Railway Modeller, March 2021

Budgie

• RMweb Gold

My copy of this arrived today. It contains a review of KR Models's GT3, which it notes is already fully sold out and rhetorically asks why it is publishing a review of something that ostensibly can no longer be obtained. Amongst the answers it says that "... KR Models has announced plans for a whole raft of other projects, ... and therefore the specification, performance and finish of the sample ... serves to provide a clear indication of what we might expect from these ... future releases."

So, by the same token, why don't they have a review of the ex-GWR 16xx 0-6-0PT being made by Rapido and sold by Kernow on behalf of Model Rail? After all, I would like to know how the ex-GWR 15xx 0-6-0PT which is currently under development by Rapido is likely to perform, which is the reason they used for reviewing the GT3. I know that Railway Modeller and Model Rail are competing publications, but how can Railway Modeller claim to be "at the heart of the hobby" if they deliberately ignore some models like this?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Budgie said:

So, by the same token, why don't they have a review of the ex-GWR 16xx 0-6-0PT being made by Rapido and sold by Kernow on behalf of Model Rail? After all, I would like to know how the ex-GWR 15xx 0-6-0PT which is currently under development by Rapido is likely to perform, which is the reason they used for reviewing the GT3. I know that Railway Modeller and Model Rail are competing publications, but how can Railway Modeller claim to be "at the heart of the hobby" if they deliberately ignore some models like this?

It may well be Model Rail deliberately hasn't sent a example of the Loco to be reviewed.. Magazines Don't go out and buy them . They wait till one is sent in for review..

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

It may well be Model Rail deliberately hasn't sent a example of the Loco to be reviewed.. Magazines Don't go out and buy them . They wait till one is sent in for review..

And, of course, Model Rail and Railway Modeller are competitive magazines (perhaps RM didn't want to publicise a competitors product although that would seem uncharacteristically churlish).

Maybe MR will include a review.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2021 at 19:02, Nile said:

If you are after DE content you will be disappointed with this issue.

Thanks, that saves me a go then.

I like RM and it’s overall design, but lately it’s been returning back to fully steam.

They always find a NG layout every edition so I think they probably could find a DE.

• Like 1

I would imagine their articles come from three sources:

* Layouts spotted by the editorial teams at shows, whose owners are invited to submit an article.

* Articles submitted on-spec by readers

* Articles penned by staff writers

Obviously with no exhibitions for most of the last year (and few on the horizon),  the first source of articles dries up, which means the editors are very reliant on what their readers send in.

However what I would like to see is not quite so many layout articles, and a few more 'project' type articles along the lines of Railway Modelling Explored, to give us all things to do during lockdown. Whilst the old days of converting a Triang Princess into a Jubilee or a Lima 4F into a Jinty are gone, perhaps something on converting a 14XX to a 517, or a Dean Goods to a Cambrian 0-6-0, or a Class 08 to a low-height version would not go amiss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RJS1977 said:

I would imagine their articles come from three sources:

* Layouts spotted by the editorial teams at shows, whose owners are invited to submit an article.

* Articles submitted on-spec by readers

* Articles penned by staff writers

Obviously with no exhibitions for most of the last year (and few on the horizon),  the first source of articles dries up, which means the editors are very reliant on what their readers send in.

However what I would like to see is not quite so many layout articles, and a few more 'project' type articles along the lines of Railway Modelling Explored, to give us all things to do during lockdown. Whilst the old days of converting a Triang Princess into a Jubilee or a Lima 4F into a Jinty are gone, perhaps something on converting a 14XX to a 517, or a Dean Goods to a Cambrian 0-6-0, or a Class 08 to a low-height version would not go amiss.

I’m quite the reverse - I always liked RM becuase if the volume of layouts. I like to see layouts, not withstanding my preference for BR blue up to modern, I can appreciate any good modelling .

I can’t stand “ we show you how “ stuff, because it’s incredibly specific and unless you are thinking along the same lines wasted pages for me. That is why I gave up on a mag with the initials reversed, as it was too much “ we show you how “ and every few years it began to repeat itself . “ we show you how to model snow “ etc.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

I think there's a balance to be struck. I find sometimes I buy RM and do little more than look at the pictures, because there's very little new being said about the layouts. But yes, my father stopped taking the magazine you mention because a lot of it seemed to be taken up with how to fit DCC chips to different locos. which was of no interest to him.

