Preorder email

Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Yep, but it is not just retailers that are getting shafted by this, it is Hornby’s customer that is also suffering, which is not good business sense. I have no issue with Hornby changing the rules per se, but to do it retrospectively and without communicating this to the customer was a big mistake.

Roy

But again Roy, you are Hattons Customer, not Hornby's. If you had ordered direct with Hornby (as some have) you would have been told by Hornby if your item was or wasn't being supplied. In this case HATTONS were Hornby's customer and we have no idea what Hattons were or weren't told about thier allocation. And so far. hattons aren't saying, they are just saying they are not getting the stock

Edited by Matt C
Typos
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

So you can relate the dates of the introduction of the tier system with the cancellation of retailers orders for all retailers affected?  Interesting. (or is it supposition on your part?).   So when was the tier system introduced?  That could become quite an important point because if it came along after Hornby had taken retail trade orders it might well confirm that they had taken orders for product they could not supply (why else would there be a tier system?).

And don't forget a reliable source has indicated in this thread that Hattons - as a specific example - did not take any retail customer pre-orders for product for which they did not place an order  with Hornby. 

20 hours ago MV Wilson quoted an announcement from AJM Railways:

"An Announcement from www.AJMRailways.com Gentlemen and Customers I will begin with 2 apologies, the first and most important being to my Customers (many of whom are members of this Group) in respect of the way recent events have and will affect my future ability to supply in the manner you have become used to and the second apology is for the time it has taken to convey this to you. As some of you already know, Hornby decided to "Band" retailers back in January. Now 4 months later they have finally given explanation to why and how each account is banded. In this announcement, they describe Band 3 retailers such as AJM as "retailers who dont have a shop or if they do it may be of such a standard no one would want to visit it". Other criteria would include bad credit history, manufacturing competing products and not stocking the full range of Hornby Brands (eg Airfix etc)."

(My bold).

The first post in this thread regarding pre-order cancellation emails was on February 10, 2021.

So very likely that Hattons and other shorted traders placed all their retail customer pre-orders with Hornby in good faith as in previous years, and then these orders have since been cancelled or modified by Hornby per the above announcement.

I do not believe there is a shortage of supply, just Hornby changing the destination of the products.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Have you ever returned something to Amazon ? They just replace or refund. There are Auction sites and clearance companies out there dedicated to clearing retail returns. Its big business and for the likes of Anazon a numbers game, they dont repair etc its replace or refund and then clearance  'bought as seen' through one of the clearance houses. No doubt an agreement with the original supplier over the cost

I wouldn't buy a model railway item from Amazon if they were the last box shifter on the face of the planrt. (Mind you I did buy a dvd from there for my wife at Christmas because there was no other way I could get it - and that is the only thing I have ever bought from them.)

20 minutes ago, black and decker boy said:

If you have a faulty item, there is no guarantee that you will get a replacement from any stockist as once it’s sold out, you are only going to get a refund. That is the reality of batch production.

The world has changed. Shopping habits have changed. Few care now if it comes from Amazon or a local shop or a U.K. wide big retailer, they want cost & convenience. Amazon will refund a faulty product. Let’s face it, none of the box shifters tested locos before shipping.

The days of J R Hartley leafing through the yellow pages and then ringing round various shops for the book on Fly Fishing / R101 Signal Box etc, for a great bang in U.K., are long gone. Type a few words into Google, pick the cheapest / fastest shopping option, enter card details and jobs a good un.  That is the reality of 2021 shopping. 

You're behind the times - now it's all about 'shop local and 'support local businesses' - something which has come out of the pandemic with many people wanting to get back to visiting real shops instead of buying stuff from a computer screen.  So that means local model shops (those that remain) in just the same way as it means any other sort of local shop.  Alas things have in some areas gone too far to be able to buy things in real shops.

And perhaps you could explain to me what on earth is wrong with 'phoning a shop and asking if they can supply me with something that I want and telling them when I'll be round to collect it?   Incidentally i have never yet found that when you do buy something online (which I very occasionally do) that the vendor offers me a cuppa and some pleasant, usually interesting, conversation.  Maybe your computer makes the tea when you place an order online but mine doesn't.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Matt C said:

But again Roy, you are Hattons Customer, not Hornby's. If you had ordered direct with Hornby (as some have) you would have been told by Hornby if your item was or wasn't being supplied. In this case HATTONS were Hornby's customer and we have no idea what Hattons were or weren't told about thier allocation. And so far. hattons aren't saying, they are just saying they are not getting the stock

That is just semantics.  I am the end customer in a long chain, without me there is no sale.

