Preorder email

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, rubber duck said:

Indeed, but is there any guarantee that they will be able to supply??

No issues expected with many retailers...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Seems a bit like COVID isolation rules currently!

Perhaps Hornby should create / issue a dealer / retailer listing with RED, AMBER, GREEN traffic lights to indicate who's in their good books, who's not? !!

Al.

Wasn't that what they created the so called "Tier System" for?

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

That's fairly typical amazon pricing, had same when looking for books and dvds etc

Go to the "Hornby Store" on Amazon and click on "Diesel & Electric Locomotives" and it takes you to the Rolling Stock section. Or click on the pic of a 31 and its take me to a John Dewars 48DS that is "currently unavailable". Like trying to buy from Argos, most of the stuff on their website is out of stock.

And back to Sheffield, re-running the search for stockists in Sheffield, turns out none of the website links on the Hornby website link to the [alleged] stockists' websites. All come up with the "Ooops" page. Down in Essex there is no link to John Dutfield's website despite being a major stockist, but does link Sat Model Rail.

Someone really does need to get a grip on the whole interweb online thingy at Hornby.

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Let's not peddle such farcical unfounded and unwarranted theories...

But how do you know that ? 

Hattons presumably expected no issues perhaps even as late as January this year when they placed their orders and thought they would be fulfilled. If Hornby are supporting local shops ie those with High St presence , but cutting back in allocations to those with a large on line presence (what we desparagingly refer to as "box shifters") ,as the Hattons and Rails volume must have moved somewhere , how do you know , Kernow wont be affected  next year?   

The position where so many orders being cancelled through Hattons would be considered farcical now , so how much more farcical can it get? It would appear anything is possible . 

12 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Seems a bit like COVID isolation rules currently!

Perhaps Hornby should create / issue a dealer / retailer listing with RED, AMBER, GREEN traffic lights to indicate who's in their good books, who's not? !!

Al.

They possibly have  if this Tier notice is correct ,according to some unknown criteria, but just not told us , the customers .  But then they are already showing contempt for customer orders through what was presumably their largest retailer.  And also , if true , when do they review the tiers . This year  apparently not until after customers placed orders with retailers .  

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

39 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Let's not peddle such farcical unfounded and unwarranted theories...

FTFY. Farcical? Hardly, the only farce is Hornby's inability to faciltiate customers buying its products or communicate with them.

Unfounded? Hardly, plenty of anecdotal evidence of things go awry not just at Hattons and silence from Hornby.

Unwarranted? Not really, complete lack of comms to customers seeing orders cancelled at various retailers without explanation or assistance as to how to get the items they are after.

Cryptic remarks and fanboi comments are about as much use as conspiracy theories and Hornby's website stockist list.

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Cryptic remarks and fanboi comments are about as much use as conspiracy theories and Hornby's website stockist list.

Given @Graham_Muz is speaking in an official capacity I don't think he's in either the cryptic or fanboi category.

The question levelled at Kernow was they will be next in line if they order too much and/or operate a warehouse, coming from someone who is no more informed on what the true situation is than the rest of us not privy to whatever it is Hornby are doing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Round of applause 2

44 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Go to the "Hornby Store" on Amazon and click on "Diesel & Electric Locomotives" and it takes you to the Rolling Stock section. Or click on the pic of a 31 and its take me to a John Dewars 48DS that is "currently unavailable". Like trying to buy from Argos, most of the stuff on their website is out of stock.

And back to Sheffield, re-running the search for stockists in Sheffield, turns out none of the website links on the Hornby website link to the [alleged] stockists' websites. All come up with the "Ooops" page. Down in Essex there is no link to John Dutfield's website despite being a major stockist, but does link Sat Model Rail.

Someone really does need to get a grip on the whole interweb online thingy at Hornby.

And both Rails and Hattons are listed !!!

• RMweb Gold

is it not time this thread is locked. The usual suspects saying the same stuff over and over, having the same pop at Hornby over and Hornby, using adhock and hearsay to justify their rant and axe to grind.

Hornby don't have to say anything as a manufacturer, its the retailer who needs to communicate to their customers.

Hattons are the retailer frequently mentioned in this thread so i shall use them but it could be any retailer.

Hattons could come out with an official statement. Could be a one liner to say sorry for all the cancellations, our quantities have been cut or withdrawn by the supplier, end off. If Hornby take issue because that's not true then its in their interest to say so and set the record straight.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Around a year after Triang had stopped making or selling TT my father wrote to them complaining that his son could no longer purchase TT items from any of the local model shops. Triang replied by sending a list of stockists booklet that listed all the shops who had no TT anymore and the letter they sent claimed that any of the listed stockists would be able to help! It was only later we found out that the range had vanished and secondhand became the only way to get anything. The current situation appears to be equally poor customer relations and makes me very happy that I now have all the stock I require for my OO layout and the only stock I am buying is for my American HO layout and Ebay does a good job at supplying more than I will ever need.

