Preorder email

It’s a shame - there is no actual evidence that anything here is the fault of Hattons, but if it affects me getti by my model trains then I’m afraid that action must be taken.

thats £500 from my wallet not going to Liverpool at a time when I’m sure that they could use it.

as I said, my W1 is on order and has been for many many months without incident, but I shall be most miffed if anything happens 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Edge said:

It’s a shame - there is no actual evidence that anything here is the fault of Hattons, but if it affects me getti by my model trains then I’m afraid that action must be taken.

thats £500 from my wallet not going to Liverpool at a time when I’m sure that they could use it.

as I said, my W1 is on order and has been for many many months without incident, but I shall be most miffed if anything happens 

I love Clans, but I'm taking this as a sign that that £200 can stay in my pocket because I don't actually *need* one.

My A2/3 remains on order with them, and some Genesis coaches. The only other thing I have on pre-order with anyone else is a Precedent with Rails (where I'm hoping, perhaps foolishly, that being the 'manufacturer' I stand a decent chance of getting it...).

But not impressed. I don't know why really, given it's not the first time, but something's wrong somewhere isn't it? 

Edited by Helmdon
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Just had the cancellation email.
Well that's my Winter Fuel Payment saved. I was only buying the P2 on a whim anyway. I would not purchase from Hornby Direct, not that my decision will affect them.

I've ditched the rest of my pre-orders from Hattons too - there was only 2007 and 60026 left anyway. Put pre-orders in with other retailers instead. 

I've only ever had cancellations from Rails and Hattons - the only stuff I order from Rails now are their own limited editions / exclusives - I'll be doing the same with Hattons from now on as it's happened too many times.

Looking back, my last successful pre-order from Hattons was in 2013, that being 4489 Dominion of Canada - another model which had major allocation issues. 

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I just got the same message, with my preorder of Lord President. I thought "ok Hornby didn't make enough of  them" then I went to the Hornby website and ordered one there, so obviously not a limit on the amount made. Fortunately after not getting my Stephenson's Rocket wagon  from Hattons ( which again I eventually sourced from Hornby direct) I decided to spread my preorders around other Dealers, with the ones I really wanted with Hornby direct (not too many, as they are 10% dearer). So I will wait to see how many turn up during the year.  If this continues Hattons, will not be selling much Hornby. As they say it takes years to gain a reputation, very little time to lose it. I never had Rails cancel any of my Hornby preorders. Of late seeing as the prices are virtually the same for Hornby I tend to buy most of my stuff from Preserved Railways model shops, not only are their prices good, at least I know the profits are going to something useful.

• Like 5

Is it possible that Hornby are applying some sort of algorithm to stop large retailers taking up too much of the pre-orders and placing a ceiling on them?

Might explain why Hattons is unable to supply everything ordered but you can still go to other retailers and pre-order.

It also may be that the ceiling isn't finalised to Hattons until late on in the process when perhaps Hornby audit numbers against production slots.

Or simply Hattons over order and wait to see where Hornby cut them off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The way things are going with Hornby I wouldn’t be surprised if in 5-10 years time the only place you can buy a Hornby model will be directly from their website, at full RRP, hence more profit for the Margate group...

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
1 hour ago, Legend said:

There's clearly something going wrong here . I don't know if its Hornby finally confirming orders and they are giving a lower allocation to retailers or if its the retailers overstating their allocation in the first place , but given that the press and retailer preview was before Christmas they really should sort out allocations before offering these for pre-order on the 5th of January . If they cant do it in that time frame then defer announcements until they can finalise quantities .   What's happening is people preordering when there is, in fact, no allocation . Not at all good and of course people lose confidence in the whole system. Big box shifters would be more likely to be affected because thats usually where pre order from 

Of course this isn't the first time . There was the Rocket and Duchess of Atholl last year 

What is annoying , obviously , is having possibly restricted retailers allocations these items are available direct from Hornby .  Doesn't sound like a company supporting its retailers .

I hate to say it and people are going to moan at me for this, but basically Hornby are a Toy Company and of late it appears that is how they seem to run it. I have said before in this day and age of the Internet and computers they know how many items they will supply and consequently should limit Dealer Preoders to that amount. With my Lord President I must have ordered that at least 3 months ago if not longer. It is like their catalogue, a lot of it is "nice to haves", but half the time never making the item or producing them 2 years later. Then you have their spares, there is no consistency with those if you can get them, sometimes gears come with axles sometimes not, sometimes bogies come with pickups, sometimes they don't and then or course there is no separate part number for the missing part even if you did want to buy it separate. Generally with spare parts you source the bits that are most likely to break (I worked in automotive for years), not Hornby they don't ever source pickups as spares. The only time they seem to get their butt into gear is when someone in Rails or Hattons makes a wagon or loco, where in spite, I am sure they pull out all the stops to beat them to copying it. It you want an example of their company see how long it has taken them to get their website to work properly, the forums still don't work and don't give that old adage it is difficult, not if it is your job on a full time basis ( I used to work in Software engineering).