I am a loss as to why people seem to be trying to defend what has happened. Hornby had a way of doing business that they have *retrospectively* changed, shafting many people in the process.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

6 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wouldn't buy a model railway item from Amazon if they were the last box shifter on the face of the planrt. (Mind you I did buy a dvd from there for my wife at Christmas because there was no other way I could get it - and that is the only thing I have ever bought from them.)

You're behind the times - now it's all about 'shop local and 'support local businesses' - something which has come out of the pandemic with many people wanting to get back to visiting real shops instead of buying stuff from a computer screen.  So that means local model shops (those that remain) in just the same way as it means any other sort of local shop.  Alas things have in some areas gone too far to be able to buy things in real shops.

And perhaps you could explain to me what on earth is wrong with 'phoning a shop and asking if they can supply me with something that I want and telling them when I'll be round to collect it?   Incidentally i have never yet found that when you do buy something online (which I very occasionally do) that the vendor offers me a cuppa and some pleasant, usually interesting, conversation.  Maybe your computer makes the tea when you place an order online but mine doesn't.

I do both but I am eyes open to the reality of 21st century retail. Online is what the next generation do for the majority of their purchases. Shop local might be trendy in affluent or quieter areas for those of a certain age but is by no means universally adopted nor feasible. Buy local is niche for the added value, little luxuries. It’s not about the everyday purchases to ordinary working families. That is still the Amazons, Lidl’s, Aldi’s and ASOS / Boohoo or Littlewood etc

I am generation X. I have a friendly model shop I use for a lot of my purchases. I also buy direct from Accurascale, Resltrsck, Revolution, SLW & Cavalex. I have bought locos from Amazon and direct from Hornby. Buying from Hattons isn’t any different to buying from Amazon in reality, it’s all done online, they don’t test the loco, I won’t get a replacement if it’s out of stock etc

Hornby sell what I want. I’ll find the route that suits me to buy that product. 

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

If Hornby want to sell via Amazon or direct that is up to them but will they readily be able to comply with sale of goods legislation?    Has anybody returned an unsatisfactory or faulty Hornby model to Amazon and been provided with a replacement at no cost (including postage) to themselves?  

Yes I have.

I bought a class 87, had a damaged pantograph.

Return was standard amazon returns label to Dunfermline (I think).

Oddly enough a few weeks later they advertised a damaged 87, so I think I bought the same one back this time for £40 less, £89.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

That is just semantics.  I am the end customer in a long chain, without me there is no sale.

I am a loss as to why people seem to be trying to defend what has happened. Hornby had a way of doing business that they have *retrospectively* changed, shafting many people in the process.

Roy

Defending ? No just trying to put some perspective, I don't like what APPEARS to have happened but we don't KNOW fully what was said back in January. We don't KNOW what allocations were or werent promised guaranteed or NOT. We dont KNOW what information was or wasn't given to retailers about individual terms and conditions. Hornby is a business, business is cut throat, Hattons and others are moving into comissioning. Do you expect Hornby to just roll over and wait to die from a thousand cuts ? Or go after market share and survive ?

Maybe in a years time we will look back and applaud the bravery of Hornby in taking decisive action, maybe those remaining high street retailers hanging on by thier fingernails will say how much THEY have benefited from Hornby's decision. OR they (Hornby) may bomb and go bust

Edited by Matt C
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Incidentally i have never yet found that when you do buy something online (which I very occasionally do) that the vendor offers me a cuppa and some pleasant, usually interesting conversation.

Sadly Mike, you are now behind the times. We have a very vigilant Local Authority. “ In order to serve refreshments the customer must be seated at a table. They may remove their face covering in order to eat and or drink”. With us limiting customers in the shop to four or groups of four, not much room for a table and chairs. We have had two inspections in the past year. Now awaiting the third because...

From Friday 21st May 2021 we now have to charge 10p for a plastic bag. Failure to charge will result in a £200 fine, reduced to £100 if paid, if l recall correctly fourteen days. We have also been advised that ‘Test purchases’ can be used.  The fine can rise to £ thousands if you particularly naughty.

