Preorder email

Hilux5972

5 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

"Familiar with or experience of working with other retail channels. E.g. eBay / Amazon"

So a potential further widening of the online direct sales through other channels....

Hornby already sell via Amazon. I bought a bargain priced T9 the other week.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Hornby/page/42AC0C70-1D10-41C5-99F4-64CEA8B4928A?ref_=ast_bln

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, Markwj said:

I find it curious that Kernow’s adverts state to order with confidence from the indicating they have confidence their order will be fulfilled. And yes the ad I saw was Hornby products.

I've never had a problem with a Kernow pre-order. They are a significant retailer but don't seek to be the cheapest for everything - reliability has a value!

• Agree 6

22 hours ago, House MD said:

For anyone that had there Hornby preorders from hattons cancelled, jadlam racing still has some allocations on there site at a slightly lower price than Hornby direct. The only downside is you have to pay immediately. Hope this helps :) 

Just had a look . They are sold out of the 7 car set . Looks like they have the 5 car set.

John

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I've never had a problem with a Kernow pre-order. They are a significant retailer but don't seek to be the cheapest for everything - reliability has a value!

I would be happy to pay RRP as I am not sure discounting is necessarily doing society overall, not just our hobby,  any favours due to the negative impact on small retailers but Hornby don't fit extras.

What is TMC's reputation like for past cancellations? I have used Kernow in the past (but not on pre-orders) and found them good but they are not listing the particular variant I want to order, whereas TMC are and do DCC fitting.

I have a pre-order already with TMC for their G5 but as the model isn't out yet no personal track record with them regarding actual deliveries.

10 minutes ago, john new said:

I would be happy to pay RRP as I am not sure discounting is necessarily doing society overall, not just our hobby,  any favours due to the negative impact on small retailers but Hornby don't fit extras.

What is TMC's reputation like for past cancellations? I have used Kernow in the past (but not on pre-orders) and found them good but they are not listing the particular variant I want to order, whereas TMC are and do DCC fitting.

I have a pre-order already with TMC for their G5 but as the model isn't out yet no personal track record with them regarding actual deliveries.

In my limited experience TMC have been excellent, friendly, patient and logical.  The models I have pre-ordered from them have all been delivered in a timely manner, and they will refund payments made if requested when there are delays to delivery from, say, Hornby..

No connection, just a satisfied customer. 

Edited by robmcg
added words
  • Thanks 1

On 05/05/2021 at 14:19, ruggedpeak said:

From the Hornby website, Pre-order page (link off homepage) with dates for items coming in, see near the top of page you can select the season and get month by month list of what's coming up.

https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/coming-soon?spring=true&page=1

Interesting that Modelcraft items are listed... Do Hornby own Modelcraft or are they perhaps looking to expand as a general online model shop?

ETA: Oh they're a Hornby Collectors Club exclusives... which is a bit of an unusual exclusivity term given Modelcraft products are available from other retailers.

Edited by centraltrains

Personal opinion,  but is buying from the Hornby website giving into corporate "bullying"?   Sure,  you are almost guaranteed a sale but at what expense to the hobby in general?  

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

"Familiar with or experience of working with other retail channels. E.g. eBay / Amazon"

So a potential further widening of the online direct sales through other channels....

Or they are simply creating a post (or filling a vacancy) and looking for someone  with a better range of  knowledge in this field than they currently have within the company?

• RMweb Gold
On 06/05/2021 at 13:29, Trains4U said:

I’m hoping that Hornby might issue a public statement at some point soon.

Surely that would be to the stock market.

I cant see such a statement being trivially made, and if its in stock on their website, some stuff is reaching trade, and margins are good, then where is the problem ?

There is another way of looking at this... managing price.

Weve seen several retailers hiking rrp and stoking price hysteria towards a bubble.

it’s hard for retailers to do that, when its in stock at rrp direct from Hornby..

Case in Point..

There is one retailer who was advertising the dublo 4-6-2’s at £330 in advance.. whilst Hornby still have them at £265 rrp.

It might be hurting retail, but for losing the 10% saving off rrp its protecting consumers and more likely to get supply, admittedly it doesn't help the fair playing retailers, but if this is the case, then competition rules have to be applied equally.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Or they are simply creating a post (or filling a vacancy) and looking for someone  with a better range of  knowledge in this field than they currently have within the company?

That sounds likely to me. I work for a Digital Marketing agency and a number of our clients have been dipping their toes in the direct-to-consumer (DTC) eCommerce market using their own internal teams. In Hornby’s case I know that their new website was built by a digital agency based out of Ascot so it’s interesting to see this role come up now. 

• Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Hornby a year or two ago had quite a few items on eBay at full retail price.   I cannot recall their eBay name.

7 hours ago, MrTea said:

That sounds likely to me. I work for a Digital Marketing agency and a number of our clients have been dipping their toes in the direct-to-consumer (DTC) eCommerce market using their own internal teams. In Hornby’s case I know that their new website was built by a digital agency based out of Ascot so it’s interesting to see this role come up now. 

At one stage Hornby had an in-house team digital team in London's trendy Shoreditch district, but I assume that did not last many years.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Willingness to work in a busy office - so no working from home then.

Ability to work to deadlines - this is Hornby we're talking about?

If Hornby have other jobs that don't require either of those attributes I will apply straight away!!!

Hate other people and want to do things when I feel like it, not to someone else's timetable :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 08/05/2021 at 15:32, 1andrew1 said:

At one stage Hornby had an in-house team digital team in London's trendy Shoreditch district, but I assume that did not last many years.

Another expensive vanity project by the previous management?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Fireline said:

Another expensive vanity project by the previous management?

Since obviously replaced by an in-house digital team in Margate. Will Margate become as trendy as Shoreditch (probably in view of the considerable 'Covid inspired' flight from London property and working locations?

On 08/05/2021 at 15:32, 1andrew1 said:

Probably because no-one in Digital fancied working out of Margate, doesn't look great on a CV and perhaps the team although dedicated to Hornby were outsourced from one of the many companies dotted around Shoreditch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Really makes me laugh. Seen by various comments across different threads, it’s seems People want Hornby products but are not willing to directly support Hornby. They then say if they can’t get the latest version of something from someone other than Hornby, then they will stick to the decades old versions of something. Where is the logic in that? I had my order for the new P2, 9F, and several different W1’s cancelled by Hattons. So I’ve reordered direct with Hornby to ensure I get it, rather than mess around with other model shops which may in turn cancel on me. Is that wrong? Am I stupid for doing it, To ensure I get what I’m after? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Really makes me laugh. Seen by various comments across different threads, it’s seems People want Hornby products but are not willing to directly support Hornby. They then say if they can’t get the latest version of something from someone other than Hornby, then they will stick to the decades old versions of something. Where is the logic in that? I had my order for the new P2, 9F, and several different W1’s cancelled by Hattons. So I’ve reordered direct with Hornby to ensure I get it, rather than mess around with other model shops which may in turn cancel on me. Is that wrong? Am I stupid for doing it, To ensure I get what I’m after? 

We'd like to think it's because everyone really regards their local retailer, but as many of the cancellations originate with people like Hattons it would seem to be more a price thing, which means going to Hornby direct and paying full RRP.

• Agree 2