Railway Modeller, March 2021

Budgie

9 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Me, @AY Mod and Nevard, to name but 3, must be doing it wrong then. 

I have no idea about photography , but the ancient looking camera went with PECOs slightly old fashioned persona !

It was a minor attempt at Friday afternoon light heartedness.

• Friendly/supportive 1

What do you folks use nowadays? Maybe I’m very out of date. I don’t attempt magazine quality photos, I just snap away with my smartphone. 

It would be interesting to have a go at taking better photos so it would be interesting to know what equipment is now recommended.

• Moderators

A ten year old second hand compact camera with about a third of a million exposures on the clock, a cheapy shutter release, cobbled memory card scripts and a misbehaving tripod. :P

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

A ten year old second hand compact camera with about a third of a million exposures on the clock, a cheapy shutter release, cobbled memory card scripts and a misbehaving tripod. :P

That's enough about PP ....what about you!?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chris M said:

It’s fair to say you need a DSLR to take good photos of model railways mainly because you need to be able to use exactly the same exposure with a number of different focus settings.

None of the pictures I've taken for MRJ are on a DSLR. For a realistic viewpoint their sheer bulk is a distinct disadvantage.

jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 16/02/2021 at 12:14, kevinlms said:

But not everyone can write articles. There must be heaps of good layouts out there that don't appear in any mags or online equivalent.

Occasionally you see articles written up by a 3rd party, but rarely by magazine writers.

Maybe a solution that is becoming more common, is the interview with the builder/owner, with lots of photos?

Someone has to do the interview and write it up. On Model Rail, that someone is the Staff Writer. Not rarely -it's every  issue, sometimes more than one layout. (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/02/2021 at 22:20, Legend said:

I thought it was a very good edition . There’s always a lot more reading in the Railway Modeller than any other magazine , perhaps why it’s still No1.

the layout of the month is Sandy which is visually stunning . The perspectives created are talked about , the backscene with the 4 tracks going off in the distance is particularly effective . The only thing I’d say here is there are a lot of photos and maybe a wee bit less narrative than I’m used to in the RM. I’m hoping that this may just be because of  producing a magazine in times of Covid  rather than a trend .

Having visited and seen the layout I can also say it's fun to operate. I helped Mike with a few things as well as giving him a copy of a 10' plan I have of Sandy so I am rather biased.

• Like 3

Just now, chris p bacon said:

Having visited and seen the layout I can also say it's fun to operate. I helped Mike with a few things as well as giving him a copy of a 10' plan I have of Sandy so I am rather biased.

I did wonder when I read the article if you’d been involved!  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Clearwater said:

I did wonder when I read the article if you’d been involved!  

I was late to the party, Mike had done 80+% by the time I met him.

Mike rang me out of the blue one Sunday night, he had been on holiday in Wales and had stayed at a B&B, when there he met someone, who knew someone, who knew me. Neither of us have a clue who they were but he managed to get in touch with me and we've stayed in touch since. We have very different approaches to how to build, but both are enjoyable. 

• Like 5