I think l would rather tell someone that l couldn’t honour their pre order than ask for 10p!

One thing after another......

So next time you get a chance to visit your nearest model shop, have a drink before you get there, expect someone to shout if you dawdle  and take a plastic bag. 

Back to normal  on the 21st of June. Really?  

Edited by Widnes Model Centre
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Defending ? No just trying to put some perspective, I don't like what APPEARS to have happened but we don't KNOW fully what was said back in January. We don't KNOW what allocations were or werent promised guaranteed or NOT. We dont KNOW what information was or wasn't given to retailers about individual terms and conditions. Hornby is a business, business is cut throat, Hattons and others are moving into comissioning. Do you expect Hornby to just roll over and wait to die from a thousand cuts ? Or go after market share and survive ?

Maybe in a years time we will look back and applaud the bravery of Hornby in taking decisive action, maybe those remain high street retailers hanging on by thier fingernails will say how much THEY have benefited from Hornby's decision. OR they may bomb and go bust

But you hit the nail on the head, “what was said back in January” i.e. this year which has led to those of us who ordered in January *last year* having pre-orders placed under Hornby’s old way of working cancelled. Whatever the reason in Hornby’s mind, they have hung both retailers and customers out to dry. Whatever the legal position, Hornby’s reputation is severely tarnished.

I would not been able to place new orders for all my cancelled items without going direct to Hornby, which I sure as hell will not do. As said above, I refuse to purchase any further Hornby items now…

Roy

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I worked in an industry (Gas Distribution) during an age when the customer was king, and woe betide us if we did not serve, For me it was keeping the gas supplied, at all hours, in all weathers. I think we all did rather well. I find customer service these days in many, if not all aspects of life, quite dismal.

Amazon served yesterday. The website said upon ordering around 10.00 am delivery before 10.00 pm same day, it was delivered at around 7pm. First class service.

Hornby served as a manufacturer also for this particular transaction. The locomotive could have been "iffy" according to many reports (on rmweb) - Mine is not, no bits falling off, straight running plate, a superb and powerful runner.   Who is going to pay £190 plus postage when the same product can be had for £132 free postage, same day delivery ? (ordered via daughters Prime A/C). 

Had the loco been not up to standard it would be in the post being returned today, AND I would NOT be asking for or looking for a replacement. As the song I posted earlier "These are the trains I can do without" - an impulse buy because I always fancied an A2/2 with it's weird smoke deflectors !!!!!!

I have not given up on Hornby, Hattons, Rails or indeed the many other small shops I buy from now and again. though I do think Hornby need to be honest and tell us all (The customer) just what the hell is going on. 

Brit15

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

But you hit the nail on the head, “what was said back in January” i.e. this year which has led to those of us who ordered in January *last year* having pre-orders placed under Hornby’s old way of working cancelled. Whatever the reason in Hornby’s mind, they have hung both retailers and customers out to dry. Whatever the legal position, Hornby’s reputation is severely tarnished.

I would not been able to place new orders for all my cancelled items without going direct to Hornby, which I sure as hell will not do. As said above, I refuse to purchase any further Hornby items now…

Roy

It's business Roy, As I said in an earlier post somewhere, this is probably a unique and fairly limited opportunity for Hornby to do this. A lot of hype over this years launch, a lot of interest, a chance to get a large boost in profits to help pay down loans. And this and other threads/ forums have helped by telling us that small local retail shops are a good place to order AND that Hornby's online shop exists and can supply what the large box shifter can't. I would guess that the Pre orders Hornby have had transfered to them, AND the smaller retail outlets who CAN supply will far outway those who cancel pre orders they HAD with Hornby. And some of those orders will probably STILL get met as those who cancelled, give in and buy from elseware.

Edited by Matt C
Bloomin typo gremlins again
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Other retailers also happily ship overseas...

Yes indeed , i just did with Kernow, a real bargain 4 Hornby  Maunsell crimson and cream coaches set 427, Less  UK VAT and a special discount of 4 pounds,  for only  75,14 pounds total.

Just have to add dutch VAT 21% and handling fee, but still a real bargain set, just to put behind my  blue Merchant Navy, will make a nice set.