• Like 2
Just now, APT Fan said:

Are Hornby any worse than their competitors?

I don't know, all my preorders from Bachmann and Dapol seem to arrive. When I worked in automotive I could never figure out how our company could make a profit until a colleague said that we were probably better than the rest, which in time i gathered was true. Trouble is eventually one of your competitors gets their act together and then it is game over. If you could go back to the 60's and 70's ask the owners of the British Motorcycle Industry about that. After buying the latest Dapol Mogul loco, I get the opinion that with DCC they are going forward into the next phase, similarly I have also just purchased a Bachmann Johnson 2p  Loco, same story. 

• Like 1
  • RMweb Gold

This seems to be getting far too common with Hornby preorders and is generally assumed to be the main reason Rails stopped dealing with them.

Unfortunately us mere mortals will never actually find out the whole truth of the matter but its fairly likely there is only two valid options:

1) Hattons assumed they were getting X amount of stock and sold on that basis only for Hornby to now confirm they are getting Y amount

2) Hattons were told they were getting X amount and sold on that number only to be told, sorry you are getting Y amount instead.

Oddly enough either Hornby's own website will still have stock....

If it is Hornby's fault then it is a very curious way to be doing business for a company having cash flow issues over the past few years.

For want of being shot down by admin again, I do find the automatic Hornby bashing quite interesting when funnily enough, no one seems to be mentioning Hornby pre-orders being cancelled by any other retailer.

Edited by robf
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
2 minutes ago, Kaput said:

This seems to be getting far too common with Hornby preorders and is generally assumed to be the main reason Rails stopped dealing with them.

Unfortunately us mere mortals will never actually find out the whole truth of the matter but its fairly likely there is only two valid options:

1) Hattons assumed they were getting X amount of stock and sold on that basis only for Hornby to now confirm they are getting Y amount

2) Hattons were told they were getting X amount and sold on that number only to be told, sorry you are getting Y amount instead.

If it is Hornby's fault then it is a very curious way to be doing business for a company having cash flow issues over the past few years.

Hatton's do not allow a pre-oder to be placed once the allocated stock has been ordered as shown below. I'm not sure what you mean by 'assumed'.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/513737/hornby_r3898tts_class_08_3817_in_br_blue_tts_sound_fitted_sold_out_on_pre_order/stockdetail.aspx

6 minutes ago, Kaput said:

I did wonder if that was why Rails stopped dealing with them, as you say we will probably never know. Having read a few articles in the press I think Hornby's issue is that they don't have control of their production. I read that they sub contract it, so perhaps they ask for a quantity but the quote they get back for making them is only for a number much less. Either way they need to start sorting themselves out or Hattons will be next.

3 minutes ago, robf said:

For want of being shot down by admin again, I do find the automatic Hornby bashing quite interesting when funnily enough, no one seems to be mentioning Hornby pre-orders being cancelled by any other retailer.

Are you suggesting bashing the retailers too?

• RMweb Gold

What I mean is for example if Hattons assume they are getting 100 of those and take 100 preorders only to then be told once things are confirmed by Hornby that in fact they are only getting 80 they have a problem.

The question (and one nobody will ever officially answer) is which party is responsible because its just as possible that during the launch/reveal stuff Hornby said you are getting 110 of these only to say 6 months later you are in fact only getting 90 after Hattons has taken orders based on the previous number.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
4 minutes ago, robf said:

There were many mentions of it on the Hornby Forum, probably Hattons get it the most as they probably have the most preorders.

• RMweb Gold

Either way they need to start sorting themselves out or Hattons will be next.

I'd be extremely surprised if Hatton's stopped dealing with Hornby simply because after them losing Bachmann they'd have no major manufacturer left. The next biggest ones are really Heljan and Dapol and compared with Hornby and Bachmann they are fairly tiny.

• Agree 2
1 minute ago, Kaput said:

What I mean is for example if Hattons assume they are getting 100 of those and take 100 preorders only to then be told once things are confirmed by Hornby that in fact they are only getting 80 they have a problem.

The question (and one nobody will ever officially answer) is which party is responsible because its just as possible that during the launch/reveal stuff Hornby said you are getting 110 of these only to say 6 months later you are in fact only getting 90 after Hattons has taken orders based on the previous number.

I suspect it is when they get the quote back from their production sub contractor in China. I read a few months ago that they were in competition with other manufacturers for production resource, so perhaps that is the issue.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kaput said:

I'd be extremely surprised if Hatton's stopped dealing with Hornby simply because after them losing Bachmann they'd have no major manufacturer left. The next biggest ones are really Heljan and Dapol and compared with Hornby and Bachmann they are fairly tiny.

If this keeps going on nobody is going to do any preorders with Hattons, so it will happen without them doing anything.

• Agree 3
4 minutes ago, Kaput said:

Hatton's 'lost' Bachmann? 

• Funny 1