Help with dismantling 1/76 Gorgi OOC 6 wheel Olympian double decker

xliverpoollad

Anyone know how to get into these..........the usual 2 vertical clamping rods are there but don't appear on the bottom of the baseplate..........is it a matter of brute force needed to separate the upper and lower deck castings?  Would appreciate some advice here! Thank you.

Alan,
Toronto

• RMweb Premium

With Corgi models you will probably have to drill through the base as near to the posts as possible.  This is the only way to release the posts. Be very careful levering the model apart as you can easily damage the glazing, best to ask someone who has taken this particular model apart.

Les & Phil ....thank you both for your thoughts ............interestingly, on this model the baseplate, on closer inspection, I found was actually part of the lower deck casting, not a separate piece as per many EFE and other OOC models I have dissected.  Painted black that wasn't immediately obvious without closer inspection.  Anyway rather than drill through that casting, I decided to apply limited force and leverage using a sharp 1" chisel to a corner joint between the upper and lower deck castings at the rear of the vehicle;  thus was able to achieve the desired result without damage to the parts or fingers!     Paint stripping in the garage awaits warmer weather.

These particular models, which represent vehicles used in Hong Kong, have liberal amounts of printing spread over the glazing, so that will be another challenge.........will carefully try the usual nail varnish remover trick first ..............but again anyone......any other suggestions would be welcome.

Alan
Toronto (@ -14C tonight)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xliverpoollad said:

Les & Phil ....thank you both for your thoughts ............interestingly, on this model the baseplate, on closer inspection, I found was actually part of the lower deck casting, not a separate piece as per many EFE and other OOC models I have dissected.  Painted black that wasn't immediately obvious without closer inspection.  Anyway rather than drill through that casting, I decided to apply limited force and leverage using a sharp 1" chisel to a corner joint between the upper and lower deck castings at the rear of the vehicle;  thus was able to achieve the desired result without damage to the parts or fingers!     Paint stripping in the garage awaits warmer weather.

These particular models, which represent vehicles used in Hong Kong, have liberal amounts of printing spread over the glazing, so that will be another challenge.........will carefully try the usual nail varnish remover trick first ..............but again anyone......any other suggestions would be welcome.

Alan
Toronto (@ -14C tonight)

That method worked for me, apply the chisel at the joint above the engine compartment and give it a whack. I'd expected to destroy the model (and wasn't bothered as I was only breaking open a worthless one to get the seating units out of it) but it's surprisingly still OK so I kept the bits in case I ever want to make a driver trainer with most seats removed in the future!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, xliverpoollad said:

Alan
Toronto (@ -14C tonight)

As stated many nail varnish removers contain acetone that will cloud the glazing. I use T-cut rubbing compound on a cotton bud to remove paint from glazing. This does leave minute scratches on the glazing but a coat of Johnson's Klear and the scratches disappear.

A solution of caustic soda will remove paint and printing from glazing (or anything else) and doesn't harm plastic or rubber. It will, however, quickly and painlessly eat into your flesh and nails without proper protection - use heavyweight rubber gloves, not the disposable latex or neoprene ones, and wear old clothes and goggles. Keep children and animals away from your well-ventilated (preferably outdoor) working area, and dispose of the solution as directed on the pack (it's often sold as drain cleaner) and thoroughly wash and rinse everything the solution came into contact with. Used properly, it is very effective.

• Like 1