But this have only sence if i buy a few things together, otherwise the shipping cost flat rate of 19 pound are to expensive compared with Hattons shipping by DPD for only just 7 pound by road, up to 3 kilograms.

Maybe Kernow can offer some other cheaper options by DPD , DHL or others

The problem with other shops is, since covid 19 and brexit, many shops mostly small shops , don't ship to the EU and other countries anymore, because the hassle of documentation and so on.

In the past 15 years i had several orders from small shops all over the country, but now many have ceased to do so..

Therefore for many others ouside the UK on RMweb, Hattons option for the trunk is a great initiative.

This is the reason many outside the UK are ordering from Hattons ,especially those in the EU with DDP shipping from Hattons, another great option from Hattons, this is thinking for and with the customer.

And about ordering directly from Hornby, they charge RRP price, high shipping cost from14,95 up to 50,- pound for other continents , consider this for a small loco, this will become more expensive than shipped from others with 10% less the RRP, and cheaper shipping. 

If you have about 10 items in pre order from Hornby direct, this will shipped separated if not released all at the same moment, so this means 10 times 14,95 is 149,50 shipping cost for shipping 10 items to the Netherlands, and 10 times handling fee at receiving.

Did find a German shop with Hornby stock, just received my first order, same UK price in euro's as when it is coverted to pounds,

because they also sale less 10 % of the RRP and shipping by DHL for just 12,99 euro.

They did have the SR 4 wheel bagage wagon genesis coach. 

All sold out in UK i believe, but not there.

If the 4 items i realy want of my many cancelled ones,  when those are released and available, i will buy only from a shop and not Hornby itself, just because the reasons i mentioned.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Matt C said:

It's business Roy, As I said in an earlier post somewhere, this is probably a unique and fairly limited opportunity for Hornby to do this. A lot of hype over this years launch, a lot of interest, a chance to get a large boost in profits to help pay down loans. And this and other threads/ forums have helped by telling us that small local retail shops are a good place to order AND that Hornby's online shop exists and can supply what the large box shifter can't. I would guess that the Pre orders Hornby have had transfered to them, AND the smaller retail outlets you CAN supply will far outway those who cancel prevorders they HAD with Hornby. And some of those orders will probably STILL get met as those who cancelled, give in and buy from elseware.

I run a business, if I treated my customers this way, I would go bust quickly - reputation and trust are hard earned and easily lost.

And again you talk about this year’s orders, but my issue is more with last year’s orders, those made long before Hornby’s change in direction.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Sadly Mike, you are now behind the times. We have a very vigilant Local Authority. “ In order to serve refreshments the customer must be seated at a table. They may remove their face covering in order to eat and or drink”. With us limiting customers in the shop to four or groups of four, not much room for a table and chairs. We have had two inspections in the past year. Now awaiting the third because...

From Friday 21st May 2021 we now have to charge 10p for a plastic bag. Failure to charge will result in a £200 fine, reduced to £100 if paid, if l recall correctly fourteen days. We have also been advised that ‘Test purchases’ can be used.  The fine can rise to £ thousands if you particularly naughty.

I think l would rather tell someone that l couldn’t honour their pre order than ask for 10p!

One thing after another......

So next time you get a chance to visit your nearest model shop, have a drink before you get there, expect someone to shout if you dawdle  and take a plastic bag. 

Back to normal man on the 21st of June. Really?  

I'd hardly expect a cuppa in current circumstances anyway - we might get back to that sort of 'future normal' one day but at the moment we all realise that things are pandemic driven including restrictions on the number of people allowed in shops at any one time.  Charges for plastic bags are a thing which is gradually being extended to wider areas of retail but no doubt if the till receipt includes a note that a charge has been made that ought to be sufficient evidence surely?   The requirement for reporting the amounts involved to HMRC will presumably be avoided if you only employ a small number of people in the shop?   (I usually take my own bags with me anywayalthough a bag from the shop is useful for keeping books etc separated and safe from damage)

And yes I know things are difficult for retailers including several I know in the model railway/wider model shop trade with a  particular worry now that any growth in takings during the pandemic might be lost as people go back to spending on other things.   That is one reason why i am more than happy to spend money with them when the opportunity and my bank balance allows  because I know full well that if we do not support folk with businesses like yours we can wave them a sad farewell.  And I hope, as I've already mentionwed that the 'shop local' idea, which seems to be getting increasing and wider support all the time. will extend to your business.