My father and I  between us have nearly every issue of RM since 1966 (I say nearly because I missed a couple around the start of first lockdown) and quite a few before that. Which ones do I find myself drawn to pull of the shelf to read? The Freezer and Brewer era ones, rather than the Flint era, because of the variety of 'how to make' articles and the scale drawings and accompanying loco histories. They're the real reference library. Whilst not wishing to denigrate 'Stern Steve', I'm afraid that when I reach the point where I run out of space for paper copies, I think I know which ones will be heading for recycling....

Certainly I think some 'basics' articles (like how to build a brass kit would be useful).

Of course, the more 'how to' articles there are in a magazine, the more likelihood there is of an article which is relevant to the reader, just as the more layout articles there are, the more likelihood of it having an article which appeals to the reader.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Nile said:

Many of the layout photos were taken at exhibitions, I've seen both Steve Flint and Andrew Burnham do this. So getting decent photos of layouts could now be an issue.

Some are but layouts are often photographed  at their owner's home  or club where there's naturally better opportunity and more time to get the lighting right. There was an article in 009 News not too long ago by someone describing their experience of having their layout photographed by, I think, Andrew Burnham.

I've noticed that Loco-Revue tends to run layout articles based on an interview and photos taken at shows so very rarely an actual article by the builder. I think that loses the sense of getting to know other modellers through their writing and that's always been a strength of magazines like RM.  and of course they also get paid for the article which seems a fair return for the contribution their layout makes. I'd far rather read a modeller's own account of their activities than have it described by a staff writer. 

Going back to their earlier days, their always was more of an emphasis on layouts in RM than in MRN or MRC that seemed to focus more on rolling stock. 

Going through my files of clipped articles recently I've noticed that there are far more layout than how-to articles. How many ways to build a tree or even a building does anyone need but every layout is different. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I can’t stand “ we show you how “ stuff, because it’s incredibly specific and unless you are thinking along the same lines wasted pages for me. That is why I gave up on a mag with the initials reversed, as it was too much “ we show you how “ and every few years it began to repeat itself . “ we show you how to model snow “ etc.

Personally I see beyond the specific subject of the 'how to project'. Even if it is not something I'm contemplating, I find I can learn from the techniques used and the modelling tips often provided and apply them to my own creative efforts. And, although as much as I like 'we show you how' articles, I do also like to see completed layouts. So for me it's important for magazines to have a balance of all content; layouts, 'how to's, news and reviews, rather than be skewed one way with only one type of article.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

The time gap between photography and the layout appearing in a magazine is generally measured in months rather than years in my experience. I expect there is quite a problem for all magazines at the moment as their stocks of layout photos must be running very low. No doubt Messrs Flint, Wild & co will be out on the road a lot as soon as restrictions are eased. RM do seem to be keeping a reasonable spread of scales in their articles. I have recently taken out an electronic subscription to RM which I'm very happy with although it seems you can either have it to work on a PC or an a tablet but not both which is a bit disappointing; I have it on ipad and iphone. The down side is that I get (and therefore pay for) the magazine whether there is anything of special interest to me or not. There are two upsides 1. I'm finding quite a few interesting articles that wouldn't have made me buy the magazine and I would have missed and 2. I have access to all issues since January 2010 through the app so there is plenty of reading for me.

I'm with Rob D2 in that I find the layout articles in all scales and all eras the most interesting. The track plan, the design, the build and how it is run all make for a fascinating read to me. Agreed that having the article written by the layout builder is much better than having it written by some in house guy.  We are all different and that's good so we will all like different articles.  I really can't get excited about articles such as "unusual wagons for Dentdale". The quality of the modelling in this article is exceptional  but it is too far away from my era and location to be of any interest. There again that's the nature of all magazines; you will never have all articles being of interest to all readers.

Edited by Chris M
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

On 10/02/2021 at 14:43, Budgie said:

My copy of this arrived today. It contains a review of KR Models's GT3, which it notes is already fully sold out and rhetorically asks why it is publishing a review of something that ostensibly can no longer be obtained. Amongst the answers it says that "... KR Models has announced plans for a whole raft of other projects, ... and therefore the specification, performance and finish of the sample ... serves to provide a clear indication of what we might expect from these ... future releases."

