornby and Amazon. I also buy from my preferred small model shop in NE Manchester.

Not all new entrants have wide spread retail support. Many prefer direct sales only (and certainly whilst they establish a foothold). If we are to blacklist Hornby then are we expected to Blacklist all these too?

I have not ordered from any of them except Revolution. That was an order purely to support them in the new venture and get the product over the line rather than anything that I "needed".

All great products. I admire all of them hugely for what they have managed to produce but not want I want.

I think (ex-retailer hat on) that their business model is absolutely fine. Any manufacturer should be allowed to pick the business model that will work for them and their clients.

But Hornby are following a confused business model where they want to have their cake and eat it.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, scumcat said:

I agree this can work, but Hattons’s premises are no better than screwfix’s I took my boy there once he was so disappointed. Is this it ? he said. There was no ambience. They are not in this for the shop customer’s experience they forgot all about that when they left smithdown road.

I rather like Screwfix (although I am currently in dispute with their owners over an unfulfilled order for chipboard flooring). But I agree, a trade-counter style set-up is not right for model railways.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

You might want to avoid 3rd hand information then. I've been a couple of times and there were (it's shut at the moment due to Covid) many cases full of models, both new and second hand. OK, not the same as a shop that has been there for years and has built up a good quantity of "stuff" like Hereford Model Centre, but nothing like the trade-counter setup you describe.

Phil,

I did!

I have seen photos of Hattons current set-up and I agree with you. It is way better than a typical trade counter in terms of what the visitor gets to see. 

• AY Mod locked this topic