• Like 2

The timeline is important.   Some fanboys are suggesting that the tier system most likely was in effect prior pre-orders being taken by stores and thus any store not eligible to accept pre-orders was doing so at their own peril.  As a tier 3 stockists would Hattons rely on there being so much stock left over from tier 1 and 2 purchase pre-orders that items would be instock at Hornby for purchase to satisfy all their pre-orders?   Tier 3  stockists may only purchase instock items and are not permitted to accept pre-orders.   Would Hattons and other reputable stockists risk their loyalty base by accepting pre-orders for items that they were explicitly forbidden to take?  The tier system came into effect apparently after 2021 pre-orders were in place and obviously post-2020 pre-orders.   From my discussion on the topic of cancellation of pre-orders the news came out of the blue to many stockists and in one case,  the stockist after being refused his 2021 pre-order tally for not meeting the criteria of a tier 1 or tier 2 stockist,  was several weeks later offered a reduced number of items to his original order.  

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I run a business, if I treated my customers this way, I would go bust quickly - reputation and trust are hard earned and easily lost.

And again you talk about this year’s orders, but my issue is more with last year’s orders, those made long before Hornby’s change in direction.

Roy

I take it you mean last years LAUNCH, which retailers said they would LIKE to recieve a certain quantity of, which they were PROBABLY told they may not get ( possibly in January of this year?) Actual quantities of Which were then CONFIRMED in May of this year ?

We could go round in ever decreasing circles debating this Roy. I think the decision was made and the process started in January, details of which are Just now coming out. No one will come out of this smelling of Roses, I just hope when the dust settles it has benefitted the smaller retail outlets we ALL want to see surviving on our high streets

Leaving the debate to others now

regards.  Matt

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

The timeline is important.   Some fanboys are suggesting that the tier system most likely was in effect prior pre-orders being taken by stores and thus any store not eligible to accept pre-orders was doing so at their own peril.  As a tier 3 stockists would Hattons rely on there being so much stock left over from tier 1 and 2 purchase pre-orders that items would be instock at Hornby for purchase to satisfy all their pre-orders?   Tier 3  stockists may only purchase instock items and are not permitted to accept pre-orders.   Would Hattons and other reputable stockists risk their loyalty base by accepting pre-orders for items that they were explicitly forbidden to take?  The tier system came into effect apparently after 2021 pre-orders were in place and obviously post-2020 pre-orders.   From my discussion on the topic of cancellation of pre-orders the news came out of the blue to many stockists and in one case,  the stockist after being refused his 2021 pre-order tally for not meeting the criteria of a tier 1 or tier 2 stockist,  was several weeks later offered a reduced number of items to his original order.  

FANBOYS ?  Ahh well I've been called worse, stopped reading after that. Gnight All :mocking_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I'd hardly expect a cuppa in current circumstances anyway - we might get back to that sort of 'future normal' one day but at the moment we all realise that things are pandemic driven including restrictions on the number of people allowed in shops at any one time.  Charges for plastic bags are a thing which is gradually being extended to wider areas of retail but no doubt if the till receipt includes a note that a charge has been made that ought to be sufficient evidence surely?   The requirement for reporting the amounts involved to HMRC will presumably be avoided if you only employ a small number of people in the shop?   (I usually take my own bags with me anywayalthough a bag from the shop is useful for keeping books etc separated and safe from damage)

And yes I know things are difficult for retailers including several I know in the model railway/wider model shop trade with a  particular worry now that any growth in takings during the pandemic might be lost as people go back to spending on other things.   That is one reason why i am more than happy to spend money with them when the opportunity and my bank balance allows  because I know full well that if we do not support folk with businesses like yours we can wave them a sad farewell.  And I hope, as I've already mentionwed that the 'shop local' idea, which seems to be getting increasing and wider support all the time. will extend to your business.

Thankfully we have a really great, supportive customer base. We lost £10,000’s in sales during Lockdown but saved an absolute fortune on tea, coffee etc. Every cloud....

