Cobalt iP analogue polarity change

GEOEng03

Hi 

Appreciate this may have been done to death, but I'm struggling to understand everything that I've read so far.  I just want to know if the Cobalt iP Analogue switches polarity on frogs when wired in. I can see the iP digital does, but not entirely sure for iP Analouge. 

Best regards 

19 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

Hi 

Appreciate this may have been done to death, but I'm struggling to understand everything that I've read so far.  I just want to know if the Cobalt iP Analogue switches polarity on frogs when wired in. I can see the iP digital does, but not entirely sure for iP Analouge. 

Best regards 

As Teaky says, the Analog IP will switch frog polarity.

It has two built in changeover switches (S2 and S3) that can be used for frog polarity and other switching - such as signals.

Reversing DC (regulated) to DC IN (terminals 1/2) to control the direction of the motor.

Track power to S2L and S2 R (terminals 4/5) and frog to S2C (terminal 6). If the frog polarity is incorrect, swap the track feeds on S2L/R.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

The DCCconcepts Team

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies.  Sorry for delay as well.  Excellent reply that tells me just what is needed as well. 

OK, so going to ditch the SMP point motors and frog juicers and replace with these.  I have a single analogue motor, but wondering if it is worth spending just a bit more on the digital versions - incase i decide to use the controller.  I want to have switches at the front of the layout for control ideally, but wondering whether the small additional layout in money might be a better option! 

Best 

Bryn 

On 14/02/2021 at 17:01, GEOEng03 said:

Thanks all for the replies.  Sorry for delay as well.  Excellent reply that tells me just what is needed as well. 

OK, so going to ditch the SMP point motors and frog juicers and replace with these.  I have a single analogue motor, but wondering if it is worth spending just a bit more on the digital versions - incase i decide to use the controller.  I want to have switches at the front of the layout for control ideally, but wondering whether the small additional layout in money might be a better option! 

Best 

Bryn 

You essentially have 2 options to go digital later:

Fit your analog motor with a suitable decoder - such as the AD-*FX range

Or - fit a Digital IP in the first place and power it from your DCC bus. Control it by using two pushbuttons or a spring to centre SPDT switch connected to the PBS terminals 7/8/9.

You could even just use one pushbutton connected 7-9 and toggle the motor.

It's up to you whether you give it an address or not - they are happy working with either DCC commands or from the "manual" PBS terminals at the same time.

If it is powered from your track bus, then simply connect terminal 3 to your electrofrog.

If the polarity is incorrect, swap over the DCC IN feed wires.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team