2 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

is it not time this thread is locked. The usual suspects saying the same stuff over and over, having the same pop at Hornby over and Hornby, using adhock and hearsay to justify their rant and axe to grind.

Hornby don't have to say anything as a manufacturer, its the retailer who needs to communicate to their customers.

Hattons are the retailer frequently mentioned in this thread so i shall use them but it could be any retailer.

Hattons could come out with an official statement. Could be a one liner to say sorry for all the cancellations, our quantities have been cut or withdrawn by the supplier, end off. If Hornby take issue because that's not true then its in their interest to say so and set the record straight.

I totally disagree. The only people who gain when threads are locked are those who have something to hide. If you don't want to read it, then don't read it!

Hattons have apologised to those who haven't received their items. Why do they need to apologise to anyone else?

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold

Just received an e-mail from Hornby about their new Merchant Navy and other products.

Considerately, there is an e-mail address to write to. I shall be doing just that and explaining what I think of their current actions.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

What I was taught in my early years studying management around 45-50 years ago was you need to keep customers informed; you may get away with a cock-up if you own up you won’t if the fact you did a cover-up to conceal it is what gets known about. In this far more modern age of ease of communication than it was back in the early 80s that lesson taught then has been lost along the way. 

It is not just Hornby, two items ordered direct from another manufacturer, not told out of stock, 3-5 day delivery and on 6th working day asked where it was. Awaiting stock will be despatched tomorrow (I.e Friday last week) - still no items or note of despatch! Their website is still not showing it as out of stock. One is for me and delay is just an irritation, t’other is supposed to be a present for someone, at this rate the deadline will have passed before it arrives!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Just received an e-mail from Hornby about their new Merchant Navy and other products.

Considerately, there is an e-mail address to write to. I shall be doing just that and explaining what I think of their current actions.

I have just received this too, having had my order with Hattons for the same loco cancelled about 3 days ago.

Given that Hattons have spent years building up a loyal customer base I find Hornby's behaviour most distasteful.

They did try to become retailers a couple of years back and it was a total disaster; in my view they should be focussing on getting their manufacturing supply chain working, not undermining their retail network.

Given that Hornby share a CEO with Oxford Diecast, I do hope that they will not be following suit!

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 2

21 hours ago, AY Mod said:

As you are obviously taking a pop at me the reason I have said what I have is to steer it away from inaccurate information. I'm certainly not doing it to 'make me look good' so I await your apology.

If I am given information in confidence or on trust I'm not going to tell you just because you think I should.

It’s human nature to believe someone who provides details instead of the person who says “no, you are wrong” without actually providing any information to support that claim. I don’t know you. I’ve no reason to put any more weight on what you say than the OP. My point still stands, someone saying that information is “inaccurate” and that they know the truth without actually backing that up is instantly disregarded by me. Even if I did know you, I’m sure you will agree we should never believe what we are told based upon who tells us it.

Might sound a bit harsh but Covid-19 has made such an approach necessary to tune out the nutters!  

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Might sound a bit harsh but Covid-19 has made such an approach necessary to tune out the nutters!  

Given my role I am not likely to be making things up or talking out of my exhaust like some. I can't help it if you are incapable of understanding that or other nuances. I'll make it easier for you and remove access to the topic.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Given my role I am not likely to be making things up or talking out of my exhaust like some. I can't help it if you are incapable of understanding that or other nuances. I'll make it easier for you and remove access to the topic.

That's one problem solved! Now can you solve all the other problems please?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

6 hours ago, Wessex20 said:

Looks like as Hornby is being removed simultaneously brand new Bachmann is being sold again by Hattons. 

This stock is from an ex-dealer and not direct from Bachmann.

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Before we getting into the Hattons are selling Bachmann again debate. It's surplus stock from another retailer.

I'm not going to name the retailer, but it's the same one as last time who Hattons periodically buy stock from.

Jason

Jason,

I believe that you are on the wrong track here.  The retailer in question has not previously offloaded new stock.

I just want the model trains I've ordered.

in a reasonable time and from the retailer of my choice. And know that anything I wish to pre-order I will receive when the item is available.

Sadly this seems too difficult where Hornby is concerned 

It can't be that difficult surely

• Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

A bargain so long as Hornby aren’t trying to shift on some of the many substandard examples of these models. 

An update on my Amazon order of the Hornby R3831 A2/2 Thane of Fife, ordered this morning via my daughters Prime account. The loco was delivered half an hour ago - what superb service. Brand new, sealed, not a mark on the box (in a sealed poly bag). No bits off, straight running plate, livery fine (if a tad on the light side - though I never saw a real one) - and the running is, well, just superb. Quiet and powerful straight from the box just as it ought to be. Romped away with 12 on. Very, very pleased.

6 left in stock at Amazon for just under £140 now.

Brit15

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1