We don’t need to keep any records of bag sales strangely enough. Adding it to a till receipt l see as problematic. Last Saturday we had 65 paying customers.  Yes, since we reopened it has been like Christmas. If they all had one bag that would be £6.50 ‘extra’ in sales. That would attract VAT. We have a charity box at the till and we are asking for 10p to go in the box. Not exactly a ‘contactless payment ‘. 

Although l agree with the plastic bag principles. I had one customer today who spent just short of £200 on paints. Went and found a large paper carrier bag. Conscience got the better of me and l put 10p in the charity box. How could l have asked him for 10p?

We have been entertained with a few songs this evening. I will add another... Who knows what tomorrow brings..... ? 

Edited by Widnes Model Centre
Deplorable arithmetic. Thanks to error pointed out by abd968008
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Widnes Model Centre said:

Thankfully we have a really great, supportive customer base. We lost £10,000’s in sales during Lockdown but saved an absolute fortune on tea, coffee etc. Every cloud....

We don’t need to keep any records of bag sales strangely enough. Adding it to a till receipt l see as problematic. Last Saturday we had 65 paying customers.  Yes, since we reopened it has been like Christmas. If they all had one bag that would be £65 ‘extra’ in sales. That would attract VAT. We have a charity box at the till and we are asking for 10p to go in the box. Not exactly a ‘contactless payment ‘. 

Although l agree with the plastic bag principles. I had one customer today who spent just short of £200 on paints. Went and found a large paper carrier bag. Conscience got the better of me and l put 10p in the charity box. How could l have asked him for 10p?

We have been entertained with a few songs this evening. I will add another... Who knows what tomorrow brings..... ? 

I think thats £6.50 in extra sales.

if it were £65 in extra sales i’ll stand outside your door and sell bags :mellow: for you ;-)*

(* I wouldn't really, i’d subcontract it to someone else and take a cut ). Though I’d draw the line at singing, my voice would shatter windows  and make dogs run away.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I take it you mean last years LAUNCH, which retailers said they would LIKE to recieve a certain quantity of, which they were PROBABLY told they may not get ( possibly in January of this year?) Actual quantities of Which were then CONFIRMED in May of this year ?

We could go round in ever decreasing circles debating this Roy. I think the decision was made and the process started in January, details of which are Just now coming out. No one will come out of this smelling of Roses, I just hope when the dust settles it has benefitted the smaller retail outlets we ALL want to see surviving on our high streets

Leaving the debate to others now

regards.  Matt

No, last years launch items that were due LAST year and had to be ordered LAST year. 

Yes, we need the smaller retailers to survive, but we also need the likes of Hattons and Rails to survive. 

Finally, what stops Hornby doing this again, and again, bit by bit dropping more and more retailers into tier 3, not ending the relationship, but leaving little value?

Roy

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

I think thats £6.50 in extra sales.

if it were £65 in extra sales i’ll stand outside your door and sell bags :mellow: for you ;-)*

(* I wouldn't really, i’d subcontract it to someone else and take a cut ).

Well spotted.  Believe it or not, that is exactly what l meant. Must be tired. I had to read my post again to see what l had written. Same principle though, trying to deduct the money from the days takings might not only attract VAT but the VAT Inspectors as well. Monday l will speak with our friendly HMRC office and seek their advice. Incidentally, we only found out about the charge on the BBC news website which led to discovering the penalty for failing to comply.

You are always welcome with our favourite photographer to stand outside our door next time you are Up North. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ive got to admit buying Hornby via Amazon is a little unusual, I buy all kinds of stuff there.

However Hornby on Amazon is nothing new. Ive bought stuff there for at least 4-5 years now, indeed Hornby's coach wheels were £6,50 a pack at one point and half everyone else's for nearly a year. Ive also bought model railways off Amazons Spanish and German sites too.

I live very close to an Amazon fulfillment centre, and as such I deduce Hornby must have local stock in the warehouse, as I have (and  can) order for same day delivery, even on a sunday... I once ordered wheels at breakfast on a sunday and they were running under my coaches before dinner.

it does make Amazon my “closest” local shop.

for example this one.. if I order before noon i’ll still get it today.