There's an unwritten understanding between magazines that they don't normally review each-others' products. It avoids the potential for all manner of embarrassments. If you say nice things you're advertising a rival's product. If you don't say nice things, you could be accused of bias. Of course, it's all but impossible to work in this hobby without using PECO products, so mentions and photos in articles are inevitable. Full-on reviews, perhaps best avoided. Rapido's 15XX may well be a very different animal from the '16XX' as the 15XX will, I suspect, be designed by the Rapido UK team, while the '16XX' was designed in North America. They are also at opposite ends of the pannier size spectrum. (CJL)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Returning to the GT3 the review does make clear that there is to be a second run so it is of interest to anyone thinking of ordering. 
I like the sheer diversity of RM articles, anyone who buys a magazine expecting every article to be relevant to their own specific interests is going to be disappointed. 

• Agree 6

5 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

Returning to the GT3 the review does make clear that there is to be a second run so it is of interest to anyone thinking of ordering. 
I like the sheer diversity of RM articles, anyone who buys a magazine expecting every article to be relevant to their own specific interests is going to be disappointed. 

But the reality is the diversity is only in the realm of steam - various versions and , of course , 009.

without anything from the last 53 years  it’s not really diverse 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

But the reality is the diversity is only in the realm of steam - various versions and , of course , 009.

without anything from the last 53 years  it’s not really diverse 

well, they are always looking for articles.. can you supply some on Diesels and Electrics?  (no I am not being facetious but they can only print what people send in).  

So if they don't get articles.. they can't publish them. And please remember that Steve Flint is an accomplished Diesel era (BR Blue diesels) Modeller - He did build the "Kyle of Tongue" as an example.

I understand like others the Editors of all magazines are very busy at the moment.

Baz

• Agree 5

26 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I understand like others the Editors of all magazines are very busy at the moment.

I'm sure that editors are currently very busy, but I understand that they, like other magazines, have staff writers as well as editorial personnel. I don't get RM so don't know, but do they only write about steam era subjects? And I guess they could commission specific articles to provide appropriate balance as well as just waiting and hoping people send them in.

• RMweb Gold

Its probably worth checking out the February issue for Diesel content, Sound in a Dapol 08 in 7mm and a small contemporary station and wagon works in 4mm.

The advert for April includes images of a DMU(N) and a Class 24 (00 - and on my mainly Blue Dock Street so I will declare an interest) plus a very old steam engine...

The relatively recent 4mm project layout by Chris Ford was blue diesel.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry O said:

well, they are always looking for articles.. can you supply some on Diesels and Electrics?  (no I am not being facetious but they can only print what people send in).  

So if they don't get articles.. they can't publish them. And please remember that Steve Flint is an accomplished Diesel era (BR Blue diesels) Modeller - He did build the "Kyle of Tongue" as an example.

Baz

True ,

I wonder if he wants to do a page on my plank when it’s finished - “ how to keep changing your mind “

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

True ,

I wonder if he wants to do a page on my plank when it’s finished - “ how to keep changing your mind “

You will never know if you don't try..

Go for it.

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, grahame said:

I'm sure that editors are currently very busy, but I understand that they, like other magazines, have staff writers as well as editorial personnel. I don't get RM so don't know, but do they only write about steam era subjects? And I guess they could commission specific articles to provide appropriate balance as well as just waiting and hoping people send them in.

Gosh! You seem to have the impression that the mags have lots of staff - staff writers and editorial personnel. They don't! The one I work on has currently two and half modeller/writers including the Editor (I'm the half - part-time) plus one designer and an 'editorial assistant' who does all the admin. Back in the 1980s when I first published Steve Flint's article on his wonderful Kyle of Tongue layout in Model Railway Constructor, I was a one-man band. I typed out all the articles, took, developed and printed the photographs (at home in the evening), read the proofs and wrote a list of who was to be paid and how much. Mags are a little better staffed now but as far as I know RM, BRM, and Hornby aren't over-staffed, either! (CJL)

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5