623A2378-82FF-4C19-8F11-212FBEA6FE7E.jpeg.d8c682559fbcd7c97d7ad878d7835c9f.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Widnes Model Centre said:

Well spotted.  Believe it or not, that is exactly what l meant. Must be tired. I had to read my post again to see what l had written. Same principle though, trying to deduct the money from the days takings might not only attract VAT but the VAT Inspectors as well. Monday l will speak with our friendly HMRC office and seek their advice. Incidentally, we only found out about the charge on the BBC news website which led to discovering the penalty for failing to comply.

You are always welcome with our favourite photographer to stand outside our door next time you are Up North. 

She’s still got a lot of match sticks to use :-) But we may be up for a surprise visit next week. (I’ll bring my ikea bag.. they are indestructible).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt C said:

Have you ever returned something to Amazon ? They just replace or refund. There are Auction sites and clearance companies out there dedicated to clearing retail returns. Its big business and for the likes of Anazon a numbers game, they dont repair etc its replace or refund and then clearance  'bought as seen' through one of the clearance houses. No doubt an agreement with the original supplier over the cost

T

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

But they have got stock sat in a warehouse - and not just for moths (e.g Class 71 and J15).  Hattons ceased to be a deep discounter a long time ago - nowadays, and for a year or more past they have the same limit on discounting on new releases as everybody else in the retail trade (except Amazon it would seem from posts in this thread) although like anyone else once the time limit is past they can discount more deeply.  But nobody in the retail trade can discount very deeply because of Hornby's very tight trade discount levels.  The old days of Hattons flogging locos by the pallet load at a margin of about £1-2 each are long vanished - thank goodness.

Effectively the big box shifters have in any case vanished as far as Hornby are concerned - Rails walked away last year and now Hattons have seemingly had the rug pulled out from under them.  That's the two big box shifters gone as far as Hornby railways are concerned because compared to them everybody else are small fry in that market area.

If Hornby want to sell via Amazon or direct that is up to them but will they readily be able to comply with sale of goods legislation?    Has anybody returned an unsatisfactory or faulty Hornby model to Amazon and been provided with a replacement at no cost (including postage) to themselves?   Time will tell just how good that sales route is or isn't but you could hardly contact an Amazon retail outlet and say that whatever I bought from you doesn't work properly so can you replace it please, oh and did you test it before sending it to me?

They refund. You use the free returns label and drop it off at a newsagent etc. Often soon after the courier picks up you get a refund. If you want a replacement you order again, shipping is free with orders over £20 or for Prime members. Please do try and keep up...

If the fault is cosmetic, or just a return it's relisted in the Amazon's returns section with varying degrees of discount, otherwise, it's put into a large container and sold wholesale with all the other duff toasters, etc.

Hornby is daft to supply Amazon IMHO. Premium brands try to create an orderly market, Amazon's business model is the exact opposite with prices changing daily. They also don't comply with Hornby's 10% discount on new lines. Other vendors like 365games don't, but that is by time-limited promo codes sent via email if you sign up for their newsletter. For example, with a video games code applied the blue merchant navy can be had for £139.50 delivered within 14 days. There seem to be quite large quantities of this model available at the moment in the system.

Edited by maico
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, maico said:

T

Hornby is daft to supply Amazon IMHO. Premium brands try to create an orderly market, Amazon's business model is the exact opposite with prices changing daily. They also don't comply with Hornby's 10% discount on new lines.

Actually I think theres sound logic in it.

ToysRUs no longer exist. High street supermarkets are very limited in their model railway interest. Toy spend is online.

Amazons reach is huge, and arguably more likely to reach “normal” people than any other retail mechanism, especially in the current climate.

Given much of 21st century joe public use amazon, being able to get it same or next day, often in the same box with gardening stuff or any other household items is convenient.

Amazon have a huge range of ancillary bits, for example I bought a worm puller for a fiver, next day delivered the other week.. really useful as I broke my last one, and buying it elsewhere online would be at least a week for delivery.

Logistically for Hornby, having boxes in Amazons warehouse and shipped by their team in their network is probably a time saving on having it in their own facility or paying a specialist courier to do it for them.

The barrier so far to buying from Amazon has been RRP pricing. If they recognise the need to compete, and they only sell whats in stock then tbh, I see them doing very well, especially if whats in stock turns out to be some of the latest releases that other retailers just had canceled... that could well rip up a frenzy.

I don’t have a local shop, so for me this has potential to become quite attractive.

Edited by adb968008